• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Radio

gunflint

Question

I'm looking for recommendations on a radio for my boat. I'm just interested in an AM/FM/Weather radio. I'm not looking to hard wire a sound system. I was thinking something portable and kind of waterproof, like those shower radios but I don't think that the reception is real great on those. Any ideas?

10 answers to this question

I put a radio in my boat last spring. I just got a regular am/fm/cassette car stereo and installed it in a waterproof radio case I bought on-line.

It's not portable, it's permanent which I realize isn't quite what you're looking for. But it's a suggestion.

At Wal-Mart a while ago I saw a neat set up. It was a small rechargeable battery pack that also had am/fm/weather radio. It was a Black and Decker unit and ran for about a hundred bucks. Worth a look.

I did the same as BG. One thing I found was an AM/FM/CD stereo and you can play MP3 CD's on it. I can load up a disk with MP3's and have about 9 hours of music on it. Get a waterproof mount and you are good to go.

I wouldn't know an MP3 player if it came up and bit me. blush

I'm more interested in news, talk, and weather.

I wouldn't know an MP3 player if it came up and bit me. blush

I'm more interested in news, talk, and weather.

Man after my own heart!! grin

I need music I'll go to a bar and drink. wink

I forget the name of the particular am/fm Radio but its the the Cats Meow of Radios as far as reception goes. I know they use them in Fish house's and other remote areas and do quite well. I'm sure someone will chime in. I know they are bit spendy so that may not work for you. Also I don't believe they are a Weather radio or water resistant

I would just try a portable combo Weather Fm/Am unit and see how that works ... if it doesn't work for you take it back!

Are you thinking of a Crane? Also known as CC.

They are spendy, around $160.00 is what I paid a few years ago. To be truthful they aren't much better inside a building then any other radio. I have a satellite I use in the boat so I don't know how the Crane would perform out in a boat.

Hey Gunflint..I think we're on the same page! I had a post on the same order, I wanted recommendations on an AM-FM-NOAA, but none of that satellite 'crud'. I don't want to PAY for a subscription of something I'll only use ~3 times a year. I wish you better luck than I had. If I find what we're looking for, I'll get back at ya. Phred52

Found the radio I was talking about.

Black and Decker "Storm Center" is what it's called. It's right around a hundred bucks at Wal Mart. Rechargable batery pack, light, am/fm/weather radio. I used one a couple years ago and it seemd to work well for me. Pretty nice and compact unit also.

I just ordered a cc observer off of amazon. It sounds like what your are looking for and cost about $45 w/free shipping. I am still waiting for it to show up. Look up cc observer to find more about it.

If you don't need AM/FM and want a walkie talkie + weather I recommend: Midland GMRS radios. That way I talk to the cabin while I'm out on the lake and also keep my eye on the weather.