• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WMA for training

Snag

Can you run your dog on a WMA before April 16 without a leash or checkcord? I want to get our Griffon on more wild birds.

Brian

Look in the MN DNR hunting regulation booklet. I am sure there is a statement regarding this. I just don't recall the dates when you cannot do this. You may also be able to get the answer online by going to their web site.

I hope this helps.....

Here is what the regs say

Dogs: Dogs are permitted on WMAs only when accompanied by

or under the control of the owner. From April 16 through July 14,

dogs must be on a leash. A person training a dog on a WMA may

not use live ammunition or blank cartridges, including the use of

blanks in dummy launchers or similar devices.

You can obtain a free permit to train on the MN public hunting ground with pigeons and I think chuckers but WMAs are off limmits to MN DNR and you can't get one for them, Private land can be used with the permit all year with Pheasants as long as they are flaged with ribbon. If you are not to far from the club I am in they welcome new members and we all help eachother out all year.

Snag,

Get hooked up with the MN Chapter of NAVHDA they have plenty of training days & weekends in Hugo,Glencoe,Milaca, & Some weekends up on the Iron Range in Virginia. Only cost is a small fee for training passes and chapter membership. Plus you can get a training pass once a member to train up at the Fourbrooks WMA off of 169 in Milaca.

We have a pass for the WMA through NAVHDA. From talking to a DNR officer at the show this weekend, you can walk your dog on public land until April 16 as long as you have it under control and it isn't chasing deer. After that, you need to fill out the form to train on public land. He didn't know if you could train without a checkcord with the permit.

I'm just looking at getting her on more wild birds. She seems to do much better on wild birds compared to planted pigeons.

SportFishin'

I like the license plate. I had already named myself 2 DA GILLS before I got my Griffon.

2 DA GILLS,

Yeah my wife thought that would be a cool plate for her Yukon. They are only 25 bucks out here in MT for personal plates. We have a Griff & an English Pointer so I'm always walkin' up 2 DA PT.

You'll like my Jeep plates I had to have them!

GRIFFN.jpg