• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Mike89
24 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

You got that right!  Just checked radar and the incoming precip is turning almost hurricane like.  

yup it's going to get ugly I'm thinking....

smurfy

i'm venturing to guess there's  a lot of big drifts on the lakes. but i'm not going to go look!!!!!!!!!:grin:

IceHawk

You are right smurfy she's nasty out there. Serious drifting going on and once the colds set in this week those drifts will become concrete barriers.  There is going to be a lot of frustrated guys trying to get at there houses. I'm sure glad mines off and sitting in storage for the season. Talked to Borch not to long ago and he was on cedar island scouting for cool cats sounded like the makeshift rd aka goat trail was drifting in real fast.  Horsehoe winter access is really drifted in bad.  Joes resort on Big lake is blown shut.  Not looking very promiseing for fishing locally unless you have a track vehicle or snowmobile and even those may be tricky with slush pockets. 

Borch

Went on a mission to see if I could get to any of the kitties spots today.   Was really pumped when I saw a nice plowed road on Cedar Island.30464.thumb.jpeg.b9b7f8150e3ac6690f1e463017b1c321.jpeg

Well that didn't last long as I buried my 1 ton diesel in 2+ feet of drifted snow.  Got stuck twice and off roading wasn't and option. Couldn't get within 1/2 of the kittie spots.  The Horseshoe winter access was drifted shut and not much of the trail left.  Gonna be tough going for a long time.

smurfy

wow. someone really plowed that out wide since I took my tour around the lakes yesterday. I'm sure that wind filled any low spot with snow around that point. i'm staying home and doing something real exciting...…..like getting my tax stuff in order to bring in!!!!!!!😖😣 

smurfy

there were 3 vehicles out on schnieder lake and 3 on cedar island this morning when I drove by. the rest was deserted.

Coleman
On 3/9/2019 at 11:35 AM, smurfy said:

there were 3 vehicles out on schnieder lake and 3 on cedar island this morning when I drove by. the rest was deserted.

I saw the same situation, I took the sled for a ride around the chain.  Saw a few guys fishing northwest of the big island on Cedar.  And a few guys fishing the narrows going into Schneider.  Otherwise, nothing going on.  There wasn't a soul on Horseshoe.  I also cruised over on Becker, same situation..no one.  But, I d id find some pizza.  :) I brought them to a buddy's house in Richmond.  

20190309_111132.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

smurfy

nice sled.............i'm a can am guy myself!!!!!!!!!! live in cold spring i see????? so do i. born and raised in richmond.

leech~~
30 minutes ago, Coleman said:

I saw the same situation, I took the sled for a ride around the chain.  Saw a few guys fishing northwest of the big island on Cedar.  And a few guys fishing the narrows going into Schneider.  Otherwise, nothing going on.  There wasn't a soul on Horseshoe.  I also cruised over on Becker, same situation..no one.  But, I d id find some pizza.  :) I brought them to a buddy's house in Richmond.  

20190309_111132.jpg

What, why would anyone leave $8 bucks worth of pizza's on the ice? 🤔   😄

smurfy

maybe they were to doped up to remember they had them!!!!!!!!!!!!!:P:blink:

Coleman

On 3/11/2019 at 11:20 AM, smurfy said:

nice sled.............i'm a can am guy myself!!!!!!!!!! live in cold spring i see????? so do i. born and raised in richmond.

Yeah, recently purchased a house north of the Richspring Golf course.  My parent's have a place on Elkview Cir, they've been there since 87.  Before that they stayed at Island View when Walt ran it.  Wife and I lived in Sartell, and decided it was time to get out of town.  Plus, we're closer to her parent's, and mine. 

On 3/11/2019 at 11:38 AM, leech~~ said:

What, why would anyone leave $8 bucks worth of pizza's on the ice? 🤔   😄

HAHA, $8 is normal price, on sale they're $2 each.  :)  Looked like they struggled to get the house off the ice, based on the snow conditions, so they probably were out there a lot longer then they thought they would be.  

On 3/11/2019 at 12:02 PM, smurfy said:

If they were Totinos, then I would have no doubt about that.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

leech~~
On 3/11/2019 at 12:02 PM, smurfy said:

Couldn't be. Only alcohol makes you forget. Pot makes you a Genius, repairs brain cells and makes your hair grow long again!  I just read that somewhere around here? 🤔

• Haha 2

smurfy

the hwy 22 access had 44 vehicles and rigs parked there at 9;15 this morning. cold spring access was packed full too!!!!!!

thought it be safe to run into st cloud, fleet farm, but yea that place was an absolute zoo also!!!!!!!

Huntin&Fishin

Boat landings were packed around the area. Any good reports without lakes being named? I let the opener weekend warriors have there two days, then get out when the crowds die down.

fishingstar

fished rice last two days. Didn't see a keeper size walleye out of any boats out there.

smurfy

today you almost could of had the whole chain by yourself. this afternoon anyway!!!!!!

DonkeyHodey

Water just isn't warming up!

Spent a good portion of the last three days chasing panfish on a few lakes just north of St. Cloud.  One particular lake I fished the last weekend of April and water temp was ~50-52 degrees (depending on the side of the lake.)

The last 2 days I fished the same lake (~almost 4 weeks later) and it's running a temperature of 53-54 degrees!--4 weeks and only 2 degrees difference in temp is fairly insane for May.

The lake bottom and reeds around it still look just like after ice-out...

While we located quite a few sunnies/crappies/bass in the shallow water (like 1-3 feet), they showed very little interest in biting.  Lure/bait options (flu flus, tube jugs, nightcrawlers) didn't seem to make any difference...

I usually find the panfish bite is HOT around memorial day but I'm not predicting much improvement with the continuing cloudy/cool weather forecast. 

I'll be fishin' in the Bemidji area over the weekend and the last few years for me Memorial day means Fish Fry; this year it might mean pizza.

Borch

I was up in that general area last weekend.  Both walleyes and panfish were pretty cooperative despite the cruddy weather and cold water temps.

DonkeyHodey

Back again fishing a few of the same little lakes in central MN I fished earlier in the year:  (Southern Tood/Morrison--North and West of Big Birch.)

I think we're in the Golden late spring/early summer fishing Hot time!!!  (let your lawn go this week... get on the lake!)

Water temp:   we're now at 66-68 in the body of the lake!--(two weeks later and we’re up 10+ degrees; those 80 degree days seem to have woke everything up.)

Vegitation:  2 weeks ago it was all brown/dried bulrushes—now there’s lots of green!  Lilly pads are just emerging everywhere, Green bullrushes and the underwater vegitation is such that while it's all green and growing, it's not thick enough to tangle things much.--I can still easily trolling through the shallows without my trolling motor getting hung up.

The fish are sitting on top the vegitation!—I can’t stress enough; if you are looking for the panfish in the shallows, LOOK—ya don’t need fish finders/etc…  Go out on a calm, sunny day (If you are boating, approach the shallows very slowly and quietly—if you stand up, you’ll know where the fish are (?were) because you’ll see the fish scattering by the hundreds when you get close to a spot; Kayakers can have a blast!!!)   (course it's sad when your little fishing buddy snags the tree on the shore, you pull in through the hot-spot to grab the lure and watch a monster bass swim away...)

Fishing bite:   targeting pans.  I use a pink/white flu-flu, wife uses pink tube-jig, daughter using yellow flu-flu (all occasionally using little bits of nightcrawler for a little flavor and with bobbers set at only ~1-1.5 feet); son was casting a plastic beetle crawler—sunnies/bass/perch/crappies all biting.  The bobbers are pretty much a fish every cast!

The shallows aren’t yet infested with the tiny sunnies that seem to happen in mid summer; big bellied females showing up along with the nest-guarding males.  If the sunnies aren't already on the spawn, that will be happening this week.  Be selective if you’re harvesting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hofnasty

I was on Big Birch Lake about a week ago. Lake is in great condition. Water temp was slightly higher than I expected it to be, the water level was also much higher than it usually is for this time of year. Bass were very active. I was using a Texas rig with a pit boss plastic using a Palomar Knot with braided line. Surprisingly, during the early evening hours very nice size crappies were hitting too. I was targeting Bass throughout the weekend on Big Birch. Weed Lines along the Western bank were doing well.

IMG_20190606_194334.jpg

IMG_20190608_132453.jpg

IMG_20190608_203234.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

Water temps in the Northwest Angle are varying between 55 degrees and 59 in shallower areas.

In Minnesota, the bite has been very good. Big fish have been caught trolling crank baits in less than 15 feet of water. Keeper size walleye are being found in 18-22 feet with orange and parakeet jigs and a minnow being the most preferred combo. We saw multiple fish over 28 inches this week!

The fish in Canada have been smacking pink and white, and parakeet jigs tipped with a shiner or minnow in 22-26 feet of water.  Aggressiveness has picked up with the rising temperatures. Anglers are reporting a good number of multi specie catches including crappie, perch, walleye, sauger, bass and pike.

Open water season is just getting started and will only improve! 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Up here in the Northwest Angle lines are tight and fish are biting! Water temps are warmer in the shallows at 50-52 degrees to upper 40’s in the main lake.

Recent weather was not great but the fishing was. Some of the best action has been within a few miles of the lodge. Walleyes have been found anywhere from 3 to 30ft. 22-30ft with a jig and minnow is best during daylight hours. 

Multiple trophy walleye were caught this week including a couple 28’s and one 31 inch.  The bite off of the dock late evening is really heating up and will produce limits.

Come up soon to take advantage of great spring fishing! 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Fishing remains consistently strong on the Minnesota side this week. Many species are quick to bite leaving anglers with a very mixed bag at the end of the day. We saw multiple 40+ inch Northern, many Perch, even a Lake Trout among an already strong Walleye bite. 22-24 ft on gravel bottom surrounded by mud has been our best spots. Be sure to charge up any Glow tackle in use, with the increasing snow cover, glow or lighted lures have been hot. Pink/white and gold are also very effective on sunny days.
      The Canadian bite just keeps getting better! Crappies can be found in 30 foot holes while 22-26 ft flats on break lines have been hot for a Sauger/Walleye mix.
      Remember to stick to well-traveled trails as most have not been staked/marked as of yet.
      Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• fins_n'_feathers
      Fished for a few hours this afternoon after the rain went through and the wind died down a bit. Tried a good dozen places in between black bay and the Brule and only got around 10 fish for the effort. The water was still pretty much ice cold at a cool 65 degrees in the main lake. We checked a few off shore reefs and saw zero signs of life on the ones we checked. The places we did get a few fish was were there was a rock to mud transition near shore on points. All in all another tough outing for us and on a side note, on the way in we pulled cranks in shallow water and the May flys were thick on the surface on the wind blown side. 
    • rkhinrichs
      I fished at the Forbes canoe access below the dam one day. And caught a 16 inch on a fly. I will give it a float and report back after the fourth
    • going4it
      Any tips on smallies up there? First time coming up. 
    • srj
      Nice report as usual, Hoey. We are fishing Wed and Thurs. Sounds like it will be ugly hot coming up. Hopefully, the fish will finally get into their summer patterns.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Definitely hit up some trails. My kids love to hike and explore. They surprise me with their willingness to keep trekking along. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      As long as there are bugs to eat, the trout will always hit the surface. As summer progresses, there will be less and less trout to catch.
    • rayguy
      Does it ever quit blowing?  Tough conditions this week. Fish scattered all over the place.  Bass hitting the best, panfish the least. Walleyes in the middle.  Best for us has been late afternoon on lindys and leeches. Nothing great but with the warmup coming I think things will improve. Did see a 7-8 lber caught ,  on a Daredevil of all things.  Keep the beer cold.  Go get em.  Rayguy
    • NorthBound&Down
      Thanks for the information!
    • OutdoorLife4Life
      Hey guys! We were up last weekend but only got to fish for a few hours. We caught a bunch of pike anywhere from mid teens in length to the low 20” range. We also caught a few bass and a few walleyes. Biggest eye was 19. We contacted all our fish from 16-20 feet. Most of our bites came on a jig and minnow. My wife and brother and law were trolling spinners but only managed pike. We did try crawlers without any success but again we were only out for a few hours. We fished on whitefish and targeted bars and a couple of wind blown underwater points. Good luck this weekend! Maybe we’ll see ya out there!
    • Chill62