• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Patching ice house sled?

KTapper

Question

Does anyone know of a good product I can use to patch some worn holes in my ice house sled? Once it is patched I will be putting hyfax on to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks guys!

26 answers to this question

I just discovered the same problem with mine after five years of use.I was thinking a fiberglass repair kit might work.I am also going to put on hyfax after the repair.

Maybe? I'm not sure but I just need something that will mainly keep the snow out and have a little strength to it.

No the holes are on the front and back of the sled. But I forgot about JB weld I think that is the winner! thanks

jb weld and parts of a kids sled should do the trick for ya just add a healthy dose of jb so it wears good..

The good thing will be is when I get the hyfax I wont have to worry about the spot wearing out.

My sled was worn along one entire edge so basicly I had a slit from front to back. I used a plastic 50 gal barel and cut out a peace big enough to go from the second rib and fold up the side about 4" and it goes from front to back . Used a heet gun to form it to a perfect fit atatched it with machine screws washers and nuts and sealed it with silicon. When I started this project I thought the sled was going to need to be replaced and was just tring to get by for awhile but it turned out so well i fell its better then new as the barel plastic is much more durable and I will be covering the rest of the sled when the ice is gone.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Fishin, I have 2 holes in mine also. frown Any way to send pix's of your repair work?

Thanks, I have some barrels ready to cut up! smile

Do plastic welds hold strong?

If you find someone that welds plastic professionally such as on dog kennels they probably have a high quality plastic welder. The welds hold as well as the plastic since it creates a permanant bond due to the melting of the base plastic and the new plastic to each other. The trick is to find the right type of plastic filler rod as the base plastic. Some plastics are just not ment to be welded...

i havent really had many problems with worn holes and that stuff with my otter sled it is durable and it is just about indestructable with highfax on it.

Seriously though i have plastic welded many items over the years and when it works there is nothing better.

Two words, MIGHTY PUTTY! grin

Thats funny I should have known Billy Mays always has the answer! lol

Thanks everyone for the responses I can't wait to get her fixed and ready to go for next year!

fishin, pineconesta @ usfamily.com Leech

panfish, your right about the ottersleds but anything can be broke if you try hard enough grin