• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dookie Patrol and dealing with dog by products

Scott M

Well, did a little spring cleaning this weekend and cleaned up after the dog in the back yard.

I am wondering what everybody else does as far as a clean up schedule in the winter...In the growing season I'm mowing the lawn or raking leaves so I have to get to the doodoo weekly or every other week. This was my first winter and I dont really want to have to spend a couple hours filling two grocery bags with my dog's weight in feces again.

Second question to add on: What do you do about the urine spots? I'm seeing lots of yellow spots across the lawn...I suppose the obvious answer is restrict her to a certain area, but what else should I try and what works as far as rehabbing those spots? Maybe I should ask the Lawn and Garden folks?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

In the winter i try to keep up with the cleaning like once a week or 2 weeks and then right before i know there a big storm coming that will cover it all up. I can never get all of it bc sometimes i get lazy and some gets covered but then once the snow startes melting in the mid winter thaw and in spring i try to doit every couple days. I made the mistake of leting it go till spring last year and will never do that again.

There are alot of good ideas in the Lawn and Garden section about your spots.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...ard#Post1778570

for the spots use gypsum. Its good for urince spots and the blvd where all the salt gets piled up from plowing all winter.

We try to pick up the dookies as it happens. Sure, we miss a few, but there has been very little cleanup for us as the snow melts.

I pick up dog Doo daily, summer, fall, winter and spring. I have two dogs and if I didn't keep up on it, it would be nasty. I spent 1/2 hour yesterday cleaning up some that I missed.

Yellow spots...... we give the dogs tomatoes or juice.

Good Luck,

Mike

I find winter dookie duty to be easy. I set up a 5 gallon pail with a garbage bag in it somewhere nearby. Then as I take the dog out, while he's making a new pile, I clean up the last pile by shoveling it into the pail. By doing it this way, the one I'm picking up is frozen and easier to deal with. When the pail's full I tie it off and toss it in the garbage.

Keeping the dog using just one area of the lawn helps immensely for clean up.

I wish we would have picked up all winter...maybe next year! With two big labs, the piles sure add up. Pooop soup is what we call it at this time of year. For the urine spots, gypsum works best. It's available at any place that carries a good supply of lawn and garden products...including the big box stores. We will put it down once the snow is gone and there is rain in the forecast. Use a spreader to do the whole yard and then put a little more in the bad spots.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I put some gypsum down tonight. This stuff is just like a miracle potion or what? Keep applying it through the summer to green things up then?

I am lucky my lab likes to dump in the tall weeds and grass.

Creates a nice clean yard. smile

Well, I put some gypsum down tonight. This stuff is just like a miracle potion or what? Keep applying it through the summer to green things up then?

We just do it once in the spring and once in the fall. I think the only other thing it does is break down clay soil...which I don't have in Anoka...but YES! it's a miracle potion on the dog spots!!

Saw star trib had an article about keeping a dog and a green lawn and how these things don't go hand in hand. One commenter provided the following link that explains why dog owners often see yellow spots in their grass

Debunking 'dog blight' myths

Whoever wrote the article in the Star Trib must not be familiar with common lawn maintainance. I'm sure that many...MANY...dog owners on this site use gypsum with good results. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot, especially while the grass is still brownish. That way the spots will green up with the rest of the grass.

Good Luck

I'm sure that many...MANY...dog owners on this site use gypsum with good results.

I sure hope you're right. Over the winter I let the dog do his thing in the front yard, thinking the snow would dilute it. This was NOT the case and my wife is PO'd! I bought a bag of gypsum and will put it down next week.

I pick up the doo once a week during the warm weather months. In the winter I just let it lay while it's cold and there is enough snow so it's not unsightly. With two big dogs it is mess come spring though.

Where can you buy that gypsum. Do i have to leave the pets off it after putting it down or? I've never used it before and am looking to get some.