• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I posted this on the BWCA forum but didn't get much of a response. I thought maybe the Vermilion forum may produce more results.

A group of us make our annual June trip to Trout Lake (through Vermilion) and fish the lakes close to that area available through portage or paddle. The fishing is always good. One guy on the trip is a tried and true Virginia "ranger" and threatens us with a portage trip into Buck and Western lakes. He lives on his memories of those lakes in his youth in the 1980's and early 1990's. He swears the walleye bite is unbelievable and worth every bit of the portage effort.

My question is this. Has anybody been into those lakes lately? If so how are the portages after the blow down? More importantly is the fishing as good as my friend remembers? Basically would you make the extra effort when we do well in Trout, Little Trout, Oriniack, and Pine just about every year?

Bob (you know who you are) I don't want your opinion...I've heard it for years and I want an independant, unbiased report!!

I have not been into Buck in years but we always caught tons of walleyes there! Most of them were around 2 pounds.

spinners with minnows or rapalas trolled behind the canoe worked best for me.

Do not know what the portage is like now. It was rough the last time I was in there.

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could help with info on Buck, but I haven't been in there, and I don't know of anyone who has recently. Pine, Little Trout, and Oriniack have always been good, but my guess is that if you can get into Buck, the fishing would be great. It's simply a case of the amount of effort involved in getting in there! It's keeping any significant number of people from going in.

Paul.

I'm the one from Virginia that walleye guy is talking about. I've been back in there before but it's been several years since I've been able to convince my group that the trek is worth it vs fishing on Trout, oriniack,or Pine.

I know the fishing is very good. It's always been a bit of an adventure to get back there. Some folks even tried the creek from pine to buck one year and no one I know has ever tried that again!

Has anyone been back on the portages to Buck and from Buck to Western since the big blow down? That area did get some damage and I'm wondering what shape the portages are in. If the portages are ok the trip is worth making in my opinion.

Do you normally come in to Buck from Cummings or Crab?

We have talked about visiting those lakes while fishing on Pine but have never made it in there. It's a long way back in there regardless of which way you go.

We are going to hit Pine in late May for the first time in many years.

Steve

When we go to Buck/Western I've come from Pine Creek to Crab, then to Buck. Both portages are about 260 rods or so. I'm wondering if anyone has been through there in the past 5 years and what condition the portages are in. If they have kept the portages cleaned up after trees have fallen then the portage is not so bad. The portage from Cummings to Buck is a long one. I've gone into Cummings from Burntside lake (there is also an old logging trail that get's you closer but I think beavers have dammed that up. Cummings is outstanding for smallmouth and pike but no walleyes.

There is a BWCA and Quetico site that's worth checking for this info.."Quiet Journey" should get you there..

I read that thread and it reaffirmed my belief that the trip is too much work!