• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crappie In April-Rochester Area?

Redbeard told me to try posting my question here-

I am looking for someplace close to Rochester Area where we can bank fish (not ice fish) the last week of April Bringing my 82 year old Dad up to Mayo's for a check up and he wanted to stop in Lacrosse on our way back to IL and cast near one of the rest areas and when he found out the shortest WISC out of state permit was the 4 day for 24.00 he said NO WAY for a couple hours. He likes to catch crappie best, but also fishes Bsss and walleye. Can anyone tell me where to try and take him to do this? And what is the best type of jig or lure to bring? Many thanks in advance.

Little Red.

Lake Winona is always a crappie(pan fish) hot spot... end of april should be a decent time to to be catching them off the docks..

I would also try Chester Woods Res. There's a fishing pier there but you usually just catch a gazillion small one's from the pier. Depending how mobile your dad is you can walk around the lake trying diferent area's. It's $5 for a one day pass in the park. For jigs I always use mini mite tiped with a wax worm, either purple or green. There is a bait store just north of Rochester on HWY 63 called Hooked on Fishing, you can buy them there. Chester Woods is on HWY 14 east of Rochester about 5 miles or so.

There's a lake right downtown called silver Lake but I am not very familar with that lake.

Good Luck.

Like Chessie man said you could try Chester Woods. Bass, crappie, and Sunfish can be caught out there. Minnows under a bobber and small jigs or tubes will work.

Silver Lake is also another spot to try. A lot of water to fish, above or below the dam are both good. I've caught crappie at Silver, mainly using minnows under a bobber. Small white or red/chart tubes work well for me. Silver Lake also has many other species including Smallmouth bass, Largemouth Bass, Perch, Suckers, Carp, Drum, Catfish, and the occasional Pike. A half a crawler on the bottom will catch all these species. If you want to target just bass using model F7-F11 floating rapala crankbaits in silver/black or orange/red work very well for me. Casting them parallel to the shore with a slow to moderate retrieve.

Hope this helps.

I'd hold off on the bass fishing in silver lake until the season opens though.

Maybe try Foster Arends for some trout, special regs. have it open year round. Just a fathead about 6' under a bobber should work, or power bait. Could also cast some spoons out there.

He said stopping in LAX on the way home...Well an idea that might work, but is a little more out of the way would be to fish from wabasha to nelson. Plenty of shore fishing there and it should be good that time of year. Plus you can use the MN license you buy for around Rochester. That would be the only spot you would have to fish for bass and walleye legally- the Miss. river. It is closed here until May.

Thanks for the info guys.

My dad is starting to think the computer is pretty useful!!!

Little Red

• 2 weeks later...

You could also try the public fishing area on Lake Zumbro just north of town. By that time you should be able to find some crappies in that area, also there are some dandy bluegills and a very good chance at a stray pike or channel cat as well.

I guess I would second the Chesterwoods option, especially if your able to walk some. There are some smaller shallow bays not far from the landing past the big public fishing pier that should be starting to hold fish here soon if we continue with the sunny days. Go with either a small tinsel tail jig and a minnow or a small paddletail plastic with a 1/64 oz. jig.