• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Joe

2020 Forest Lake-Hinckley-Lindstrom-Pine City-Rush City Fishing Reports

Stringerless!

Started on Comfort. Fished 3 different spots with 0 bites. Went over to green and caught lots of small crappies and sunnies in 30fow. Euros on a jigging spoon. no bobber.

frazwood

I fished Big Marine yesterday afternoon in 15 fow. I caught VERY tiny bluegills and perch until sunset.

I then caught a handful of crappies (nice, but nothing special) over the next 90 minutes. The fish were at least 7 ft off of the bottom (i.e., they were not in the "zoom" area on my Marcum flasher).

SBang

Just got back from a experimental day at Green Lake. I usually fish deep at this lake but decided to go shallow due to a malfunctioning vexilar. [PoorWordUsage]! Went to the channel with my little brother and spot fished three different ares. Saw 3 walleyes but they wouldn't commit to the bite. Caught around 10 crappies but none were over 9".

CrappieFshr651

Went out to Chisago tonight with my girlfriend. Fished in about 30fow. Started off with euros and caught a bunch of little crappies. Switched over to minnows and ended up catching my limit of 9-10 inchers. Fish were a little finicky they liked a lot of action. Was there from about 6:30-11:30pm, vex was lit up like a christmas tree from the bottom about 15ft up the whole time. Not a bad night.

addictedjerry

decided i was going to fish chisago area so i left work friday at 11:30 (1-30-09). first stop, big green, decided to set up well away from anyone else in 24 fow. crappie bite was non stop until about 10:30 p.m.. ended the first night of the weekend with 75+ crappies, majority were 9", 9.5" crappies. didn't keep anything less than 10", went home with 7 crappies.

saturday morning I moved to south center, set up in 17 fow near one of the deep drops. watched hundreds of sunfish cruising the edge with an occasional school of crappies. caught and released about 20 sunnies and a 1/2 dozen crappies.

contemplated staying where I was to try for evening/night walleyes but decided to move deeper. setup in 28 fow and caught 15 crappies (5 over 10").

sunday morning I dropped the camera down and at about 10, started seeing walleyes moving from the shallows to the deeper water, only got one 10" to bite (first walleye of the year). saw maybe 20 walleyes only one was keeper size.

Ray Esboldt

Fished an East Central Lake on Saturday and Sunday and got my tail-end handed to me by my 9 year old. The crappies and sunfish wanted a small bait and bit real light but came after the bait at mach speed on Saturday. Sunday stunk for me, but my brother lit the crappies up on minnows.

Nothing big (10" was the biggest crappie) but good entertainment.

Craigums

Well my dad and I decided to hit a lake in Aitkin County that we have had luck on in the past. This time though we wanted to try some new spots. I looked at a GPS and found a 25ft hole in a bay that I thought would hold some crappies so that is where we headed, turns out my secret spot wasn't that secret and there were about 20 ice houses in the hole. We decided to pass up on the crowds and post up in a 20ft hole a little off the beaten path, we threw the truck in 4WD only to end up getting stuck next to a plowed ice road. We spent the next 2 hours digging out the truck, luckily two nice gentlemen helped us push it out. By this time im completely soaked in snow/sweat. We drag our suitcase style portable to a where I thought the 20ft hole was and just start punching holes with the auger to tired/lazy to check depths. Open the ice house up and see a bunch of mouse [PoorWordUsage]! The little %#*@'s chewed holes through the canvas and soiled the shack. We decided to fish anyways, only to find out we must have missed the hole by a few yards and wound up in 16ft of water no fish other than a bunch of 4in perch. We packed the shack up early after a dissappointing day only to have a HUGE gust of wind come through and blow my shack about 100yards bending all the poles. At this point I just didn't care anymore, Gives me an excuse to buy a better ice shack.

...Long story short it was a memorable day to say the least and still better than a good day at work. If I get my new portable this week I will be going out this weekend and try to get a report up that involves a little better luck and maybe some pics too.

~Craig

Fishhappy1986

Was out on s.center wed. was there from 1pm to midnight fish weren't jumpin out of holes but did manage 2 10in+ crappies and two walleyes a small guy and a nice 3-4lber both released my buddy was siked as we all were, we sat there forever didn't catch much til dark and bam the crappies showed up along with that big walter. Turned out to be a decient night. grin

TravP

Went out today on a lake in the north metro in search of some big bluegills. I found a spot in 7-9 ft of water that was just full of nice green weeds. Had to use the low power mode on my FL20. I drilled one hole, dropped my flasher down, and immediatly caught an 8.5 inch gill, so I grabbed the auger and drilled maybe 20 holes. I used a blue marmooshka tipped with either Gulp! waxies or red and white maggots. My girlfried used my last lindy pounder in glow/green tipped with red and white maggots and a slip bobber. We had to hole hop a little after a few fish out of each hole but the bite was really consistant. We fished for about an hour and a half and came home with 16 gills between 8.5 and 9.25 and realeased another 10 or so. All in all it was a great day to be out.

TravP

STA72702.jpg

AugieAngler1010

Fished Forest Lake, Bone, and Big Marine yesterday. Fished tip-ups on Big Marine all afternoon and got a few flags, 6-9 FOW. Set up on a deep hole for the evening hoping for some crappies, but they never materialized. Great day to be out.

Rivernut

Hit N.Center this a.m. from 8:00-10:45. Minnows and red euro's. 26fow, caught crappies suspended 8-14 down. Bigger fish on minnow's. Also had a couple sunnies grab a minnow in 8-10 fow. 20-25 fish, 2 that would have been keepers, had I been keeping any. Still fast, fun action for a couple hours.

Stringerless!

10 hours on Green in 24 fow. Kept 8 crappies. Biggest 2 at 10 1/4 and 11 3/8 the rest were 9 of course. Caught too many fish to count but mostly little ones. Saw 4 walleyes on the cam one even came in for a real close look and moved towards the bait. Then backed away!! Damnit! Lots of people. About 5 inches of water on the road out from the access when I left at 5:00.

CJH

I was on Big Marine Sunday (2/8) 4-10 PM and although it was a nice day, action was slow. Between three of us caught five nonkeeper crappies, nothing else. At least the beer was good!

TravP

Personally, my bigger fish come off plastics. Its been like that all winter. You just need confidence in them. No particular color for jigs.

FasterThanYou23

has anybody ever caught a largemouth out of rush?i caught a tiny one by cigar on saturay...first one ive ever seen out of there.

TravP

has anybody ever caught a largemouth out of rush?i caught a tiny one by cigar on saturay...first one ive ever seen out of there.

I've caught quite a few by accident, both summer and winter. Mostly between 12 and maybe 16-17 inches.

MN Angler

Around the time the pannies move to the shallows to spawn I have gotten some pigs. Last year my girlfriend got a 5 pounder in the channel between the two lakes.

PSourasinth

Was out on West Rush Lake yesterday with a buddy of mine from 4:30am to about 10am. Fished two different spots and did OK. First spot, caught 13 9-11" crappies in about 22 fow. We threw back about 6-8 fish that were smaller/larger than that size. Used minnow heads or small whole minnows. Then when things seemed to slow down, moved about 300 yards northeast of where we were and immediately started nailing the perch. Drilled 6 holes and was hole hopping in 8 to 11 fow. Perch were anywhere from 7-11". Caught around 25-30 perch, but only kept about 15, due to size. Kept the ones that were 9-11". Perch were hitting on Minnow heads and waxworms. Overall, had lots of fun and was a good day. ,mk,lo

kustmoboy

I caught a 21 inch largemouth trolling for muskies about 3 years ago. We catch a stray bass here and there fishing for muskies but they are usually in the 13-16 inch range.

Heukins91

me and my girl friend went down to the anoka dam Saturday, she hooked up with a nice carp right away, than it went in to the rocks and got tangled in the rock i believe that was it for the day. but we went back sunday, there for awhile, caught a few nice smallies off my corn rig, got stoked for the season, and started to remember why i love fishing so much. also got out to my favorite little pond and got a few tiny sunnys yesterday, tons of bites, nothing worth bragin, but hey first fish ive caught this year that wasnt in a hole, so iam happy.

Heukins91

whats every one else been catching?

sicheneder

i was out on fri. the crappies were just coming in it and they were only in one area that was one that warms the fastest and the only area we found a few. kept 7 crappies. biggest 11". still some time before there is a lot in shallow. we did see a few bass starting to move shallow. it took till the afternoon for to see the bass to start moving in shallow into the cuts.

Timmy D

Got out this afternoon with the kids. Very little action on a the bobber/bait rigs but really got into them with a little beetle spin. Found lots of fish hanging out on the surface. Cast the beetle spin into them and slow, slow, slow roll it back. We would get bit on almost every cast. Nothing huge but most crappies were 7-9", a couple nice sunnies about that size and a few bonus bass and northerns once in a while. Lots of action and lots of fun for me and the kids plus a really nice day!

matthothand

Update: more crappies in shallow and more people fishing. Bays and channels on both lakes. Probably west for more crappies. It's not a trophy trip... it's a fill your bucket trip.

ozzie

why not a catch and release trip.......I still can't understand how some people think if you catch fish you must keep fish.....I have litteraly had people get mad at me for releasing fish!!! I have no problem with keeping a meal here and there but I never go out fishing with the intention or even thought of keeping fish. I hope everyone is getting out and enjoying the spring crappie fishing but just remember to let a few go to grow......Good Luck

bassphish2005

I hear ya Ozzie...your right on!

polarsusd81

Great post Ozzie. I am in the same boat or walking the same shore as you. There are certain trips that I go out to catch a few for the pan, but very very rarely do I keep a limit. The only time I do a limit is when my grandparents are coming over. Fishing isn't only about going home and messing up the kitchen counter with fish guts.

redbandit

Got out this afternoon with the kids. Very little action on a the bobber/bait rigs but really got into them with a little beetle spin. Found lots of fish hanging out on the surface. Cast the beetle spin into them and slow, slow, slow roll it back. We would get bit on almost every cast. Nothing huge but most crappies were 7-9", a couple nice sunnies about that size and a few bonus bass and northerns once in a while. Lots of action and lots of fun for me and the kids plus a really nice day!

Nice to see you getting out Timmy!

jdog

i agree with the whole letting fish go thing to a point i mean ya gotta think most of the crappies and sunnies gulp the hook down so is it wise to throw back a fish like that it could look great when you release that fish but ive seen many time the same fish belly up behind the boat its gotta be a jugdement call