• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marine Radio

fishhuntwork

Thinking about installing a marine radio in my boat. Just wondering if its worth buying one or don't they get used once they are there?

I'm putting one in my boat right now...I've held out for the past few years and it took me one night of engine trouble on the river to realize. It's one of those things that you might not use much but will really thank yourself for putting one in when you do need it. If you run in current or any larger bodies of water I think it's a must. Having the ability to listen to weather stations and communicate with barge traffic or other boats is a big win in my book. Search the boats and motors forum for VHF Radio Recommendations for some past discussion on the subject.

Dont know about the lakes you fish bit on lake superior its a must. Matter of fact any big water , you break down and alot of resorts have them on listening. I know of 1 peron who got towed off mile lacs when he broke down. One never knows.

I fish the bigger lakes in mn and sometime the river too. I figure I may be able to get a tip or two from the lauch services also.

A few years ago I was fishing on Mille Lacs on a very rough day. Towards the end of my day, we heard a boat calling for help. We tracked them down three miles away and found two guys with engine problems in their new 23' boat getting blown across the lake. We towed them back to the boat launch.

I hope someone can return the favor to me some day. OK, some one already has when I broke my driveshaft in Bolder Bay on Eagle Lake.

They do come in handy at times.

I bought a hand held one that Shackbash was talking about last year. Works great for me. Have it on all the time on the Croix and Sippi.

I also have a hand held. Everytime I go to Rainy Lake I wonder how I did it without a marine radio, all the resorts use them. As for the Gitch, it is mandatory to have a form of communication. It is also nice to know the up to date local weather.

They are a good idea, plus a lot of fun when fishing with groups doing a little smack talking.

I just picked up a VHF radio and will install it as soon as the snow melts around here,,,I did check the CG requirements and a radio is not required for boats under 65 ft long for recreational purposes but it sure is a good idea to have one

LAS

I have a handheld in my boat which works for most conditions and on most waters. Some things to think about are how often you fish big water and what is the reach of the radio you are going to buy. Handhelds are nice for portability but tend have less range then hardwired units with the standup antennae. If you are going to be say 15-20 miles offshore then I'd go with the standup antennae and hardwired unit as you can get that kind of range.

Tunrevir~

Dont know about the lakes you fish bit on lake superior its a must. Matter of fact any big water , you break down and alot of resorts have them on listening. I know of 1 peron who got towed off mile lacs when he broke down. One never knows.

would not be out on superior without one.