• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

spears

TonkaBass

I was just wondering where a guy could get ahold of some nice creek spears for suckers. Something that is nice and hard and wont break with the abuse of throwing it in the rocks. Cheap is also good cause I'll probably want a few. Thanks

Rocks and Spears dont mix dude!!! I had a rock in my spear hole a few years ago and that is where the fish would always come in and i bent my spear when i threw at a good fish. I have now idea where you could get a cheap spear at... Sorry

Make one out of a Craftsman pitch fork, my buddies do it for carp in the river all the time. If it breaks then go return it and get a new one for free.

There is no such thing as a rock proof spear for cheap. A spear that won't bend and break will be made of spring steel, 5/16 inch diameter, short tines, large barbs, hardened tips. Put that together I doubt you could touch it for under 250.00, and even that won't hold up to being driven into the rocks. Rocks make me shiver!! Those fleet farm frog spears won't take one hit, and they'll be junk! If you're handy, I'd say build some, and expect to fix a lot.

Fisherking nailed it "I'd say build some, and expect to fix a lot."

I always use old junk spears fix em up and repair them a lot. If you're worried about you're spear or take a split second to think about what it may hit you'll never hit a thing. I don't know anyone who grows to attached to a creek spear.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a couple a few years back out of old potato forks. I cut some barbs in them and welded them to a pipe half filled with concrete. I had to do quite abit of grinding on the tines to get them sharp enough though, They seemed to hold up prety well.

Bend the tines straight on a silage or pitch fork works good enough for sucker spearing then try to cut some barb on them if you can. Its better then buying even a cheap spear and throwing it once only to have half of the tines bent the wrong way.