• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Rick G

Good job, Nick!?

• Thumbs Up 1

Borch

I got out a bit later than I normally do for a night trip as we had an early mothers day dinner with all of family mom's.  Happy Mother's Day by the way.  

We started fishing about 10:30 pm and were still getting hit at 2 am when we called it a night. Found scattered walleyes up shallow willing to hit crankbaits trolled slow.  Water temps were in the low 50 degree range.  Nothing huge but nice eaters.

20180513_000745.thumb.jpg.8e524a6b000ec9ce9f7a6407904fc495.jpg 

• Thumbs Up 2

Borch

Very cool Tom!

• Thanks 1

Borch

Pretty quiet in here.  I've been fishing out of town the past 2 weeks.  Hope to fish the area lakes this week.  Heard reports of a good day crank bite on the chain but not much else.  With the full moon coming up this week may try some evening trolling.  Anyone else having any luck?

Wanderer

Been out of town for most of my fishing as well.  Looking forward to being in the boat around home in the coming weeks.  It’s just never for the amount of hours I get on board for the out of town trips.  More like 2-4, maybe 6 hours at best here.  Never the marathon 12-15 hour days I’ve been blessed to have a few times this season so far.

I did just walk down to the river to make a few casts for my evening fix and picked up a 17.5 smallie on a Pop R.  That’ll have to do for today. 😉

Tom Sawyer

To call this summer "busy", would be the understatement of the year for me.....

Wanderer

@Tom Sawyer

Its not supposed to be that way.  Is it??  It stinks when everything else gets in the way of spending some time on the water. 😒

• Haha 1

Tom Sawyer
On 6/23/2018 at 9:53 PM, Wanderer said:

@Tom Sawyer

Its not supposed to be that way.  Is it??  It stinks when everything else gets in the way of spending some time on the water. 😒

Making up for it this week, in a BIG way while on vacation. Perfect weather for chasin' down eyes. See ya' Saturday. Bring plenty of size 7 and 9 in blue crome. Lots of gators feeding on the same forage, win a few, loose a few.....

• Thumbs Up 3

Borch

Friend and I hit the chain this morning pulling cranks shallow.  Slow fishing with a few nice walleyes, pike and lots of catfish.  Fish we found were on shallow flats.  Also a few panfish caught on cranks and several schools seen in the shallows.

Borch

My dad, eyeguy and I hit a local lake last night and pulled some lures for the full moon.  Dad wasn't able to head out until my nephews baseball game was finished.  We got a late start but that was fine.  It was a beautiful night with a stiff ESE wind and very mild temps.  The moon was bright with some low wispy clouds blowing by us.  I've been out of town the past few weeks so things had changed a lot since I last fished this lake.  Water temps have warmed ro 76 degrees,  the water has cleared and man have the weeds grown up.  This made for some difficult trolling conditions as lures continuously fouled with weeds.  We did fine a few spots that were clear enough to troll some shallow cranks over the top of the weed growth.  The first spot had some small eyes and a lonely smallmouth bass.  We didn't find the second spot until we were about to head home.  Eyeguy popped a nice eater almost right away.  We caught several walleyes and rock bass the next 2 hours and ended up going home with a couple meals worth of nice walleyes.  When we were packing away gear at home the skies were getting brighter and the birds were starting to sing.   It was a fun night even though it took us a while to get on the walleyes.

17065.thumb.jpeg.16717d4dd20cd2f0e25148e34ef40a0c.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

eyeguy 54

Thx for not kicking me out of the boat when I started howling. ;)  Sure was fun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Borch

Well I made a solo trip for some evening trolling on Tuesday night.  Same program as before.  Water temps a little cooler and water levels up from all the rain we've received the last week.  Had a hard time with fish staying hooked once they hit.  Lost fish from right after the hit to right at the boat.  Some nights are like that.  Ended up keeping 3 for a fresh meal of walleye after fishing a couple hours.

20180704_024646.thumb.jpg.99f0b88a3f50d5b9a1b66d4e30506092.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

smurfy

;):wow: nice eyes!!!!!!!! thats more eyes then i catch in 3 years!!!!!!!:wacko::blink::crazy:

eyeguy 54

nice! 

smurfy
34 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

nice! 

he went solo this time??? musta been the howling!!!!!!!!!:crazy:😂:P

eyeguy 54
3 hours ago, smurfy said:

he went solo this time??? musta been the howling!!!!!!!!!:crazy:😂:P

HA!   would have gone but had a busy day planned wednesday. then ended up in ER we night doing a dance with a kidney stone. not fun but getting better. 

smurfy

UGH!!! Hope all is better. I hear them are painful!

ANYFISH2
22 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

HA!   would have gone but had a busy day planned wednesday. then ended up in ER we night doing a dance with a kidney stone. not fun but getting better. 

I fight stones from time to time too.  No fun.  Hope all passes well.

eyeguy 54

first timer. not in bladder yet. not fun. drugs helping. 

Mike89
2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

first timer. not in bladder yet. not fun. drugs helping. 

did they break them up for ya??   never had them and don't want them!!!!!

hope all goes well for ya....

eyeguy 54

thx, just one.  2mm. no need to make it smaller.  just gotta let it do its thing. 

Wanderer
Posted (edited)

I found a tightly grouped school of smallies last night hanging on a pile of 22 - 50 mm stones in the river. 😉

18 incher

07352C53-73B1-4C1C-AA4A-AE62B3242A2A.jpeg.4f6adfc876fb38886bd492c582f9b74c.jpeg

They’ve been pretty tough in the high muddy water lately but if you can find the right current break they seem eager to eat again.  3 inch swim baits and Rapalas are doing it right now.

Good luck Royce.  I’ve only had one in my life and that’s one more than I needed!

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tom Sawyer
5 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

thx, just one.  2mm. no need to make it smaller.  just gotta let it do its thing. 

Glad your on the mend...

Coleman

Has anyone been able to find a few eyes on the chain? I've been really struggling this week. Water temps in the upper 70s and weeds seem to be everywhere. I've been seeing weeds up to 18' deep. I've been mainly fishing Horseshoe, but plan to hit Cedar this morning. Mainly been dragging a spinner rig with a crawler in 15-17'. Thanks for any help. 

Luckily I have a load of venison to feed the crew if the eyes don't cooperate. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• jtnjenn
      By jtnjenn
      What are ice depths in the metro right now?
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Chetta09
      Ice conditions varied on Saturday. 6" to 12". There is a pressure ridge to look out for. I saw guys with 1/2 ton trucks and fish houses all over. We chose the ATV to get around. Still to early for trucks in my opinion.  We caught fish but definitely had to stay mobile.  
    • wahoo
      I use the Clam Ice Armor--the ones for about $69.  Not great for dexterity but the warmest I have found.  Get a good muff like Cabelas sells with thinsulite and puta few hand warmers inside.  Work well and keep hands moderately dry. Or, get goretex/thinsulite mists and put a hand warmer in each one.  They slide off easily.   Haven't tried electric.  
    • mikemac
      Nope. Not even close.
    • Kettle
      Fished the SW corner today about 2 miles out. Lowest amount of ice I found was 10" and a few spots well over 20". Before anyone gets too excited I'm pretty sure these spots were where the ice push up on itself or below itself. Rough ice in general. Marked a lot of fish, tried everything and eventually got a few at dusk on a dead stick and a spoon. No big cracks but a few about half a foot and completely open. Nice to get out but was a long walk out and back.
    • leech~~
      PBJ samy with chips and a Coke?  😌
    • Lamont Gray
      Hi i was wondering how the ice and bite been on phalen just tips to where to head 2nd year ice fishing and I always wanted to try there don't want any ones secret  spots just the depths people been lucky on I want to learn to ice fish big lakes  Fishing_Prizes_2017.pdf
    • Team Bobberdown
      Well I wish you guys would do it after walleye closes. The last few years you guys have done it on the final weekend of walleye  so some people won't do it . Cats don't close so you can do it whenever you want. 
    • slammer
      Dakota lithium has a cool little box like that.  Comes with a lithium battery thats half the weight but a bit pricey at around $200
    • Mike89
      take it slow friend!!! if it's bad say help....
    • mikemac
      I found a little cooler on Sunday morning on the lake with some ones lunch inside. I will return the cooler if you can identify it.