• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lobster Fest

I plan on attending Lobster Fest this year on Sand Point Island on the Canadian side this summer, I will be staying at the Thunderbird Lodge and I was wondering if I need a Remote Area Border Crossing Permit to cross the border to get to the island? Anyone that has information on this Lobster Fest I would love to hear about it. This will be my first trip!

Thanks!

HI MILKDUD,

YES, YOU DO NEED A RBC TO CROSS INTO CANADIAN WATERS., UNDER THIS YOUR WIFE & CHILDREN UNDER 18 CAN BE INCLUDED., ANYONE ELSE IN YOUR BOAT MUST HAVE THEIR OWN. IF ANYONE HAS A D.U.I., THEY CAN'T GET INTO CANADA.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

For more info on the RABC go here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/rabc-pfre/menu-eng.html#c01

On a side note, I was under the impression that there were other restrictions dealing with Americans going to Sand Point Island. That used to be a HUGE place for people to recreate way back in the good old days but I though that it was a no no for us Yanks to go there. Does anyone have info on that or am I misunderstanding things?

I take my family their to go swimming. It is a good beach to hang out on. Have been their a couple of times the same day as the Lobster Fest, but split when it starts getting busy. On nice days you have to go their early to get a good spot. Some times it is way to busy, so we just find another beach. I have never seen the OPP their, that is not saying they never go their. I have seen alot of people from the US side there.

You will need your remote border crossing permit. And a crown land camping pass ($10) if you plan to camp.

Sandpoint Island is now a provincial park and camping is allowed.

If you want a lobster reserved (advisable) then Eric Rude at 807-274-5594 can help you out.

Both Canadians and Americans have a great time on Sandpoint. Here is a clip from Youtube, that should give you a good idea what it is all about.

R_D