• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite opening day presentation

Turk

My favorite opening day presentation is a #4 or #1 split shot and #6 VMC octopus hook. I place the split shot about 18" from the hook.

Anyone else care to chime in about their favorite presentation?

Keep Catchin'

Turk

I have been hesitant fishing with a small weight on the river because I'm never sure if I am getting deep enough with the current and all. I use that presantation a lot on lakes.

Time for me to change things up this year.

In the past I liked the lindy rig style. For weight I usually used a 3/4 oz barrel so I was sure I was deep enough along with the #6 octopus hook.

My other is a shad rap for casting into shore or trolling the shallows.

This year I'm trying the three way with the dropper on a swivel above the leader. I think having the dropper so it slides gives you the choice of giving slack when you get that tap without having tension of the weight.

My go to is the lindy over the side with a #6 as well. If that doesn't work I'll go the three way or trolling cranks. Might even crack out some plastics as I'm learning more about them on Pool 4.

I'll probably start with a Lindy also. Minnows or crawlers. But I'll use whatever is working, no bias here.

A rod in each hand with a "custom" jig head tipped with a 2 1/2" or 3" Gulp! Minnow in Smelt or Watermelon Pearl. Or a Northland Rock Runner slip sinker and a 3ft Vanish snell with a bead, red hook, and a crawler.

A rod in each hand with a "custom" jig head tipped with a 2 1/2" or 3" Gulp! Minnow in Smelt or Watermelon Pearl. Or a Northland Rock Runner slip sinker and a 3ft Vanish snell with a bead, red hook, and a crawler.

And I thought that red hook was my little secret. Whatever you do, don't tell anyone about the chartreuse bead. smile

Sound more like your doing a TV comercial than sharing your opening day fishing rig. smilesmile

I will generally try to keep it pretty simple on opening weekend. I'll have a slip bobber set-up on one rod and a 1/4oz or 1/8oz jig on the other. Minnows are usually the bait of choice for us in the northland, that early in the season.

If the weather is nice at the stroke of midnight, we'll all go out and do some trolling on the shallow flats. A Shallow running minnow style crankbait is the hot ticket for that time of the year. Husky jerk-baits are one of my faves, however there are a number of other baits that will catch fish for you in that situation as well.

"Ace"

Ace guide service.

Beautiful Lake Vermilion.

No TV commercial, I'm camera shy so I just type the brands in my posts. wink

I'll dull it down...

Jig and plastic or lindy and crawler grin

Lindy rig, light as weight as the water level/current allows. Trolling shad raps on the sand flats/breaks is also killer.

I usually vertical jig in one hand and drag a lindy with the other and then got to whats workin the best. Also going to try the 3 way method with cranks as a search and destroy tactic.

3 way rigs towing a crawler or shiner, for me. I also like a weighted Husky Jerk. 2nd on my list, would a vertical jigging with a Foxee jig and a yellow Mr. Twister in moderately warm water and a jigging spoon or blade bait like a Heddon Sonar in cold.

I have good luck with blade baits and jigging spoons when they are suspended.

I start out casting and trolling cranks for the super shallow and aggressive fish then as the morning wears on I'll do a little jigging and rigging.

Tunrevir~

I am the last person who usually catches an eyball but a colored hook, fathead or shiner and a snell of 6 to 8 ft going real slow out side the weedlines.

Tunrevir-

How early do you get out there. I love casting cranks for eyes. Would i have any luck doing this from the stillwater area down to the afton area. I have never thought about trying it on the river. I do quite a bit on lakes in the evenings though.

cold beer and good times had by good friends that is my presentation and it has worked very good fo the last 16 years

River-newbie, I hit the river as early as I can get out. I go out of the bluffs a lot so I'm out at six for sure. Now, if you wanna go earlier, go to one of the other places like Beanies. Yes you "should" have luck with that presentation from stillwater to aften. One the about the river, be prepared to try a few different presentations out there. Just never know what they are going to hit.

aaagghghhhhhh I can't wait for the opener. ss9iron here. I sold my boat last year so I did/t hit the river at all. I bought a new rig in December and it's been in storage ever since. I've been through all my tackle, put new line on all my reels even bought a few new ones.

Jig and a minnow will be my strategy although when good advice is given out I'll try something new. I remember using a minnow a hook and a split shot while fishing with a guide up in northern minnesota. I didn't think to use that in the river with the current and all but I may give it a go. Anyhow, I'm busting at the seams here. Look forward to seeing you all on the river.

Can't wait either. I'm planning on pulling and casting cranks in the morning in some higher current areas to start out. Will probably switch up and do some bottom bouncing and rigging later in the day.

I'll start the day off with a prayer for safety for everyone who's on the water and ask the good Lord to bless us all that our day be filled with memories that will last a life time, then I'll, see what the weather is like! wink

Ha Ha laugh

Dan i figured you were the type of guy that would head out in any weather! Or do you try to fish the fronts and not waste your time if the weather conditions aren't right? Just kinda funny to see you say that your going to check the weather. I pray for a safe trip every time out also! If only i could will the fish into my boat.

Yeah the weather has not stopped me, I've been out in some really bad stuff over the years in which I shouldn't have but I like riding storms out, the weather conditions dictate the presentation, along with other factors, high water, rain ,warm or cold, bait in water, current plays a big role, opening day on the Croix over the years has always been great! remember lighter is better when comes to jiggin and riggin, floaters with split shots, also small hooks on light line for riggin lets the minnow or crawler be more natural cool

The last couple openers was riggin for me...This yr. im broadening my horizon and gonna be doing alot of jigging and gonna try and figure out cranks cuz i never have success with them

what types of plastics can you use to catch em?

My favorite is a 3-5foot lindy leader with a red hook a chart. bead(maybe two).

#2- A nice Green jighead with a shiner/fathead