• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Sandmannd

2009 opener

Sandmannd

Can't find in the regs if they have a date or not yet. Anyone know?

River Dan

May 2nd

Sandmannd

Thanks Dan, guess I coulda just called ya huh?

B K'S DAD

May 9

River Dan

The 9th is mn opener, St Croix is the 2nd smile

croixflats

Yep May 2 being a boarder water that water becomes federal waters and seasons are recognised by the state that has the earlier opener from my understanding.

JBMasterAngler

I'm gonna wait until the 4th.

LoonASea

Then why does the St Louis River open on the Mn opener??? Its a border water just like the St Croix

LAS

croixeyes

Im sure there is something in the regs that say why.The Miss is a border water to but is open year round down in Red Wing and parts of pool three are closed .Read the regs,I hope the answers are there for you to review.

WalleyeChaser

It seems we go through this every year. It will always be the first saturday in May as that is when the Wisconsin opener is. We get a jump on you guys so they at least let you fish the river at the same time. And please don't start the can i fish on the other states side of the river [PoorWordUsage] either. J/K

I guess i'm a little irretable as i'm low on sleep due to my new little fishin' partner keeping me awake at night.

croixflats

Congrats on the newborn . So how many days have had the baby now.

WalleyeChaser

Thanks! He was born sunday night so he is almost a week old now. Its going fast already the next thing you know i'll be buying a fishing pole. I'm really excited!

AceintheHole

May 2 or the 9 I'll be chasing cats on the MN.

croixflats

Thanks! He was born sunday night so he is almost a week old now. Its going fast already the next thing you know i'll be buying a fishing pole. I'm really excited!
That is great.

I hear introducing whale songs at an early age make great fisherman. grin

Sandmannd

Congrats on the new fishing buddy river-newbie. It does go fast.

Turk

I like those April 28th openers, Have got some real nice ones then. TG

SteveD

I primarily chase cats so I have a continuous St Croix season. I've been on the water every year right after ice out chasing catfish. The conditions are usually not the best for a lot of fish but it sure feels good to get on the water. I'm going to break the code on those early season cats this year - I know they are there it is just a matter of figuring out how to trigger them.

For those of you waiting and waiting for the regular season opener you may be missing some good action for white bass. As soon as that warm sun starts heating the water you can usually find a good silver bite. It is a great way to shake out the boat and all your gear that has been put away for the winter.

Normal St Croix ice out is about the second week of April or so. I've put in at Beanies some years around the 1st of April and fished the Hudson Narrows and the Swing Bridge. Some years you cannot wait any longer to get on the St Croix.

Boy, this year winter sure seems like forever.

DonBo

Then why does the St Louis River open on the Mn opener??? Its a border water just like the St Croix

LAS

The St. Louis has many special regulations. I believe it is considered "Trophy Water" or some such term.

JBMasterAngler

I was thinking about hitting the croix in april for some silver bass action. I normally go the vermillion with great success, but the more silver bass waters the better! smile How is the stillwater area?

SteveD

The white bass action can be pretty good around Stillwater and upstream depending on the weather. That early spring fishing can be tough sometimes especially if we have high water. What is nice about silvers is that you can still find them even when the water is high.

croixeyes

Congrates rivernewbie and yes u are wrong.Its the first saturday closest to the first of May,which is why it falls in April every now and again Turks right...Man I dont like the sound of that.Thats for the Croix though,not the Sconnie opener.

JBMasterAngler

I've actually had my best luck during high water (in the spring)...they really flock to the flooded trees then. Pretty fun fishing in that stuff too.

River Dan

Can't wait to get the grandkids out in the boat again this year came across this pic of the kids in the boat, good times!100_0930.jpg

marble-eye

2 1/2 months till soft water fishing. Sounds like the dog days of winter has set in. The Croix will now always open up the first Saturday in May. If MN or WI opened up the season on the Croix early, the other state technically could not fish it. Bureaucracy at its finest. WI and MN DNR didn't talk to each other for many years. Going to miss the April openers.

fishwater

pic of the kids in the boat, good times!100_0930.jpg

Dan, I thought you were going to keep a lid on the new rig?! Sweet photo of the kids!