• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The last hoorah!!!

Mrs. Boilerguy and I have had a pretty hectic week. Work for me has been nuts, work for her has been nuts, and the teenagers are busy to boot. This morning when we got up we started talking about all the stuff we have to get done around the house, and the list is fairly large. So, having gone over our to do lists, we decided to go fishing. We figured it's gonna be pretty warm in the days to come so this may be our last chance.

She made up some sammiches, gathered up a few cold ones, while I got the gear ready, the Otter Cabin loaded in the truck, and the 4 wheeler on the trailer.

We were going to hit Bloody lake for some last chance crappies but when we got to the landing we saw the lake closed sign. Bummer. We then decided to go hit Fox lake since it's like right there. Right when we got to the landing we met another guy that had a couple young boys with him that were pumped up and ready to fish. Excuse me for being sappy, but I just love seeing youngsters that want to fish with dad.

We got all set up and started fishing. Almost immediately we started hitting crappies!!!! What a HOOT!!!! Then, we heard some commotion on the ice and I turned around just in time to see a youngster running and yelling for dad, with a crappie hanging on the end of his line!!! This is the good stuff and one of the reasons I like ice fishing so much. Not too much later a whole bunch of guys, all with youngsters in tow, showed up. There was a whole lotta fishin goin on, a lot of hot dog eating, a warm up fire, and you couldn't go 2 minutes without hearing, "Dad, I got one!!!!!" Or, "It's a Perch!!!!" Or, "Dad, I gotta go pee!!!!!!" If you guys are reading this, you need to know the Mrs and I were in the Otter laughing our hinders off most of the day, at the expense of your kids. It really brought back some memories of when our own kids were young and the good times we had together on the ice.

Most of the kids fished here and there, then ran around playing in the water on the ice and visiting with each other. One little guy was all business, however. He grabbed dad's flasher and ignored the chaos around him to stare intently at the Vexilar as he jigged. It was so cute, we had to grab a quick picture. Every now and then he would wander away, then announce he had to get back to jigging.

I could have gone all day without catching a fish, and it would have been a great day just seeing all the kids out there.

Between the Mrs and I, I'm guessing we caught 40 fish. Mostly crappies, a few small perch, and not one single bullhead. What a great day fishing. Most of the crappies were pretty small but are still fun to catch. We managed to catch enough keeper sized ones to bring home for dinner. Which, Mrs. Boilerguy is cooking as I type!!!! smile

Unfortunately for me, all good things must come to an end and I'm guessing this was my last ice hoorah for the season. Lots to do, places to go, and warm and windy temps coming up. I'm not thinking the ice will last as long as I need it to for me to be able to enjoy it again. Looking back at the season, it started out great with awesome friends and super fishing on Elephant lake. It finished great with my wife fishing with me, crappies for supper, and both our bellies hurt from laughing so hard all day. In between there were many great times with super quality people.

An added bonus is I met a couple of FM-ers that I have not met before. Could this be the seed for some open water fishing in the future???? I hope so.

It was a good way to end the season.

Great way to end the season Eric. Thanks for sharing. I'm getting close to being done with the hard water but I have some guiding to do next weekend (hopefully) and then it's off to Michigan the end of the month.

Sounds like a great way to end the season boilerguy... Watching the kids have fun and getting interested in carrying on the tradition is worth the time spent even if no fish are caught...

Im guessing that my hard water fishing is finished also with warmer weather and a ton of things to do before spring... Open water here we come...

Eric, it was nice to meet you and the wife out there, or back at shore that is. Being rather new to the area I will be counting on some open water schooling.

Let's do it. Tell ya what, we can just share a boat and leave the schooling for another day.....How's that???

Great recap of some late ice action bg!

Why was Bloody closed? Due to poor ice conditions or did something else happen?

I think the Sheriff closed most of the lakes in the county to any vehicle traffic, just to be on the safe side. I'm thinking it was a wise move. Foot traffic is still allowed.

Well, sounds like you had a great last journey Boiler, I myself will likely be done here but am leaving Thursday for my annual voyage to late ice Lake of the Woods!!!! So give me till Monday for my final ice recap of the year!

Hey Boiler.....very nice things said about my kids.....my wife was really happy to read such nice things. My little guy is just turned 7, and usually outfishes me. Next year he wants his own vexilar, and of course a jason mitchell perch rod. It was nice to meet you, probably see you on the water soon.