• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

any good venison brat recipes?

vister

I have posted this in the cooking forums, but am looking for some venison brat recipes as i am laid off, and incredibly bored. I would like to make italian, jalapeno cheddar, and regular bratwurst. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated, good or bad, as i can modify them a bit if needed. I just need a solid starting point. I've got a good grinder with the stuffing tubes, and the casings. Just no recipes! Thanx a lot!

Schamps in Pequot area made some wildrice, mushroom and venison brats that were the best I have ever had. Wish I could figure out how they do it.

My dad has made his own sausage for the last 4 or 5 years and he buys a kit with the seasoning and cure and directions all in one and it turns out really good. He gets all of his recipes from the same company off the net and justs adds a little to it but im not sure i can post the website on here. But if i were you i would look for somekind of kit and just try a few until you find one you like. Good luck.

I have looked at kits of all kinds, for an average of a buck a pound just for the seasonings. When the main ingredient is salt, well, i'm sure it is cheaper to make your own seasonings. I have tried the kits before in making snack sticks, and yes, they were great. But if it is going to cost a dollar a pound just to season the works, it would be cheaper having it professionally done.

Yo Vister, that old tough buck you got last year, no wonder you're grinding it up, just kidding, hey, how about a butt load of sauerkraut and a butt load of Charmin. I'd go half fairly plain and half cajun, used to get cajun style from NYM locker plant and they were I thought very well done. Slovene has an idea for ya, I'm out of dodge.

Sorry, I thought you had the brats made and were looking for a recipe to go with the brats, sorry.

ANybody know a good wiener recipe. I"m trying to find a way to make a pile of hot dogs form my venison since the kids don't like eating the big brats. I also like a good hot dog on the grill.

Powerstroke, I believe the suasagemaker site has weiner seasonings, go to sheep casings and then run the meat through the course grind then when stuffing leave the blade and the smaller grindingplate on and you'll get the weiner consistency. I made the mistake of leaving my knife on with the grinding plate and ended up with a bunch of bratdogs this fall. The kids liked them and although they looked a little oversized they tasted good too. I was using hog casings.

Tunrevir~

We made jalapeno and cheddar brats this year and they came out awesome. Mix up what ever kit/homemade seasoning you want and then pour in about a half can of beer into the meat just before you start cramming it in casings, keeps it moist.

There is a place called penzey spices in the cities that sells bulk spices. They are pretty reasonable and tasty. If you are making jalapeno cheddar brats let me suggest using high temp cheese. It holds together better when you cook so you get 'cheese' chunks instead of exra grease when you cook them. I get mine from the local meat market.

hay vister eagle bend has good cheddar brats if you would like to try some let me no i have alot give me a call rob w