• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish preservation for taxidermy

I feel like this is kind of a dumb question, but please bear with me as I haven't gone through this process before...Before you freeze the fish, do you let it die? Do you wrap it and freeze it when it is somewhat alive? If you let it die...what is the best way to go about this to ensure the fish doesn't tear itself up? Leave it in the livewell without aeration?

I uaually try to get it to the taxi and let him take care of it. I know he uses a lead pipe to dispatch the fish then freezes it. I have also just froze them alive seem cruel but it will stop it thrashing better if it sits in the dark cold freezer

In the summer putting the fish on ice can preserve it. Warp fish in a towel until it dies then switch towel for saran warp when I get home.

It's interesting that everyone is so concerned with keeping a trophy to do a mount. I have a 29" walleye being mounted right now that wouldn't swim away. I tried to revive it but she was just done. If the fish would have made it back down the hole it probably would have died anyway.

As far as walleyes are concerned, the most fertile spawners are in the 20-26 inch range. Keeping a big one for the wall is not a big deal, because that fish's days are numbered anyway. What people should be concerned about is someone keeping a 4-6 lb walleye to eat, that's what hurts more than anything...

3-7+ lb walleyes produce to more, and better eggs for spawning. Thats the main reason for the state way slot. I have released some large eyes in the past. I Had 1 mounted 20+ yrs ago, from prior lake. Last I caught a 10.2lb walleye that had the hook in it's gullet.Since it would have died if released, it got mounted. I'll be mounting fish for others this summer also.

Clients on my guide trips that catch a master angler award fish, I'll mount for Half price. Second trip 75% off, 3rd guide trip it's mounted for free.