• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Silvers

UncleKes

This may be a bit basic, but here goes anyway? I got into White Bass in a big way a few years ago and want to know when the best time to fish them in open water is. Is it right after ice out or should I wait a few weeks until the water gets a bit warmer. I am through fishing hard water for the year and am looking forward to the open water season.

Thanks;

Uncle Kes

want to know when the best time to fish them in open water is. Is it right after ice out or should I wait a few weeks until the water gets a bit warmer.

Thanks;

Uncle Kes

Uncle Kes, I think the very best time is the height of summer, but I have done very good on them in the last week of April. I do know that you can't buy a white bass bite on the Misssissippi in early April then about mid April (when the walleyes are done spawning) You can't keep them off the line.

So I'd say mid April on...

Keep catchin'

Turk

The upper part of the St. Croix south of Taylors falls to just above Stillwater is early season white bass territory. I have found that from early to mid April they will be schooled up and active in certain areas of the river. They seem to like the current breaks next to faster moving water to dart out and swat an offering. Typically once you find one there are plenty more behind that one. I think they tend to drop back into the larger basin of the St. Croix later into the summer and suspend and chase the shad that are schooling. Oftentimes, you will see them breaking the surface and the gulls will be divebombing from above to eat the leftovers. I'll start my hunt for the whities in the next week or two and fish them hard till the Croix opens for walleye and sauger. Lots of fun on the lighter tackle!

Tunrevir~

I'm planning on hitting stillwater the last week of april. I'm thinking those backwaters and flooded trees will be prime spots...perhaps some bonus crappies as well? I've found that in smaller rivers (vermillion for example) that is the best place to find the the silvers.

hey tunrevir,

itchin for them silvers too huh! yeah i can't wait either. just been waitin for the water to get a little warmer. hopefully by next week or so they start movin in. hey here's my email if you want to go out there and meet up sometimes. it's [email protected].

Hey J! I figured you be lurking looking for the latest info on those bad boys. I won't get out this weekend but am hoping to start making regular trips a couple times a week starting next week. I'll give you a holler and we can prospect for some whitebass in the near future.

Tunrevir!

drove by the taylors fall area yesterday and the water was movin pretty fast and water level was high. didn't see no more ice any where along the river so i'm guessing not to long from now and them silvers will be poppin. hey tunriver i'll probably give it another week or so till i start headin out there. i'll keep you posted.

Next week might be a bit too soon, but can any shorefishing for silvers be had at copus, osceola, franconia, or somerset landings?

It is a bit early yet but probably the best area for shorefishing is at the state park on the minnesota side by the boat launch. Some nice boulders and sand transitions and sandy bottom areas just out of the current. Franconia may produce a few suckers and redhorse or an odd cat or two . The osceola landing may start holding some crappies in the side channel areas and there may be some whitebass hanging by the bridge. Copas is a possibility but with high water there isn't much area to move around right now especially with the high banks next to the landing.

Tunrevir~

This sucks! I have free time up the wazoo next week but nowhere to fish! There's too much water flowing and it's all way to cold! mad

Stoped down at Franconia today and fishing from shore would be hard to do with where the water was at. Setting up a rod tonight to give Osecola a shot this weekend ya just never know til ya try.

• 2 weeks later...

hey jville were u fishin near the state parks. i usually fish more from the stateparks and downstream of it.

Yes, Wis. and MN side, nothing. But maybe this weekend might be good, with the weather warming up. It won't be too long!

Jloomis, you been out? How has the fishing been? I was out on Weds and managed a few but mostly slow. Things should really get going in the next week. 43.6 on my locater. Hoping to get out this next week a couple times with the tincan:)

Tunrevir~

The silvers are by the plant pretty thick. The problem is they are not willing to bite with all the shiners stacked in there. Best time to catch them would be early morning. Is it illegal to catch the shiners for bait?

The silvers are by the plant pretty thick. The problem is they are not willing to bite with all the shiners stacked in there. Best time to catch them would be early morning. Is it illegal to catch the shiners for bait?

Dont you mean Gizzard Shads? Schools of White Bass may run through the excel plant area due to the warm water discharge. I dont think they are really holding in that area and the action is probably sporadic at best. But if you are looking for action I would say the start of next week north of Stillwater on the Croix beggining with Taylors Falls downwards. Your gonna need to be on a boat...

hey tunrevir, i was out friday for most of the day and it was dead. the water was only at 45 by the time i left and that was around 5 pm. i'm thinkin by the end of this week it should be poppin. probably won't go back out til fri. let me know how u do if u go out this week.

fishn, it is legal to catch the shiners (or shad) and use them for bait. But you can't transport them, so basically, you can use them where you caught them only.

Thanks for the update JL. My next foray will probably be this Thursday unless my son has ball practice. I'll be over in Wisc. for the weekend checking conditions on the Flambeau.

Tunrevir~

fishn, it is legal to catch the shiners (or shad) and use them for bait. But you can't transport them, so basically, you can use them where you caught them only.

Unfortunately you cannot legally harvest shad on the St Croix and use them for bait. Reference Page 15, 2009 Minnesota Fishing Regulations.

"It is unlawful to: harvest bait (minnows, frogs, crayfish or other wild animals) from infested waters (pages 16 & 17).

Exception: Harvest for personal use is permitted in waters infested SOLELY with Eurasian watermilfoil. Harvested bait must ONLY be used in the water from which it is harvested. Bait may only be harvested using cylindrical minnow trap (pages 70 & 71).

Because the St Croix is infested with Zebra Mussel it is unlawful to harvest bait from its waters. So it is unlawful to harvest shad or any other minnows from the St Croix.

I harvest my own bait and I would love to harvest bait from the St Croix unfortunately I cannot legally do so - BUMMER.

A buddy of my said he cought some sliver. He was lucky this week and got out to WO'Brain state park. He told me a couple of boats out their. They were catching fish he said!!! I guess I'll try it out this week.

Good Luck Everyone!!!

So if I caught a shad I couldn't hook it onto my line and use it at that same spot? Interesting. Can you use them as cut bait? I never trap or net minnows anywhere, ever (too lazy), just curious.

So if I caught a shad I couldn't hook it onto my line and use it at that same spot? Interesting. Can you use them as cut bait? I never trap or net minnows anywhere, ever (too lazy), just curious.

You could use it as cut bait with no problem. The issue is trying to curb the spread of invasive species. They limit the harvesting of bait so that you cannot transport live bait using the water from infested waters. Unless you become familiar with the rules and regulations on harvesting bait it is easy to make a mistake - all the regs and the different locations that are restricted are a bit confusing.

I'm confused. A year ago i was catching some emerald shiners in the minnehaha creek to fish in the mississippi river and the dnr guy came up to me and asked what i was doing. I told him i was catching them for bait to fish the river. He didnt say it was illegal. He just checked my license and went on his way. I'll have to ask a CO on the Croix to see if he/she knows or call their office.

I'm confused. A year ago i was catching some emerald shiners in the minnehaha creek to fish in the mississippi river and the dnr guy came up to me and asked what i was doing. I told him i was catching them for bait to fish the river. He didnt say it was illegal. He just checked my license and went on his way. I'll have to ask a CO on the Croix to see if he/she knows or call their office.

Minnehaha Creek is infested waters. See the 2009 Minnesota Fishing Regulations,Page 16, Eurasian Watermilfoil, Hennipen County. Technically, that CO should have ticketed you for harvesting bait from infested waters. You got lucky!!

So back to the original thread, anyone been getting any whitebass on the Croix yet? They should be hitting this week with all of the warm weather we've had.

Tunrevir~

I went out yesterday afternoon north of the high bridge and did not catch a thing.Do you guys use live bait at all?

This time of year I use a crank as a search lure and work shoreline points and eddies, I also like to use small mepps spinners and shad or twister tailed plastics as search lures when looking for the white bass. Find one and you usually find more and they can be pretty aggressive. I like to take some livebait with just in cast the artificials aren't producing but many times I catch fish on artificials without ever having to dunk a minnow.

Tunrevir~