• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gophers vs Bulldogs

redlake

This has the makings of a very entertaining game. Congrats to the gophers for sweeping St. Cloud. Also to the Dogs for humbling CC.

I see the game as a high scoring 6-5 or 5-4 game. The first game had a tie with the Dogs out-shooting the gophers 36-33. In the gopher win on Saturday (5-3) the dogs out-shot the gophers 31-27.

It always comes down to goaltending but I see the gophers chances hedged on their defense and limiting the bulldogs scoring chances.

It will be a great game to watch. I will be at the local watering hole with an ice-cold negra modello.

Go gophers!

Gophers 5

Bulldogs 4 (OT)

I hope your prediction is correct aside from the OT part. I hate playoff OT. It makes me too nervous haha. You aren't a Gopher fan are you?

Stalock scares me because he can be crazy good when he is on, but he can give games away when he is off. Kangas was almost rock solid the past three games but it will be interesting what happens to him on Thursday and hopefully moving on into the weekend.

I don't want to get my hopes too high but it looked like the gophers remembered to play defense last weekend. If they can sustain that it could be an interesting weekend. Whatever happens whoever takes the play-in-game easily beats the Sioux.

Whatever happens whoever takes the play-in-game easily beats the Sioux.

I'm curious why that is?

Right now, the Gophers and the Bulldogs have two of the last three at-large bids in the Pairwise...Thursday's game is big...loser might be out...

Actually, I ran some Pairwise Predictor stuff and some weird scenarios can happen. If things fall into place right, the winner of the play-in game could possibly be out if they lose the next two and the loser of the play-in game could still end up getting in. I think that is a scenario where the winner of the play-in game then goes on to lose to UND and lose to Wisconsin in the third place game. I think Wisconsin was the kicker in those scenarios because they too are fighting for a tournament bid. Weird to say, but the team that loses the play-in game might be better off. I would never wish for a loss so I hope the Gophers win two right off the bat and seal the deal to play in Mariucci for the regional.

bear55, I like the optimism, but I agree with Shorelunch. What makes you so sure whoever wins the play-in game will beat UND? I sure hope you're right, don't get me wrong. I just don't understand the arrogance after the second half that Minnesota has been through.

I think that Minnesota stands a good chance of getting in the Ncaa tourament even with a lost. What would hurt the gophers the most would be Wisconsin taking the Final Five.

Go gophers!

Gophers 5

Bulldogs 4 (OT)

Red did you log in under the wrong screen name "bit"... grin

Also I'm pretty sure REAL SIOUX Fans don't drink Dark, full-bodied, luscious Mexican ... beer.... grin

The game on paper is a coin flip and could go either way!

Should be good one 5-3 Gophers with an Empty netter!

Bulldogs take it 3-2 in regulation. Do or die for jr Stalock as the dogs have a fair number of good seniors on this team. Although I'm not going to the game, I'm super excited to watch it at home. Don't suppose they'll broadcast in HD?

I've looked at the pairwise and bracketology as well. Too many scenarios left to guess at the outcome, but a lot of it depends on if any teams with low pairwise rankins win their conference tourneys.

There are way too many scenarios. I have tried running a ton through the Pairwise Predictor. Its the "You are the Committee" link at http://www.collegehockeynews.com/. After awhile my head just starts to hurt with all the numbers and different possibilities. As long as there are no upsets in the other conference tourneys and the Gophers can win two games in the Final Five(the play-in game and either the sue game or the third place game), they should be in. I have a good scenario for the Gophers. Win the whole [PoorWordUsage] thing and I will see you at Mariucci for the regional! Seriously though, 2-1 for the Gophers in the Final Five would be enough to get them in. That's what I'm hoping for.

Originally Posted By: redlake

Go gophers!

Gophers 5

Bulldogs 4 (OT)

Red did you log in under the wrong screen name "bit"... grin

Also I'm pretty sure REAL SIOUX Fans don't drink Dark, full-bodied, luscious Mexican ... beer.... grin

The game on paper is a coin flip and could go either way!

Should be good one 5-3 Gophers with an Empty netter!

Simple things Pierre. Simple things. A good beverage and good hockey is all I ask for some days.

It is ok for me to root for the gophers isn't it?

Originally Posted By: Bear55
Whatever happens whoever takes the play-in-game easily beats the Sioux.

I'm curious why that is?

Just having some fun with the Sioux fans, I should have used a smiley.

Isn't it sort of sacriligious? smile

ONLY when they are playing against WI!!!! grin

Originally Posted By: redlake

ONLY when they are playing against WI!!!! grin

So you're saying the Gophers are less hated than Wisco?

Of course you can Red.

One you're a true Hockey Fan and two I know you want to see the Sioux kick the Snot out of us again on Friday! ..

And stop calling me Pierre I'm not French darn it.

Its Pier. A pier is a raised walkway over water, supported by widely spread piles or pillars....K?..... grin

YES!!!!! I always root against Wisconsin, unless they are playing a NON-WCHA team.

It is finally Thursday! So pumped for the game tonight! I suck at predictions but I have thought this one through.

Gophers 4

tUMD 2

Gopher Goals: White, Fairchild, Stoa, and Hoeffel(Empty netter to seal the deal)

1) Stalock will probably play well. I hope he's allowed to roam a bit.

2) Kangas is a bit of a mystery. Could be lights out great or could be an absolute sieve. I don't know what happened to him in the 2nd half of the season.

3) Penalty kill is better for Gophs and power play is better for Dogs

4) Xcel ice sheet makes it easier for Dogs to play their style. Olympic sized Mariucci still gives them problems. Can't wait for 2010 when Dogs get new ice.

5) Winner takes all. Loser hangs up the skates for the year unless they get a lot of help.

Best matchup between these two teams since 2004 when Gophers won in F5 and Bulldogs won in NCAA's!

Getting a brand new DECC if I'm not mistaken. Can't wait to take a road trip up there when it's finished. Duluth is the best roadtrip I have been on so far for Gopher hockey, although I have only been to one out of state game and that was only to Nodak. Nothing like being close to home for the Final Five, though!

New DECC arena info below. They are adding a new arena onto the DECC and also keeping the old one. Money was approved in a bill in 2008. The bill also included improvements for SCSU and Bemidji I believe. The DECC is my favorite place to watch hockey (I'm biased), but a lot of it has to do with the atmosphere and location and not so much the building. The Ralph is far and away the best venue I've seen.

Cut and pasted from arena.decc dot org:

"Construction Start Date: April 2009

Opening Date: December 31, 2010

Seating: 6,600 for men’s and women’s hockey; more than 8,500 for concerts

Job Creation: 300 full-time, union jobs at the peak of construction

Arena Design Team: Kansas City, Missouri-based HOK Sport, the world’s leading sports architecture firm, is teaming up with Duluth’s SJA Architects to design the new arena. The construction manager is Minneapolis-based Mortenson Construction. Among the projects on which HOK and Mortenson have collaborated in Minnesota are the Xcel Energy Center, the University of Minnesota’s new TCF Bank Stadium and the Twins’ new Target Field.

Economic Impact: All the new activities at the DECC will bring millions of dollars each year into our economy for shopping, lodging, dining and other purchases. The new arena will also dramatically increase the more than $750,000 in sales tax the DECC currently collects each year.

Project Cost: Just under $80 million for the entire project, which includes the new arena, skywalk, addition and a 475-car expansion to the DECC’s parking ramp. Construction of the ramp began October 1, 2008.

Funding Sources: The state of Minnesota is funding nearly 50% of the $80 million cost; the voter-approved 3/4 of 1% increase in the city food and beverage tax will fund 27%; UMD will fund 12% and the DECC will fund 11%."

one word- TERRIBLE!!!

Fairchild looked bad, not only him but the team too! Stoa/Barribal/Schroeds looked like they did not want to play. Just my opinion.

GO SIOUX! grin

where's the emotion? if you don't show up to play, you don't deserve to win, or get in to the NCAA tourney. madsick

Bulldogs made the Gophers play the kind of game they wanted. It used to be the other way around.