• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

The Chemist

Do i heard a rumor that a large northern was taken in richmond area (33lbs) . Seen pictures of the fish but question whether the lake i was told is correct. Not looking for the lake name though I have that.

IceHawk

Haven't heard of any big pike being taken out of my area, but I know a young kid got a 33 lb pike out in South Dakota last week.  More than likely the fish you heard about. It was a beast and what better ending than a youngster hooking something like that he's hooked for life!

smurfy

Got bored so took a cruise around the chain. Not much for activity.most activity was on long by the island just south of cozy corners. The usual small towns in rice few on the meth hole area. Long down by browns was almost deserted.

Edited by smurfy

Coleman
On 2/3/2018 at 5:31 AM, The Chemist said:

Do i heard a rumor that a large northern was taken in richmond area (33lbs) . Seen pictures of the fish but question whether the lake i was told is correct. Not looking for the lake name though I have that.

If it's the fish I know about, it was speared on Rice.  One of my tenants showed me the fish the other weekend.  

The Chemist

Yes that would be the one. A friend of mine sent it to me. The guy who got it is a friend of his nephew. 

smurfy

the chain was pretty much abandon today about 3 pm. browns lake had most the activity with 3 big houses out. otherwise maybe seen 4 other places with activity of 1-2 each place. the winter accesses looked pretty sloppy!!!1

IceHawk
Posted (edited)

Yah its sloppy out there. Been a tough bite locally lately. Hasn't been much going on other than a A few scattered fish here and there.  Not  a lot of numbers or size.  The diehard  local panfisherman are fishing just not around home. Been running into some of the local big guns on some of my travels to other lakes fishing just not so close to there backyard ;) Thanks for the Report Smurf!

Edited by IceHawk

smurfy

;) no problem. i'd like to head to the northland at some point before ice out but not in the cards right now, especially with the conditions up there.!!!

IceHawk
Posted (edited)

Some of the Staff guys  might be doing a few runs in the future if your interested .Dont have to go more than a hr from home.  I might have to blindfold u LOL!! shoot me your number in a pm if your ever interested

Edited by IceHawk
  • Like 1

smurfy
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Some of the Staff guys  might be doing a few runs in the future if your interested .Dont have to go more than a hr from home.  I might have to blindfold u LOL!! shoot me your number in a pm if your ever interested

:grin: sounds good!!!!!!!! i'm a good boy blindfolded..........wit beer!

Edited by smurfy

Borch

Decided to get out after I finished clearing snow and a few other chores at home today.  Found a lake without too much snow and found some nice gills and crappies willing to bite.  Fish seem to be transitioning from basins to the shallower flats.  Found these in 18-20 fow near the breakline.  Got these both on tungsten scud flies.  Also got some on plastics. 

20180306_150737.jpg20180306_154030.jpg

• Like 1

Naturboy
Posted (edited)

I got to go out yesterday on Grand Lk and was surprised that most of the area I was on(out of the public access) there was only about 2 -3 inches of snow. Just wish the fishing was better. Think I kept 6 gills, but it was a short walk. Frozen soon to be slush again at the shoreline kept me from driving out in a minivan. 

Edited by Naturboy
Content

smurfy
Posted (edited)

drove past the chain about 4;30 ish. sure not many people out?????? did notice more vehicles parked on the shore and wheeling out!! there were a few vehicles out further though.

the local pubs where a whole lot busier!!!:grin:

Edited by smurfy

smurfy

drove by the chain yesterday about 3;30 ish. sure was quiet out there. i didn't see a soul on horsehoe, a few on becker, and a couple on cedar island in the bay just south of the road access.

IceHawk
Posted (edited)

Was out there fishing today and it looked a lot different then yesterday. At least 15 vehicles and at least 5 wheelers. looked like small citys. There was a lot of ice getting shredded out there! The bite was sporadic but things r on the upside. Found some crappies today rideing right under the ice and they were aggressive! Access is just about toast heading out on Horseshoe pretty open.  Cedar island was looking tough when I left couple more warm days and its wheeler city for this cat. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Like 1

smurfy

Everyone must of been at corkies for the meat raffle Saturday.;) yea those landing looked a bit scary. Thought it was a bit funny, seen several holes augered in the river Saturday when I drove by.

• Like 1

IceHawk
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, smurfy said:

Everyone must of been at corkies for the meat raffle Saturday.;) yea those landing looked a bit scary. Thought it was a bit funny, seen several holes augered in the river Saturday when I drove by.

Definitely possible he does draw a crowd! :grin: They are checking the ice thickness there yet 4 full size trucks and a couple cars out on Becker  today yet. :crazy:

Edited by IceHawk

smurfy

No way would I cross that river at this point.

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

for sure. walking only time out there! 

smurfy

nice!!!!! nuttin better then a fresh meal of skin on sunfish.

Naturboy

I was out yesterday afternoon and noticed the water in some holes was clear and other holes the water was milky white colored. Anyone know what that’s from?

• Like 2

eyeguy 54

we noticed that over the last 2 days also. pretty strange. 

smurfy

i think its a sign you guys should be working!!!!!!!!!:grin:

seriously, ive seen that before to so would be real curious if anyone knows why!!!!!!

Borch

I hit the ice west if St Cloud this morning and start tearing up the ice looking for some crappies.  First thing I noticed us that the ice had changed significantly since I fished last weekend.  That bottom 1/2 of the ice was water saturated.   Even though there was 24-28" of ice I'm glad I walked out as the ice is not very strong right now.

Icehawk stopped by and after a search and destroy mission we did get on some nice crappies.  

Be careful out there.  Don't just assume the ice is good because it was a few days ago.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• minnleu
      By minnleu
      Hey, guys - I'm looking for a place to tie an older 16' Ranger 40hp up to around the St Cloud area for the 2018 season where I can come and go without restrictions.  Will trailer it to other lakes sometimes.  Lake or river.  I'm disabled, so close too parking or accessible with my electric scooter would be great.  Lift not necessary.
      Thank you,
      Tony  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been really good this past week with good numbers of slot fish and a 30” walleye. We have been on the move with our houses and it is paying off.  Multiple houses producing an all day sauger bite with plenty of walleye mixed in. 20-24 feet is where we have found the most action. Glow and white/gold spoons have been the prefered color as of late. 

Our snowmobile and marked trails are in great condition.  Thirty inches of ice is common with 24 in higher current areas.

Up in Canada, limits of crappies are still being had in 30’ and deeper water.  Ultra light tackle and rod set up can make the difference some days, while other days crappies can be caught on Rip’n Raps and Jigging spoons.  Walleye action remains strong on reefs and points in 24-28 feet. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, limits of walleye and sauger are being caught between 22 and 25 feet. Presentation changes daily from deadstick to jigging but not both. Pink and white, or gold and chartreuse have had many slot fish and lost a few BIG ones.

The Canadian side of the lake has seen a lot of northern action, with the biggest closing in on 48.” Walleye are still plentiful off of reefs and points. Crappie action has been sporatic with the changing weather fronts. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye continue to be caught in 18-21 feet at the bottom of shoreline breaks.  Rattle baits and jigging spoons call fish to the holes, while a plain hook and minnow seals the deal. Perch and sauger are consistently found between 25 and 28 feet, walleye can be found there too for a good mid-day bite. The hottest bite this week was within an hour of sundown. 

Up in Canada, walleye fishing remains relatively easy, get yourself to a spot that looks like walleye structure and start reeling them in!
      Canadian crappies are still filling freezers at 28-32 feet, with small UV colored rip’n raps or a small jig and plastic.  Depth finders have proven to be a necessity with finding a pattern in the fish, whether it be rising or falling jigging action.  

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      1.22.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye fishing has been consistent between 18-21 feet. The most effective method is on the dead stick set slightly above the jigging rod. 25-28 feet is also filling buckets with a good walleye and sauger mix, even the occasional jumbo perch. Slender and Tundra spoons have been bringing fish to the house. We have also seen numerous northern pike this week with the largest being over 42.”
      Canadian walleye fishing remain excellent, especially along points and reefs. Crappie action has been hit or miss. The bite has been better in the morning with anglers limiting out in the first few hours. Fishing deeper than 28 feet is important to get good action.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• #m2
      By #m2
      Does anyone know if big pine lake mn. By perham is safe  to drive on.. I'm driving ram 1500 hemi... and r the walleyes biting...thanks....
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

The bite remains consistent on the Minnesota side where we are fishing between 26 and 28 feet, yielding good walleye, sauger and jumbo perch. The dead stick will provide action early and throughout the day. Shallower depths are worth fishing early and late for quality walleye, a majority of which are in the slot.

Up in Canada, big crappies are filling buckets via minnows, plastics and rip’n raps as well as, very light setups in 28-32 feet. Walleye fishing is outstanding near structure, either points or reefs. jig’n raps, buck shots or spoons have been productive.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• chucker1101
      These aren't campsites to bring your Ranger fiberglass or decked-out Lund into. They're better fitted for smaller 14-16 ft alum boats, something you can drag on shore. Though i'm sure you can figure out how to secure something bigger. Cliff is right, most have sandy/pebble shorelines to pull a smaller boat onto. Almost all of them are well-protected from the prevailing WSW wind. You're gonna get wakes rolling into shore from passing boats, though, as it's a pretty well traveled section of the lake.
    • brrrr
      I camped at a couple sites a few years ago.  no docks, but most of the sites had a half way decent place to put the boat in.  one had a decent log to tie to.  another I threw a couple anchors out back and was able to tie off to a couple trees to keep the boat close yet off the rocks. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I do not think that there are docks at the overnight campsites but some do have sandy shorelines. Most of the shore lunch/picnic  sites do have docks but are not overnight camping sites. Cliff
    • Getanet
      Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I have some research to do. Chucker, do you know if Hinsdale Island has a place to dock a boat ?  I'd hate to have it banging against rocks all night.
    • Rick
      The new northern pike fishing regulations, which were announced recently and go into effect on the May 12 fishing opener, have three distinct zones to address the different characteristics of pike populations in Minnesota, according to the Department of Natural Resources.

Each of the zones – north-central, northeast and south – provide protection for different sizes of pike, and there are reasons for those differences. “We’re continuing to let anglers know there are new pike regulations for those who want to keep pike on inland waters,” said Chris Kavanaugh, DNR northeast region fisheries manager. “We also want to share the thinking behind the new regulations.” North-central zone
      The north-central zone is the largest of the three zones, and here the possession limit is 10 northern pike, but only two can be longer than 26 inches; and all from 22 to 26 inches must be released. “We’re responding to angler concerns about the over-abundance of small, or hammer-handle, pike in the north-central zone,” Kavanaugh said. Through anglers keeping small fish but protecting the 22 to 26 inch pike, the objective in the north-central zone is to both reduce the abundance of small pike and allow medium size pike to grow larger. The advantages of growing larger pike are twofold. While protected these medium size pike will eat small pike, helping reduce abundance of small pike. And when they eventually grow out of the protected size range they will be a more desirable size for keeping. Southern zone
      In the southern zone, where reproduction is limited, the regulation intends to increase pike abundance while also improving the size of fish harvested. Anglers in the southern zone can keep two fish, but the minimum size is 24 inches. “The management issue in the southern zone is the opposite of what’s happening in the north-central zone,” Kavanaugh said. “With low reproduction, stocking is often necessary to provide a pike fishery in the south. Here we want to protect young pike and give them a chance to grow.” Growth rates are much faster in these southern lakes so most will reach the 24 inch keeper size in a few years. Northeastern zone
      In the northeastern zone, pike reproduction is good but these lakes do not have the high density problems of the north-central zone since they still have a nice balance of medium to large pike. Here, it makes sense to provide protection for large pike while they still exist. “The trophy pike of the Arrowhead Region have definitely made some great stories and photos over the decades,” Kavanaugh said. “But these fish grow slowly in the cold water and if too many anglers keep trophy pike here, they’ll be gone.” In the northeastern zone, anglers can keep two pike but must release all from 30 to 40 inches, with only one over 40 inches allowed in possession. Other considerations
      Anglers who want to keep pike will need to be prepared to measure them. Those planning to take advantage of the expanded bag limit on small pike should familiarize themselves with the extra cuts it takes to fillet the fish. New pike regulations do not affect border water fishing regulations or special regulations that cover individual lakes, rivers and streams. Darkhouse spearing regulations for pike differ slightly and those regulations are listed in the spearing section of the regulations booklet. For more information on the new zone regulations visit mndnr.gov/pike or contact a local area fisheries office. Contact information can be found at mndnr.gov/areas/fisheries or in the printed fishing regulations booklet. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The lingering cold weather is delaying ice-out on Minnesota lakes and rivers, which could make it difficult for DNR crews to have the 1,500 public water accesses it manages ready in time for the May 12 fishing opener. “I want Minnesotans to know that we are doing everything we can to get ready for the fishing opener,” said DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr, “but mostly what we need are warmer temperatures and sunshine.” There are approximately 3,000 public water access sites statewide, and the DNR’s Parks and Trails Division manages about half of them. “Winter weather is always a challenge to Minnesota’s public water access sites,” said Nancy Stewart, water recreation program consultant. “Because of the late ice-out this year, DNR crews will have a shorter window than usual to get boat ramps and docks ready for the May 12 fishing opener, but we will have as many of them ready as possible.” Every year, repairs are needed at hundreds of sites, because freezing temperatures and ice cause concrete to crack and buckle on the ramps. In some years, crews can get a head start on that work, even before ice-out, but this year the snow has prevented them from assessing damage, and the ramps can’t be re-leveled until the ground thaws. In the meantime, crews are busy rehabbing docks by, for example, changing bumpers and wheels as needed so that they’ll be ready to pop in when the time comes. “Even if every last dock isn’t in by the opener, there will be places to fish and boat,” said Stewart. Helpful resources on the DNR’s Public Water Access website include: A map showing where ice-out has occurred. Phone numbers for DNR Area Offices for updates. Boaters and anglers can also get their questions answered by calling the DNR Info Center: 888-646-6367 (8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Hunters are reminded that applications for bear hunting licenses are being accepted now through Friday, May 4, wherever Minnesota hunting and fishing license are sold, online at mndnr.gov/buyalicense and by telephone at 888-665-4236. A total of 3,350 licenses are available in 13 permit areas. Bear licenses cost $44 for residents and $230 for nonresidents, and there is a $5 application fee. The season is open from Saturday, Sept. 1, through Sunday, Oct. 14. Notification to lottery winners will be made by Friday, June 1. Lottery winners will receive a postcard in the mail and can check online at mndnr.gov/licenses/lotteries/index.html to see if they were drawn. The deadline to purchase licenses awarded by lottery will be Wednesday, Aug. 1. Any remaining unpurchased licenses will be available over the counter starting at noon on Monday, Aug. 6. An unlimited number of bear licenses will be sold over-the-counter for the no-quota area that includes east-central and far northwestern Minnesota. No-quota licenses are valid only in the no-quota area. Hunters with a no-quota license can harvest one bear. Bear hunting information is available on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/hunting/bear. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • chucker1101
      There are 11 sites on/around Hinsdale Island, managed by the State DNR through one of the local parks (used to be Bear Island, it now might be Soudan Mine Park). Here's a link:  http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destinations/state_parks/lake_vermilion_soudan_underground_mine/Hinsdale_map.pdf I think they're free to use, first come / first serve.  #11 is my favorite. I've heard that the ones on Hinsdale island have occasional visits from bears.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Check the lakevermilion.com site for a list of public campsites on Lake Vermilion. Cliff
    • gunner55
      We'll be making a trip in to GR again. in the next couple days. See what it looks like then.