• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bald eagle ice

Just got off of bald eagle, the ice is getting pretty soft and pulling away from shore in places. The boat launch is covered by about a foot of water. There is about 20 inches left out there. Alot of soft spots are starting to showing up. I'd say wheelers or walking from here out. Small crappies and gills aplenty!

Be safe out there.

There were vehicles out after dark last night. I was out on Saturday and there was a lot of water on the ice but it was still at least 22-24 inches thick. Yesterday the water was gone and the surface was crusty looking. On Saturday the launch was a bit wet but solid. I don't think driving out is a problem but doing it after dark only invites trouble. Dropping a wheel in a hole would be a major PIA.

If all that water's gone, I'd guess the ice is starting to honeycomb, which will weaken it fast. I'm sure there'll be a report on some fine local news channel about someone sinking a vehicle someplace in the metro before the week is out...

I just walked out about 75 yards on the north west side. The first 30 yards or so had a soft mush on them probably from the runoff from the shore. Once I got out a ways the surface was checked and some leaf debris had sunk in 1-2 inches. Otherwise it's pretty solid. I didn't check out the landing. What did surprise me was that there were no big holes and I went out near where a lot of fishing took place this winter. I expected to see some fairly large holes where the water had expanded drilled holes. I'm guessing we're still going to have ice for at least 20 more days.

A lot of eagles out this afternoon 4:30 pm. Also they were trying to burn the bog out by the island.

A lot of eages out this afternoon 4:30 pm. Also they were trying to burn the bog out by the island.

Huh? who was trying to burn the bog? why would they do that?

A part of a bog must have broke off last fall and ran aground on the west side of the island. I didn't notice it intil last Sat. when I drove around the lake. Was going to downtown at 4:30 and saw smoke rising out by it. When I went back home I didn't see any smoke.

Anyone still fishing? I was contemplating heading out there, but not sure, I'm pretty sure the ice is honeycomb about now, and well.. i'm not sure i want to chance it.

Any word?

I saw some people out yesterday. South end still pretty tight yet. Don't know about the boat landing area.

Only saw one guy out today. The ice looked solid but it had a whitish tint on top. I think you could walk out without a problem. It hasn't pulled away from shore any place that I've seen, but the wind and predicted rain could change that a bit.