• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Rebels75

New Regulations

Rebels75

I heard a news broadcast that there were going to be new regs on Mille Lacs this year but I wasn't able to watch the whole show. Can anyone update me on what the news regs will be please!!

chris63

There is a new safe harvest quota implemented,however the Walleye limits have yet to be announced.They are saying (DNR)that the new limits will be announced after ice out.c63

Rebels75

Thanks for the info. If gas prices stay where they are, a few more trips to the big pond won't hurt so much.

schu

I was pretty sure that I read in outdoor news that they were going to raise the limit to six. If not for sure they're at least talking about it.

I wish that they would keep some of these regs consistent from year to year. I really think it worked when it used to be six fish with one over 20" and it was that way for years. I think it could be four fish with one over 20". The lake has a lot of fish in the 20-26" range right now and let's face it- most walleyes just do not get bigger than 28" (how many do we see caught relative to the 25s 26s and 27s). With one over 20" you would concentrate the harvest on the smaller fish but still take a few of the older fish. Its a fact that as fish get older they don't reproduce as well as younger fish. Why not harvest some of these???? I know the DNR works hard at trying to figure out the proper balance and ecology for the lake but what's with the boom or bust years recently. I'm not a fisheries biologist but I would like to think that a happy medium does exist.

Does anybody else have any thoughts- I'd like to hear them

wolfman-k

I think the regulations will stay just where they are, just so that the DNR can say thay are trying to be consistant. I agree that there appears to be an imbalance of larger fish, and it worries me if/when the overabundance of small perch returns to a more usual level, all those large walleyes, along with the muskies & pike, are going to be foraging on the young of the year walleyes and other species. They can raise the overall poundage that we as fishermen & women can 'take', but if there aren't a whole lot of fish that fit into the accepted (4 walleye up to 18" and or 1 over 28"),keeper slot, what's the difference? I wish I knew the answer, we'll just have to wait and see.

Insp Gadget

I believe the reason we don't see many over 28 is too many people keep over 28 for eating, not just as a trophy for the wall. 20 years ago the lake didn't have nearly as many fish in it and you didn't catch many 20 - 27's but every week they had a list in the paper of 29 - 30 - 31's that were caught. not a big list, but the genetics are there.

With the big protected slot and a couple of year classes that were nothing due to no bait fish, most of the big ones were the only thing people could keep. This lake gets a lot of pressure!

I'm in favor of the big slot and have a blast catching a bunch of 23 - 27's, and enjoy the couple of eaters I do get. With a couple of nice year classes coming, who knows, I may even get a limit now and then.

HunterWinfield

We've heard they are trying to stay consistent. Looks like the quota will be raised and limit will still be 4, 18-28 protected.

There is a meeting on 2/18 with the fisheries...we'll plan to attend.