• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coyote tactics

redogman67

I am interested in coyote hunting and was wondering how everyone else hunts 'em. I got a savage .270 and a 20ga Winchester, I know I would have to get some calls (probable mouth calls, unless anyone can recommend a good economical electric?) and some camo. I am interested to hear about the different ways people setup. Whats better night hunting with shotgun or day hunting with rifle? Most info seems to be geared toward more prairie type areas and here around Duluth we dont really have any of that. SO what is good tactics for more heavy wooded areas? If I were to use the shotgun how do you see them at night? Spotlight? And what size buck shot would be good? I dont know anyone personally who hunts 'em so I would really appreciate any info someone can shed. wink

I would definitely go with a mouth call for distress sounds, and I personally love a howler like the Red Desert for coyote sounds. There is no need to hunt at night, it's fun, but especially during breeding season they are very willing to come in during the day.

I live in Int'l. Falls and don't do much hunting up here because of the number of wolves and trees. I really don't know an effective way to set up in the thick stuff, so if I do go around here it's usually to rivers or whatever fields I can find. I have had really good luck over the past few weeks in NW MN, they have really been coming in nice to coyote vocalizations.

Good luck, this is a very addicting sport, especially if you have some success!

They are definitely in the Duluth area. I hunt gravel pits, fields, and clear cuts. Do your scouting and talk to land owners. Their the ones feeding the boilers at night and hearing the howls. Rabbit in distress (hand call) hasn't failed me yet. To get them even closer put a mechanical rabbit out.