• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
FLWRube

Cell phone service?

FLWRube

Does anyone know if Sprint works on Red Lake?

This is my first trip up. Thanks.

opsirc

I know cellone/at&t does not.

eric29

I think sprint does work, if i remember right i was up with a friend who had sprint last year and it work. I have verizon and get good service with that.

SomethingFishy*

Sprint works pretty well up there. I use my laptop internet card when on the lake. Verizon will also wok for you.

ENMIFDAD

Someone was telling me you can change the network on your phone to pick up service for AT&T, but I'm not sure if that works or not. I think in need my 11 year old to help me laugh

ozzie

sprint works but in roaming

luckydog25

I have sprint and spend alot of time up there summer and winter, my phone hasn't worked for 2 years but always did before that. If there is a trick to switch towers please share!!!

sx2

i have sprint great service but roam.

nowacc

I have been up there 4 times in the last 2 years and never had a problem with my Alltel phone.

MuleShack

I have sprint and spend alot of time up there summer and winter, my phone hasn't worked for 2 years but always did before that. If there is a trick to switch towers please share!!!

I'll second that question...

I have a nextel phone with sprint service and I loose signal somewhere around Northome and have not been able to get a signal on my phone any of the 3 times up there.

Please do share if there is a trick...i have mine set on "Automatic", with the other choices being sprint only and roaming only. I have a IC902 phone by motorola.

Being with out a phone is ok, but would be nice to have a safety in case of problems. I usually have to go to the gas station to use the pay phone to check messages.

KOTTKE

my sprint works great up there, it only 6 month old, newer tech. maybe??

SomethingFishy*

Nextel phones use differnt technology, that is probably the issue you are having.

ozzie

sprint and nextel even though they are on the same network they don't work the same.

luckydog25

I checked my phone and it was set to sprint only towers, I switched it to automatic. We will see if it works next time I am up.

ENMIFDAD

I just spoke with a cust service rep from AT&T and he said that if Verizon has service that my phone should be able to pick up that tower and use it. I stated that my Razor would not and neither would my buddy who also has AT&T. His only response was "did you turn it on and off? Well, I don't know, it should work" mad Thanks for nothing.

I'm bringing my father and uncle up in two weeks and would like to be able to contact the outfitter and also for emergency uses. Hopefully I won't need either.

walleyewild

The ic902 is a hybrid handset, digital only. So it won't roam onto the analog towers in the area, I use an ic902 as my primary handset but also have a sanyo pro700 as a backup. My Pro700 works where the GF's AT&T handset won't.

Nextel doesn't have towers in the area and won't roam to anything other then Nextel.

Been fixing Nextels for years and sprint since the merger.

So any other questions I'll be happy to answer just post in the Equipment forum and I'll get back to you.

WW

MuleShack

good info

thanks

norwall

Not to be a sour lemon but what irks me the most is cell phone use on water. I see people using it frequently and hear it ringing, I mean yeah if its for emergency use sure by all means,I carry 1 too but for that use only. For me i dont turn it on due to the fact im on vacation and dont need the distration of work,friends etc. I realize its the 21st century and times are changing but sheesh lets keep in mind we are there to fish n hunt or whatever it may be , and I wont even get started on the internet thing lol. Now on a side note my provider is t-mobile and no it doesnt work well or atleast when i turned it on the time or 2 to ck,anywho... good luck

RiverFish

Norwall,

I could not agree more.

ENMIFDAD

If someone gets hurt, or if your propane runs out in the middle of the night and its -30 below and your vehicle won't start. Tell me how important it would be to you to have cell phone coverage? I'm not asking because I want to keep in touch with the buddies, or find out what the wife is having for dinner back home, I just want to have it when I need it.

kelly-p

Off topic but if you ever have an emergency without a working cel phone turn your vehicle flashers on. Everyone working on Hillman's road watches for that.

ENMIFDAD

Good to know. Thanks Kelly. Our last trip was -40 below a few weeks ago, and none of us had cell coverage, and none of our vehicles would start, but your house was nice and warm, and the fish didn't seem to care.

chaffmj

Quote:
Not to be a sour lemon but what irks me the most is cell phone use on water. I see people using it frequently and hear it ringing,

Wow that would be annoying. I don't know where you fish but where I go I haven't had that problem yet.

Bob/Mn

I have trackphone and it doesn't work on red lake.

chrismackmn

Verizon was the only one that worked for us. We had all the big ones (Sprint, TMobile, At&T and Verzion) and only the verizon phones had coverage.