• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Haven't been out in two weeks. Anybody catching crappies, or has it slowed down for the hard water season? Crappie bite has been pretty good on Waconia, but the size can't compare to the good ole Croix.

Crappie bite has been pretty good on Waconia, but the size can't compare to the good ole Croix.

I've always done well on Waconia, generally speaking the bigger crappies (12" to 14") tend to bite kind of late...8:30pm to around 10:00pm, they bite pretty well throughout march and even better once the ice goes out, try the south end behind the island, right out front of the In Town marina.

Peace.

for those that have been out on the river lately...do you need an auger extension? i want to give it a shot this week but can't find an auger extension anywhere

I cant find mine either but was able to get through, but only inches to spare I have an old eskimo and its fairly small.

no extenstion but it was close. We where out 6-1:30 yesterday. They where there just not biting much. The group had 6 crappie 1 white bass for 6 guys. Nothing great for size but still nice to get out.

went out sunday...nothing...hardly a mark. tried two spots that usually produce at least a few and nothing. seems the doldrums of winter have set in as per usual. hopefully it'll pick up with some warmer weather

I have had similar luck csp2009. I have marked fish consistently the last few times I went out this week but it takes a whole lot of coaxing just to get them to look at the bait. Next week forecast is in the upper 30's grin

Finally got out yesterday from 11-4 and got blanked. Saw very few marks in either of the spots we tried. Having sleds was definitely the way to go off road. Saw a lot of folks getting stuck throughout the day.

Guess we're either in the mid-winter doldrums or I've lost my mojo. Still a great day to be out!

• 3 weeks later...

There's plowed roads. Some slush pockets. Typically fish 30 to 40 fow .... wis side has some need cell structures to fish.

Was out two weeks ago and was almost to the handels but I don't think there has been any ice build since so I dont' think a extension is needed.

How is the fishing on the Bayport side of the river?

Keep it fun,

Htb

Was out yesterday. consider using a extension. not needed but would greatly help. i had to shovel 2ft of snow at some spots just to get to the ice. and then that still took me all the way to the handles. slow but managed to put fish on the ice. group of 5. total 15 keeper 10"+ crappies and another 10 crappies under 10". one big fight but snapped line 2lb test. very very finicky fish. had a bunch of fish just look at the bait, then run off. good luck out there. fish on.

Had a pretty good day on the river yesterday. 2 guys, kept 17 fish, threw back 5 or 6 and seemed like I lost as many as I caught. We were in 34ft on the WI side. Roads were getting really slushy at the end of the day. Lots of people getting stuck trying to cross on the path from WI access to MN access. I would stay off that trail, the rest were ok as of yesterday. You don't need an extension if you shovel some snow before you drill. Good luck.

I was the one out with him and we were catching them anywhere between 20ft down to right off the bottom. The ones that were closer to the bottom didn't bite as often as the ones that were higher up.

Was out yesterday. consider using a extension. not needed but would greatly help. i had to shovel 2ft of snow at some spots just to get to the ice. and then that still took me all the way to the handles. slow but managed to put fish on the ice. group of 5. total 15 keeper 10"+ crappies and another 10 crappies under 10". one big fight but snapped line 2lb test. very very finicky fish. had a bunch of fish just look at the bait, then run off. good luck out there. fish on.

Nice report KengBassin'

• 2 weeks later...

Got out from 2-7 today from the WI access. Took a sled as there's water at the edge now. Saw one guy try to drive on and he got stuck with his rear wheels in the water and front up on the ice. Drilled a hole right in front of access just to check ice and it's about 3' still. Guys are driving on from the MN side still.

Didn't hit a thing till 530, which was a nice 16" eye. Ended up catching 3 more eyes and two crappie. Fished 35 fow.

Not many folks out there, maybe 6-8 other portys that i could see all day. Top snow has mostly melted and refrozen. Easy getting around anywhere now.

All in all great day out on what may be my final ice fishing for the year.

• 4 weeks later...

Stopped by the bluffs regional park today, the landing barriers where gone so

I drove down to the bottom lot, the river was wide open with no ice in sight.

Anyone been out on the river yet ? water looked high but it "was" blue...

Dusting off my gear and digging the boat/motor out as soon as I post this !

smirk

Yep - the water is high. River is at 684 feet so the No Wake Restriction is in place. It is slow going for a while. Forecast looks like it should drop to under 683 feet about next Tuesday and that should lift the No Wake rule.

Cool thanks for the info, have guests for the holiday weekend,

I'll be out there next week for sure checking out all my spots.

• 1 month later...

Got on the river yesterday morning. Launched at the Bluff’s with no real issues. However, a good part of the dock is underwater. Water temp ranged from 52 to 55. Managed to get 4 keepers eyes between 15.5 and 19 and threw back 4 that were around 13 to 14 inches. Also 1 white bass. All fish were caught rigging leaches in 17 to 21 feet.%7Boption%7D

What area do you mainly fish up that way? Along by the Bluffs the park or up by the Kinnickinnic? I have only fished the Prescott area.

Previous report was up by the Kinni.

Fished the Hudson area tonight for 4 hours 3 - 7. Trolled cranks in 15 - 22 feet of water. 7 eyes from 13 - 21 inches and 1 small sauger. All fish on Minnow Firetiger Raps. Shallower one run straight back 175 feet. Deeper one run with a .5 oz snap weight 140 feet back (snap weight at 70 Feet). Water temp averaged about 58 degrees. Lots of boats ignoring the no wake or maybe it was lifted, but the signs were still up.

The river is .4 inches from the no wake coming off. Get ready for a great MN bass opener!

The no wake is off, tuna boats are out...

managed to catch a few this morning, bite seemed

to begin about 9:00 am and went good for about an

hour and a half, skinny water was hot, deep was not.

20 inch sauger, spawned out female, hit the fire tiger shad rap.

Tight lines gentlemen.