• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

March 17 and 21 and 24 AND 26 ICE OUT

croixflats

This is what I'm looking at in St.Croix Beach. Ice is 3 to 6 ft out and starting to look rather dark in places specialy the point. I was up at the Bayport landing today at 11:30 and it sure didnt look like this. Though these are two seperate and differant bodies of water.

IMG_0017-1.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Last picture is just down from my house. Thought it would be interesting to document the ice outage from this spot as the water rises the next weak as it was forcasted.

-

The first picture is the point, you can see the darker ice out front. So for those who venture out in Bayport keep an eye on those points. Stage 675.85 feet

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... Can't wait.

Thanks for posting - hope to meet ya out there!

Tim

I'm sure we will. I plan on cutting back to 2 hour days and 3 day work weaks for more fishing time. grin So there will be no way anybody wont see my wake going by. I'll even stop and say hello.

I would have been at the GTG, but I was serving at Church.

I'll be out after open water for cats & croppies. Getting the boat ready today after work.

March 21 I figure by Tuesday water be up to clump of trees. As you can see the water is prety warm according to the dog.

IMG_0024.jpg

Stage 677.62 feet

March 24 looking good ice is getting darker and breaking up.

IMG_0003-1.jpg

-

OPEN WATER at the point grin

IMG_0006.jpg

Stage at 678.89 ft

Nice update. Looks like the ice is ready to rot away with just a bit more of this warm rain.

Its going fast. I drove over the Hudson bridge and it was opened up on the Wisconsin side maybe 1 mile south and almost to the middle of the river. Couldnt quit see from my end.

Pickin up the new rig tomorrow, can't wait to get out and run it!!! This weather all week isn't exactly helping...

Cool pictures croixflats! It is sure breaking up fast. Hopefully this cooler weather doesn't keep too long.

March 26 2009 ITS GONE! ITS GONE! ice is gone I droped the ball not sure when exactly ice went out the flue has been kicking my but lately. My guess was yesterday morning.

Looking across from St.Croix Beach

IMG_0023.jpg

_

Looking south past St.Marys point to Aton

IMG_0025.jpg

_

Looking north to Hudson

IMG_0016.jpg

Stage 681.64 ft

IMG_0014.jpg

Thanks. We may have 1 or 2 days before no wake is enforced

Goes in effect at 683 ft now is at 681.64 predicting up to 685 by Monday. Be tough getting around for Ice crappies or the Catfish but at least we have a little more than a month for it to go down before the opener on MAY 3 2009.

Man that happened fast! I will have to check out south of the Kinni and report back. I'm not sure what to expect down there?

ok ok..

now that the ice is GONE down there!!

WHose all heading out this weekend for crappies??

Here are the results from south of the Kinni....

Bluffs launch signs say closed, I beg to differ!

DSC02388.jpg

North - wide open!

DSC02391.jpg

South - wide open!

DSC02390.jpg

The water is high for sure and sounds like it ain't stopping. I think it will hit no wake before the end of tomorow.

Just came from Stillwater and you could still see a large sheet of ice to the south, like towards the highlines. Not sure how large that sheet is, but you can bet it will be movIng around with changing wind directions.

Interesting, There always has to be a stubborn one huh? With this weather wonder how long it will hang on?Thanks DonBo

-

Thanks for the report and pictures TommyK. Prety sight to see.

WOW - I just got back from a drive to Bayport. There sure is still a lot of ice from Bayport to Hudson. The river is clear of ice from Hudson to Prescott but that stretch of ice from just south of the King Plant to Hudson is still hanging on. I was hoping to be able to put my boat in at Beach House Marina and fish that stretch of water this weekend but she is iced in. Andersen Bay is all iced in. I guess I will have to come up with a Plan B. Chase cat either upstream of Stillwater or launch out of Beanies's. With the No Wake in effect it kind of limits how far you can run unless you want to take all day to get there. I want to get on the water.

Thanks SteveD. Thats one area I was wondering about have not been able to get out much. I was hoping to get out in that area to find those active cats or see where those crappies are..

Pardon my river ignorance but what do you mean when you mention we will be hitting no wake at xxx.xx

Here's the latest, straight from the DNR.

Slow no-wake boating restriction in effect on St. Croix River (March 27, 2009)

With spring snow melt and recent precipitation, water levels on the St. Croix River are projected to rise to the point where any early boaters will be required to slow down to minimize shoreline damage.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) expects that boats will be required to operate at slow no-wake speeds on the St. Croix between Taylors Falls and Prescott by Friday.

“With ice still covering parts of the St. Croix, one wouldn’t expect too many boaters,” said DNR river hydrologist Molly Shodeen. “But where there’s open water, some folks may be anxious to get out, and we want them to be aware of the restrictions.”

The special restriction, authorized by state rules in both Minnesota and Wisconsin, is triggered when the level on the St. Croix reaches 683 feet above sea level at Stillwater. Boaters should consult the National Weather Service Web site for the latest updates on current and projected water levels.

Officials from Wisconsin, Minnesota and the National Park Service will post signs regarding the slow no-wake requirement at all public accesses, and marina operators have been notified. The rule is aimed at reducing shoreline erosion and resulting property damage in areas not usually susceptible to wave action at lower water levels.

The slow no-wake rule will remain in effect until the water level again recedes below the 683-foot level. Boat and water safety officials at the DNR also point out that high-running rivers often contain debris floating just below the surface that can pose serious hazards. Boaters should slow down and exercise extra caution in such conditions.

Wonder how long it will take to fall below 683, I was really hoping to get out and run this weekend. Maybe pool 2 will work!

Looks like it will crest on Tuesday and dropping after that. If the weather holds out maybe a weak from Monday at the earliest.