• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trying to get insurance for classic car

Hoffer

Question

Ok heres my predicament.

I have a 1977 Chevy Corvette stingray. It is considered an antique or classic care and if I drive it less than 500 miles a year I can get very low insurance -like only 150 bucks or so a year.

The issue is that the only other vehicle I have is a company provided fleet vehicle- where my company provides insurance. In order for me to get the low classic car insurance - I have been told by the 2 companies i contacted that i would need to already have 1 vehicle insured in my name already..and I do - but its my companies insurance.

Anyone out there in the insurance company that could give me advice or help me out with insurance? I am going to just have to keep it mothballed if I cant get the classic car insurance.

Thanks-

Hoffer

9 answers to this question

Why not just insure it as your regular driver? Pleasure use only, not driven to work. Shouldn't be that much. Sure beats just looking at it all year and not driving it.

Cause its the difference from about 150 for the whole year - compared to about 150 a month....

Could you go through the insurance comany your company car is insured though? I would have to assume your name is on that policy in some way or anouther. I know we have to be listed to drive our work trucks.

I have checked out a couple...but again to get the good price you already need to have another vehicle in your name insured...I only have the company vehicle.

I was going to check with the comany fleet coordinator to see if we can add on to my fleet vehicle - but I just figured the answer would be "no".So, I was just hoping to maybe find someone here that had some other ideas or maybe an insurance guru who could hook me up.

Cause its the difference from about 150 for the whole year - compared to about 150 a month....

Sure, but how long are you going to insure it? Three or four months out of the year then it's back to comp only for storage.

Buy a running junker and insure it. Would prolly be cheaper than paying 150 bucks a month! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

If your married Hoffer you could put your wifes vehicle in your name. As long as she doesnt get a bunch of tickets they will never know she is driving it not you. Duckslayers idea might work too, liability on my 98 Grand Prix is only $24 a month.

I am an insurance agent. Your problems can be solved by insuring your classic with Continential Western's collector car policy. They will only insure this classic car. They do not need another "regular" vehicle for the insurance. Go to their web site www.cwgins.com and find an agent.