• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish preservation for taxidermy

If you catch a fish and you want it mounted, what is the proper procedure to follow to keep the fish in the condition that the taxidermist needs?

Looking for info on Winter and Summer.

Thanks.

I as well use the beach towel and freeze it. I wet the towel first, that way you know all the fins will freeze and not break off. Replicas are good way to go as well. Keep those fish swimming!

I have wrapped the fish in white dish towels/cheese cloth, make sure all fins are folded in and protect the tail from breaking by playing cardboard or something around it, then I put the whole fish into a box and into the freezer.

ditto on what riverrat said, I recently dropped one off and he said the most important thing to do is make sure the fins are folded in or down or whatever so they don't break. Another obvious one would be not to let it flop around in thebottom of the boat or on the ice so it doesn't damage itself.

Yep, what they said. Wrap in wet towel and freeze. Or in my case take off your hoodie sweatshirt, pour water all over it and wrap in that...........gotta do what ya gotta do.

my buddy had a northern mounted earlier this year and he was told to take some close up pictures of it. you can also call the taxidermist and ask i would recommend using Arrowed 1 taxidermy in big lake he does excellent work on everything and is the fairest price around u can check out the website also but thats just my recomondation

Shawns taxidermy in Buffalo also does a good job, has a website also and very good prices.........

the last one I did , I put it in freezer paper and cardboard on the tail. worked good

Close up pictures will help the taxidermist out a ton. If you have a fish with unique characteristics, try to take the picture as soon as possible. I had a walleye done a couple years ago and this fish had bright orange fins. Without the picture, I would not have been able to get the fish to look how I wanted.

For Panfish and crappies I have vacuum packed and put in a small box in freezer. keeps fins tight and freezer burn off the fish. Always has worked well for me. Probably will work for larger fish also.

Another place to consider is Danny Beck's taxidermy in Isle. He does excellent jobs for all species.

Never wrap a fish with a wet or dry towel then freeze, it'll take the color out've the scales unevenly making it harder to airbrush the colors back in when mounting.

Always wrap a fish with sarah wrap several times or a plastic bag first then take 5 or 6 layers of soaking wet newspaper, wrap it in that then place in a plastic bag and freeze. The sarah wrap will save the colors, the wet newspaper keeps it from freeze drying and also protects the fins from breaking in the deepfreeze because once they're froze they are very delicate.

I've had fish in the freeze for over two years and still we're in excellent to work with and mounted up great.

Throwing a fish on ice in a cooler without putting it in a plastic bag will discolor the fish uneven also.

Sorry about the long email but getting in a fish to mount not cared for in te proper way is one of my pet peeves.

Provide a picture a also because fish coloration will vary from region to region.

Fishmounter, I just noticed your avantar with the Spear through the Northern. That is a pretty unique mount.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

another vote for danny beck out of isle

Fishmounter, you do any competitions with your mounts? I would like to come see your set-up.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Fishing Realtor take some measurements and a few pictures and let it go and have a replica made so someone else has a chance to catch that same fish. It may cost a little more but it save on the fishery.

with the replicas' taxidermy really can save some of the fish. Yet, you can get a a very good mount.

with the replicas' taxidermy really can save some of the fish. Yet, you can get a a very good mount.

Might save some fish but doesnt save on your pocketbook

Well I guess i look at it as saving the future of lakes for the next generation. As much as a lot of people spend on boats and tackle whats an extra $100 for a big fish to get mounted if that much. Plus a replica will look a lot nicer 10 years down the road.

1775tiller, that is a very good point. The other benefit is you would have a walleye that really looks like a walleye. Not a baseball bat.

I bet most people wouldn't think twice about dropping $200 or even $300 dollars on a new rode but to spend an extra $100 for a good mount that will last a lot longer they won't do that. I have more fun catching and releasing big fish knowing that someone has a chance to catch it later, as much presure as lakes get more people need to do that or the future of fishing is done.

I feel like this is kind of a dumb question, but please bear with me as I haven't gone through this process before...Before you freeze the fish, do you let it die? Do you wrap it and freeze it when it is somewhat alive? If you let it die...what is the best way to go about this to ensure the fish doesn't tear itself up? Leave it in the livewell without aeration?