• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ahh, yeah family come first. I have a three month old, so my time is pretty limited as well. I'm just excited for the day when I get to take him out ice fishing!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• FLnick87

• Fuzzbient

• rellis

Better stay away from square for a while. Kid just left there. 1 and a half inches ice. Onafly, Hard for me to get excited about fishing these local lakes. I will wait till next weekend when I can drive out. TOO much gear to drag by hand for fish not worth keeping.

He just called from Big Marine. Set up there. 4 and a half to 5 inches. Has not taped it yet. Says wheelers buzzing around about 25 yards from shore.

It's tougher in the Metro, that's for sure. But, the fish are there. You just have to find them. When you do, don't say a word to anyone. Eventually, the spot will be figured out by others and the big fish will move on (either by choice or in a bucket). Then, you're back at square one. At least it keeps things interesting wink

My son and I, and the dog, were out on Flake this afternoon/evening. I was about 950 ft Southeast of the 2nd launch in a 11 FOW pocket. There was a Perm about 50 ft North of me and a guy in a Frabill flip-over 500 ft West of me. Ice was 6 inches thick. Guy told me few hundred feet east the ice is only 3 inches.

Around 4pm, set two tip-ups w. shiners and two lines w/ crappie minows. Nothing on the minows, changed to waxies. With in minutes was getting some bites, but very small. Crappies were not that big. By 5pm the bites stopped. From 5pm - 7pm, I could see the school come in on the flasher around 9-10FOW and sometimes would get a nibble, but was not always tending the line as we just hung out. Bites were very light, so more dinks.

Guy to the North of me caught a small pike and small crappie. Fishing was't hot, but still good to get out on the lake!

So far this year for me this year out there all of our walleyes have been caught in anywhere from 25 to 30 fow and all of the crappies have been suspended at about 15 feet. They are biting a little bit finicky though.

I was out on Lake One on 12/9 in 14', had 9 inches of ice, fishing was slow. Was out this morning just to check on the snow, looks like anyone going out now is gonna need a snowmobile or walk, and it won't be an easy walk, lots of deep drifts.

Looks like some thick snow now on the lakes driving by both Clear and FLake. Saw someone out in 1st lake. Maybe I'll get a chance tomorrow afternoon to see how Flake is.

Anyone go out?

I was out on first tonight. Brutal walk out pulling the portable through knee deep drifts. I managed a few eyes though. The ice is sagging a bit leaving some slush holes wherever there was a crack or hole in the ice. Thankfully someone was nice enough to give me a ride back in on the back of there sled. What a relief when they offered that! Sure saved my legs a lot of pain!

Went out a little while last night and found the snow to be fairly slushy underneath so it's packing down. Had 11 inches of ice to drill through but I'm sure it's less in the late freeze spots.

Hey Fuzzbient, I was wondering how high was the snow. I plan on doing some fishing up there this weekend and I don't have a sled nor atv, so I'm gonna have to pull the porty by hand.

It's doable on foot. I walked out last night pulling a sled full of gear and slung the portable over my shoulder. There are plenty of ATV tracks and snowmobile tracks to follow on foot. The snow depth varies with the drifting but nothing you can't handle on foot pulling a sled if you're in good cardio condition. The slush isn't too deep but have some waterproof boots on.

Was out today and saw 8" of good ice with 2" of white junk ice on top. People were parking just out from the landing at willow point and one yahoo drove his truck out!

Here's what the DNR recommends. Keep in mind that it is not consistent. Some of the best fishing spots freeze last and always have inches less of ice this time of year.

full-21857-4413-ice_thickness.jpg

Here's what the DNR recommends. Keep in mind that it is not consistent. Some of the best fishing spots freeze last and always have inches less of ice this time of year.

full-21857-4413-ice_thickness.jpg

Does this means that trucks such as 2008 Toyota Tundras are too big/heavey to be driven out on lakes?

Was out today and saw 8" of good ice with 2" of white junk ice on top. People were parking just out from the landing at willow point and one yahoo drove his truck out!

Driving out in December! Insane.

theres some crazies out there lol id give it some more time untill i feel comfortable drivin out there, so does anybody know how the fish are biting out there?

Did see a few houses on the west side of Lake 2 access this afternoon. Any reports from that side of the point?

Just got back from third lake fished 11-12 fow, caught 3 little crappies. 8-9 inches of good ice with about 2 inches of [PoorWordUsage] ice and snow on top. going back out in the morning!

What a mess the ice is. Was out today on #3 mostly small perch and sunnies. Everything that isn't slush is rougher than heck. You better be in good shape if walking not for the feint of heart. Saw a few places that looked like wheelers had been stuck. Shook the heck out of my equipment in the sled. I did notice a big housing development over toward the area between lake 2 and 3 even saw small trucks out there. Only saw 3 houses by the deep hole on lake 2. Anyone doing anything out there?

I was between 2nd and 3rd yesterday were the colony is now. in blue portable, the only shack around i might add... unpleasnt drag but saw a good mix of fish on the cam! caught a few of them. probably should of kept my voice down on the cell telling the guy that didnt make it. woops.

note to self "keep voice down in portable"

I've been out on lake one a couple times in the last few days. Where I was fishing there was 12" of clear ice with 3" of frozen slush on top of that. Been doing ok on pike in about 10'. Other than that I've only been getting a few small crappies/sunnies and lots of perch. Have seen a few small walleyes on the camera, but they seem to have lockjaw.

Fished the 15-18' depths last night and had a few runs but didn't pull any fish other then a decent perch 9" out on Forest. Still alot of slush right under the 3" crust but was able to move around with the 4 wheeler pulling the shack. This rain and forecasted cold should put things into high gear once the ice firms back up. Looked pretty slushy on the lake as I drove by this afternoon. I have heard some decent reports from the guys that have been getting out but it is mainly smaller eyes in the 14" range in the 12-20' range.

Tunrevir~

I'm thinking of going out on Flake tomorrow morning, ~6am-10am. I know 2nd Lake on the deep water is where the Perm Colony is normally set - are there a bunch there?

I have not driven by in a while other than downtown. Maybe a stroll around the lake today i'll have to take. Anyone else going out tomorrow morning?

I didn't make it out today but have been between Lake 2 and 3 twice in the last week with the same results. A few pike and lots of small fish being marked. The activity on my Vex is always fun but the father in laws camera showed what I was chasing. Nothing special yet.