• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cutler

nofishfisherman

And now onto the new speculation.

TJ is gone but Cutler may be available. What do you think about that possibility?

Personally I like it more then the possible TJ signing. We need a QB far more then another WR.

But despite that fact that I would like to see him here I don't think there is much of a chance of it happening. I don't think we have the parts needed to put a trade together, our #1 wouldn't be enough for Denver to draft a top QB in the draft and I doubt they would want either Sage or T-Jack.

If Detroit gets involved as well like is rumored then we woudl really have a hard time as I think they might be willing to give up the #1 pick.

Has any other team ever traded for two Qb's within 2 weeks?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• zamboni

• Sandmannd

• Born2Fish

I think that if we offered them a 1st or 2nd rounder chester taylor(which they need a good RB) and Sage or TJack which I think would do half decent in denver they might let him use his legs. Remember 2 seasons ago he ran all over them must have been the air up there!

I think we shouldn't get our hopes up. Ask everyone that though TJ coming here was a lock, I didn't think it was a lock, btw- but I was very hopeful

Yeah I doubt he'd come now that cassel is with KC. So I think your kidney's are safe.

If cutler comes to MN i will sell both my kidneys

I know a guy that might be interested grin

But a crazy 3 way deal could go down. So get on that donor list asap.

Prolly are defective with stones anyway, lol thats why he want to rid him self of kidneys

Report from ESPN:

Jeff Hostetler. Steve Bono. Tommy Maddox. From a historical perspective, at least, those three names serve as the ceiling for Minnesota's quarterback position if newcomer Sage Rosenfels wins the starting job

NFL history offers a short list of success stories for quarterbacks who followed the same path as Rosenfels during the early part of their careers. ESPN Research's Keith Hawkins worked with the Elias Sports Bureau to develop the chart to your right, which tracks the development of quarterbacks who started fewer than 10 games before turning 30. (Rosenfels, who turns 31 on Friday, has started 12 NFL games, including five last season for Houston.)

Only Hostetler became a long-term starter after turning 30. Bono and Maddox each started the equivalent of two full seasons.

Does that mean Rosenfels would fail as a full-time starter for the Vikings? Of course not. But here's what we can say: As currently configured, the Vikings must hope for either a historical aberration (Rosenfels) or significant improvement from a previously shaky youngster (Tarvaris Jackson) to upgrade their long-standing deficiency at the game's most important position.

Which is why the Vikings would be foolish -- even after trading a fourth-round pick last week for Rosenfels -- to ignore the potential availability of Denver's 26-year-old starter, Jay Cutler.

I wrote Monday that Cutler makes sense for three NFC North teams -- Minnesota, Chicago and Detroit -- and I still believe that. But of those three, the Vikings might be the most serious suitor.

Already, there are some preliminary signs that the Vikings are investigating the situation. The Denver Post reported that Minnesota was included in talks on a three-way trade that fell through last weekend, and the Star Tribune reported Tuesday that the Vikings were having "ongoing" discussions Monday about Cutler.

In NFL terms, there is a vast gap between due diligence and serious trade discussions. And there is no indication that Denver is willing to part with Cutler after losing out to Kansas City on acquiring Matt Cassel. But it's time for the Vikings to end their middling approach to the quarterback position and start applying the aggressive, big-thinking philosophy that has netted them proven -- and, in some cases, dominant -- players at almost every other position

That is an irreconcilable dichotomy for a team with annual designs on a division title and beyond. Why devote so many resources to proven players at other positions while taking a chance at the most important one?

At the scouting combine last month, Spielman noted there are only a "handful" of NFL quarterbacks who truly scare defenses. That dearth of talent and skill causes some teams to reach for quarterbacks beyond their true value.

Cutler, however, has a chance to be one of the NFL's elite quarterbacks after earning a Pro Bowl berth in 2008. At the very least, he has proved far more competent than Jackson during their first three seasons.

Childress seemed adamant last month that Jackson and a veteran, who turned out to be Rosenfels, would compete for the starting job in training camp. He left open the faint possibility of a future big-name acquisition but said, "Right now I would be honest with you and tell you I wouldn't know who that person would be."

At the time, few people knew that Broncos coach Josh McDaniels would pursue Cassel to replace Cutler. Childress seemed to be covering for that possibility when he said, "I wouldn't open or close the door on anything."

Circumstances, as they say, have changed. "Faint" has elevated to "bright." The situation is similar to the one the Vikings encountered last year, when they pursued several free-agent defensive ends to improve their pass rush before Kansas City made 2008 sack leader Jared Allen available. The Vikings surrendered three draft choices and signed Allen to a $74 million contract, a move that helped improve their pass rush from the bottom of the NFL's rankings to No. 18 overall.

Cutler could be this season's Jared Allen, only more impactful because of the position he plays. Not only was he the NFL's third-most productive passer last season, but he has spent three years in a West Coast scheme that has the same roots as the Vikings' offense. He could be the missing piece of a puzzle that includes the league's top running back (Adrian Peterson), a proven deep threat (Bernard Berrian) and a rapidly improving tight end (Visanthe Shiancoe).

The Rosenfels trade was consummated before the Cutler imbroglio began. The Vikings would be wise to overlook the timing and think big once again.

I say keep Sage, pick up Cutler and cut T-Jack and Booty. We would be set then. I agree with the earlier post that this would be a much better trade than aquiring TJ. And you know that Cutler isn't going to be a one year wonder like Cassel still hasn't proven yet.

Stay tuned....

I say keep Sage, pick up Cutler and cut T-Jack and Booty. We would be set then. I agree with the earlier post that this would be a much better trade than aquiring TJ. And you know that Cutler isn't going to be a one year wonder like Cassel still hasn't proven yet.

Stay tuned....

I would keep Sage, and Booty, trade for Cutler and trade TJack. Cutler would be the starter and the other 2 compete for the #2 spot.

I hope we get cutler. The guy is a stud, and will help out the vikings alot where they can take pressure off of AP, and air the ball out.

I still don' think we have seen the best of Cutler. And to be honest I don't think we have seen the best out of Berrian, AP or Sydney Rice. Given a good qb I think these guys would also be able to step up their game.

I don't care which QB we would give up, I wonder what else we would have to give? First rounder for sure, what else though?

Cutler would be great to see. Give up a first if you have to for him.

It would take 2 1st rounders plus Chester Taylor, if at all.

It's a ridiculous notion to think that the Vikes have anything that would possibly interest the Broncos into trading Cutler. They would NEED A STARTING Q-BACK for starters and that's where the conversation would end. Cutler is what every team in this league is dying to find: A franchise q-back.

Sounds like Denver and Cutler are going to make up. To bad for the Vikes, but after the Cassel deal fell thru was kind of hard to believe that they would want to trade the franchise QB away when there isn't much left on the market for FA's.

its all hear say at this point..cutler haerd a rooomer...and we all are pumped... sage is gonna be our answer to gus and tj... i predict 15 tds and 19 int...just my thoughts

1st rounder and Chester Taylor. The broncos have been trying to get a soild RB and have failed so far this offseason.

They wouldn never go for that. Our 1st isnt good enough for them to get a replacement QB, and Chester Taylor will more then likely be a free agent next year anyway. Maybe a top 10 1st rounder and C. Taylor, maybe!

I would love for this to happen, but it wont. I had my hopes up for TJ and now I am not going to get excited about this.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Broncos Will Not Trade Cutler

by Adam Schefter

Denver Broncos HC Josh McDaniels reiterated that the team will not trade QB Jay Cutler. "Let me be as clear as I can about this," McDaniels said when reached at his office Tuesday afternoon. "We are not trading Jay Cutler - period."

why would you want to have someone playing for you that hates the team and they way the run it in the front office!

Cutler could easily force his way out of Denver. Happens all the time in the nfl.

McDaniels can say whatever he wants. At this point he's more or less kissing Cutlers bare bottom. They screwed up and they know it. Now they have to make nice. If Cutler accepts this then he'll stay. If not, Cutler will skip camp camp and everything else and demand a trade.

Denver kind of blew it here. Now that everyone knows they were listening to trade offers it's going to drive the price down slightly. If you're willing to get rid of something and everyone knows it they will always try to get the best price. They probably won't get two firsts if he holds out and demands a trade. UNLESS someone gets desperate. I don't think the Vikes have to picks or players to pull off this deal but stranger things have happened.

the only way we could get cutler is we got cassel first...if we could somehow get cassel from the chiefs we could get cutler obviously lol.