• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cutler

nofishfisherman

My point exactly, Have we won the superbowl let alone the conference championship with this strategy? Its gonna take a combination of both draft and yep, spending some money on proven players. Buy us a quarterback Mr. Wilf

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• zamboni

• Sandmannd

• Born2Fish

By the way, a little saying for you-

Trade away draft picks to win NOW, use your picks to win for years to come.

I will stand by that.

I understand where you are coming from, but, this team is built to win now. What happens in a couple years when big Pat Williams can't play anymore. That is really going to hurt our defense. Right now with him still playing at a very high level our overall defense isn't that bad and the run defense is one of the best in the league. I say go out and do whatever you have to do to win now. We're close and I think simply hoping that the draft will fill our holes within the next couple of years isn't trying hard enough. I would rather trade one first for cutler if that would get it done rather than trading Chester and a 2nd because I feel the first is lesser value. Would I trade several firsts for one player, no. But if I could get a young probowl quarterback for one first round pick and a proven wide reciever with another first round pick I'm all for it.

I bleed Purple with the best of them. If Cutler is available, and the Vikings are serious about winning the Super Bowl, sign Cutler if it doesn't cost the franchise!!!!!

Peter King of SI has this take on Boldin:

• The Eagles and Giants, two receiver-needy teams, are in position to deal for Anquan Boldin, who I continue to say will not be a Cardinal by July. Philly has 21, 28 and 53, the Giants 29, 45 and 60. I find it hard to believe the Eagles won't trade for Boldin. Very hard. He's a perfect fit, and they've got the cap room to sign him.

Originally Posted By: zamboni
By the way, a little saying for you-

Trade away draft picks to win NOW, use your picks to win for years to come.

I will stand by that.

I understand where you are coming from, but, this team is built to win now. What happens in a couple years when big Pat Williams can't play anymore. That is really going to hurt our defense. Right now with him still playing at a very high level our overall defense isn't that bad and the run defense is one of the best in the league. I say go out and do whatever you have to do to win now. We're close and I think simply hoping that the draft will fill our holes within the next couple of years isn't trying hard enough. I would rather trade one first for cutler if that would get it done rather than trading Chester and a 2nd because I feel the first is lesser value. Would I trade several firsts for one player, no. But if I could get a young probowl quarterback for one first round pick and a proven wide reciever with another first round pick I'm all for it.

If you draft Pats replacement and draft others to replace our other guys that are getting older we'll be set up to win now and in the future.

No way Cutler gets traded for a single first round pick.

I'm all for getting Cutler but you keep trading picks and it will come back to bite you when it comes to long term sucess. It's like everything else. Only in moderation.

I'm on the bus with Zamboni. I don't really like trading picks.

I'm not in favor of trading picks in general either, but if its for a pro bowl QB who has only been in the league for 3 years i think its a different story.

Quote:

Jay Cutler is now considered doubtful to attend Monday's team meeting after his Saturday bull session with coach Josh McDaniels went sour.

The Denver Post cites a source close to Cutler as saying no ultimatums were given during Saturday's meeting, but "no reconciliation was reached" either. CBS 4 in Denver seconds the report and says that the sides remain at odds. The feud shows no signs of waning, especially if Cutler does not show up Monday.

Yep, and like I said before, if they don't move him, don't count on him showing up for camp this summer.

I'd certainly give up this and next years #1 picks plus Chester Taylor for Cutler... thats a no-brainer for me the time is NOW!.

I do understand the business side of it and protecting your future long term so 2 #1's is tough to give up.

I do know the Vikings would give up Taylor and one #1 in a heart-beat for Cutler!

Praying for Cutler at any cost GO VIKES!

This would be a pipe dream, and I dont know why I am even following this. But I need something to keep my hopes up.

Quote:

Owner Pat Bowlen acknowledged Sunday that he's disappointed" in Jay Cutler and says the Broncos "might lose our star quarterback."

"I'm disappointed in the whole picture," Bowlen said, also confirming that he steadfastly supports coach Josh McDaniels' handling of the situation. Sources tell the Denver Post that Cutler won't show for offseason conditioning, and the paper suggests that he may even be asking for a new contract as a sign of "commitment." The Broncos have taken a hard-line approach this far, so it seems unlikely that Cutler would get that wish. Cutler will forfeit a $100,000 workout bonus by failing to show on Monday.

Source: Denver Post

By any chance did you orchestrate the Herschel Walker trade?? Just curious, cuz you're talking about dealing like 30 first round picks. The very most I would give for Cutler would be Chester and a 2nd rounder.

One first Rounder for Boldin and one first rounder for Cutler is by no means close to the Walker mess. (according to Wikapedia) grin

Minnesota Vikings Received:

RB Herschel Walker

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)

San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)

Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys Received:

LB Jesse Solomon

LB David Howard

CB Issiac Holt

RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)

DE Alex Stewart

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) They traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft (Emmitt Smith)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)

Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11) (Pat Harlow)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Darryll Lewis)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)

Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

These are 2 very proven (and still young) NFL talents that have yet to reach their prime. I would take that over a shot in the dark with a couple of draft picks. These situations are a lot like the Allen trade from last year. A pick for a young talent not happy with where he is. I think the Allen trade worked out great. I don't think we will get either Cutler or Boldin, but we should. Personally I would take Boldin over Cutler.

Hey Zamboni at least we can agree on best movies.

I have said there are differences between the two scenarios (page up), but after giving last years first round pick for Allen, you guys want to also trade away the next TWO years. That is (if my math is correct) 3 years worth of picks. If they do indeed do this, 2 years from now, someone else will come along, and then you will all want to trade away more #1 picks. All the while instead of using #1 picks to draft guys that are 21-22 years old, we have traded away all of our picks on 28-32 year olds. Make sense? No, it doesn't. Trading away several years #1 picks for several players is, in hindsight (like I said before, scroll up) ABOUT as bad as the Walker trade.

Another thing, this is the NFL, first round picks are more often successful than they are flops. MLB, the draft is always a toss of the dice, more often than not a first round pick spends 10 years in the minors and never even makes it up to the show. NHL, NBA and NFL are different stories. I am all for giving up a #1 for Cutler, but not Boldin. He seems to be a big attitude case, I.E. playoffs, amongst other things. A good QB yes, it is worth it, but WRs- we can get one just as good if not better than Boldin with a first round pick and get one about 5-7 years younger.

I'm ready to sell the farm for Cutler. We get him and we don't really need Boldin.

Still hate trading away picks!

Its still unfolding.

Quote:
Jay Cutler confirmed that he will not report to offseason training on Monday and has formally requested a trade from the Broncos.

After Saturday's meeting, Cutler feels Josh McDaniels, "Made it clear he wants his own guy (at QB)," and didn't apologize for going after Matt Cassel. "How can I trust him now?" Cutler asked. Cutler said he'll attend mandatory offseason work if he stays on the roster, but believes that "Really, it's best for me to move on." McDaniels disagrees with Cutler's interpretations, and the Broncos remain outwardly steadfast that Cutler will not be traded.

Source: ESPN.com

Quote:
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels emphatically denies Jay Cutler's comments that the coach "made it clear" he could still entertain trading Cutler and that he wants his own guy at quarterback.

"Oh boy," McDaniels said. "No, no, no. Nothing like that was conveyed." The coach's and the player's versions of their Saturday meeting continue to be bizarrely at odds. Asked if he thinks he'll be forced to trade Cutler, McDaniels responded: "No. He's got three years left on his contract. We're not at the point where we're going to do it now ... [but] it's probably something we're going to have to talk about."

Source: SI.com

This would take us out of the running as well cry , hopefully they would take Sage, Chester, and a 1st. But highly unlikely. That and the Vikes have said they werent intersted in him. crazy

Quote:
The Lions are expected to "continue to talk to the Broncos" about potentially acquiring Jay Cutler in a trade.

The Broncos may be softening their stance a bit, but the Lions have no quarterback solution to offer in return. Coach Josh McDaniels has stated that the team is not interested in trading Cutler for draft picks, which would seem to make the Lions a poor fit.

I have heard that the Browns may be the front runners with the bargaining tool of Quinn. If we could somehow get in there for a 3 way trade that would be awesome. Something is going to happen soon, lets hope were a part of it.

1ST round picks are more successful then they are flops? thats a stretch of the imagination...there's probably around a handful of players out of the 1st round every year that end up being anything.....go back to every years draft and tell me there's more success then flops....some of the best players in the league come out of the 1st round but they are rare...you need the right player in the right system.

i'd love to see the day we draft a wr as good if not better then boldin...it will be a long wait.

i don't know who wants to trade 1st round picks every year for players 28-32....i don't see anything wrong getting players that are top at their position and 25-26 yrs old for 1st round picks though....especially where the vikes are right now.

i'd love to see the day we draft a wr as good if not better then boldin...it will be a long wait.

Randy Moss was 5 times the reciever than Boldin. Flops in the first round, and I mean really huge failures are more hard to come by than a successful pick.

Not to toot my own horn, just this morning on PA's show he had an expert from an NFL site and he basically said the same thing I am- trading away a number of years first round picks is NOT a smart thing to do, it leads to no developement of young players and eventually you have no longevity on your team. Yes, trade away a pick for Cutler, but Boldin- I will pass.

The way things are playing out, the Broncos could just send him to Detroit just to spite him. Cleveland is not getting any better either- they got rid of Winslow and Edwards forgot how to catch the ball.

The vikings current team has a good number of aging players with lots of talent, get the QB while we still have a good squad.

lol randy is probably the best wr ever to play the game...his skills are unmatched...even though boldin is one of the best wr's in the game right now...he's like T.O. without the drama...it will be a very long time before you see a boldin type player that the vikings draft...if ever.

but boldin is already getting to that age where u wouldn't want to give a 1st round pick for...boldin wasn't even a 1st round pick to begin with...he was a late 2nd rounder.

cutler is needed way more then boldin on this team...his age and skills are perfect for this team....u basically do what it takes to get a guy of his age and caliber for his position....25 yr old pro bowl qb come on this opportunity comes along like every 50 yrs lol.

they want more then picks for him....the lions don't have squat to give the broncos what do they have?

depending what deals are on the table and what they want atleast we could be willing to deal sage, taylor, and picks....i'd give them sage, taylor and a 1st right now and never look back.

another thing is cutler can say he don't want to play for any team...sure the lions might want him but will he play for the lions? i doubt it who would....who would want to play for cleveland? which qb wouldn't want to come to the vikes and play with one of the best D's and RB's in the game?