• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I had one 38" in the boat and a somewhat bigger one jump right over the top water lure and then disappear both were next to big clumps of weeds 5'-10' water they seemed pretty active Wednesday afternoon.

Bob

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• FLnick87

• Fuzzbient

• rellis

Hit Flake this morning for a few hours. Bass were active as well as the pike in 6-8' and 12-15'depths. Pulled a 43" muskie out of 8' depths. 3 hours on the water 13 bass, 8 pike and a ski. Lake was getting busy with Jetskis and pleasure boaters when I came off the water at 2 pm.

Tunrevir~

was on Flake this afternoon and caughtand released a dozen bass, 9 npike and a 38" ski. This time I brought a net for the big guy and it went much easier. I ran into a couple of guys fishing bass nearby and one of them fishes parteners with Wayne Ek right here on FM, how cool is that! Biggest bass was 16.5", biggest pike was 26.5". Had one little pike that was barely over 13" take a 1/2 oz rattle rap! Cute little guy!

Tunrevir~

Tried Forest this a.m.. Beat the water to a froth from 5:30 till 10 am. Nothing. Had one lazy follow . Couple small pike knocked the lure sideways but nothing on the hooks. All in lake 3. Had to be at least a dozen if not more other boats in 3rd after muskies.

Fished Flake yesterday from 12-2 with a group of kids and women from work. Everyone caught a few fish. One of the smallest members of our party was fishing with a small husky jerk and taking, sunfish, rockbass and crappies as well as an occassional bass. Northerns and bass were active along the shallow weedlines in 8'. No muskies today but alot of folks tossing for them yesterday a.m. Our biggest fish was a 6# pike. Man when the sun finally broke out it got downright hot without any wind out there!

Tunrevir~

• 2 weeks later...

The pike have been active. Haven't been moving a ton of muskies lately. The water looks like chocolate milk with weeds floating everywhere. How about a no wake rule within 150 feet of shore? I can't understand why anyone would want to ski in less than 3 feet of water, but I see it out there all the time.

I typically will give the lake a week to settle down after the commotion on the 4th. The water starts to clear, the weed mats tend to hit the shore and the fishing picks up. There are muskies on both the deeper weed edges and the humps as well as the shallow weedlines. Sometimes bigger isn't better when it comes to moving skis and you can have some fun with the bass and pike while waiting for the bigger fish to hit. This time of year getting out along the deeper edges and speedtrolling bucktails and larger cranks can produce some nicer fish not exactily hand to hand combat like casting for them but it is effective and can produce fish. Cruising deeper edges at 3-4 mph is at times a great way to hookup. I'll be out this week and working the lake and will report back after I get off the water. One other thing is look at your lakemaps or gps and find those out of the way edges that don't get repeatedly pounded and you may be rewarded with your map savvy due to working relatively unpressured fish. Tightlines and good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

How's the bass bite? More importantly, how crazy is it on the weekends with boat traffic?

I hit the lake this evening and found plenty of active bass and pike. The smaller bass are active along the shallow weedlines in 6-8' but the bigger bass were deeper and going after both cranks and plastic worms along the deeper weed edges. There are active fish around the docks but alot of little guys for the most part. Pike were active both shallow and deep. No muskie sightings this time out. Lake stays relatively quiet untill about noon and then it starts to get busy but you can find places tucked away to fish and not get bothered to much.

Tunrevir~

adult son & I flying to Mn from CA in Aug. Know it's probably bad fishing time especially since we don't get up early enough, but he wants to fish & hopefully catch something! Will fly to Mpls airport & don't want to go way north. Is there a lake without houses all around it where he can fish from shore, or a place to rent a boat if having to out on the lake? Is Forest Lake good for fishing? Or is it better in Wisconsin, maybe by Siren? Hopefully someone will have advice for us newbies. Bob Sr. [email protected]

Welcome Bob Sr... I would suggest the St.Croix.. plenty of shore fishing there! The lakes will have a lot of houses unless you go north, and even then, as said, your best bet if the river.. Best of luck!

Nice looking fish there zzz! Planning on heading out today if I can get my yardwork done.

Tunrevir~

Hit Flake for a few hours last night and it was pretty darn slow a couple pike a couple bass and one teeenie little walleye(4 inches!) Water was really turbid and the fishing was slow. Things should pick up as the water clears.

Tunrevir~

did anybody see the pontoon that got flipped over in the storm i feel kinda bad for the owner because it was in nice shape

OUch, thats no good.. I didnt see that, but was at Abramsons(tree and plant place near the St.Croix.) and they had EVERY pot in the place tipped over.. EVERY pot.. took them over 29 man hours to tip them all back up...

Went out on the lake and had one muskie that I missed at the side of the boat. A decent fish in the 45" range. Caught a few bass and pike. The water is still murky after the storms but is beginning to clear a bit. Most of my fish came out of the 10-12' range.

Tunrevir~

Went out today on the kayak and spotted a 38-40 inch musky floating belly up on 2nd lake.

WS