• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Borch

Hit the lake at 12:30 am last nightand fished for 2 hours trolling cranks. Fist eye of the season for me was a beautiful 29 1/4" walleye. Caught two more, (23 and 16") before heading out.

Water temps ranged from 50-54 degrees.

Only one other boat on the lake. Gotta love it.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• JeremyCampbell

• eyeguy 54

• Tom Sawyer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fished this Morning on a area lake on the Horseshoe chain and it was a crappy kind of Day. 😁 Got out before daybreak to get setup to be in position as I found this pod aka school of fish couple days a

Got back out again today. Headed South toward the Clearwater lakes area.  Started my initial search in a basin flat, bottoming out around 30 ft deep. Didn't take long to start marking fish... but thes

My weekend report: Friday I was fortunate to fish a private body of water in southern MN with serious big fish potential including a bunch of 15-16" crappies.  I had a blast catching a bunch of c

Posted Images

Stick in Mud

We went up to Mille Lacs and did horribly on Friday night/Saturday morning, but miraculously caught 19 on Saturday afternoon and evening. Caught one here and one there at about five or six spots and then got lucky on a spot with a nice population of fish. Eight were even keepers! Today in the same spot we only got two. Go figure.

Rick G

Did horseshoe and cedar island again today. Didnt do so hot for the first few hours only I tiny eye and a couple snakes. When the clouds broke and the sun came out I decided to try for some crappies and found only a couple but did happen appon a few walleyes in very shallow water. I talked with a few people over the last two days and it seems the bite on the chain is a lot slower than it was last year for opening weekend. I know this for sure the water temp is about 10 degrees warmer than last year at this time.

willyfahey

Did anyone go out on Koronis? I'm planning on going out there this weekend. Thanks

Borch

Koronis was good in the evening up shallow either trolling/casting cranks or fishing with leeches with lighted floats.

Borch would u wanna shoot me an email at [email protected] i have a cabin on koronis and will be up thier memorial day weekend be fun to meet up maybe catch a couple fish if nothing else i had a few questions for ya

Borch

Email sent

Boxcar Wllie

Was out on Rice Saturday from 5-8:30pm. Boated 3 pike and 1 20" walleye, pitching firetiger deep diving cranks. Marked fish in 15-18 feet and was sitting in 20 feet casting parallel to the drop. Water temp was 64 degrees. Caught the Walter right at the boat, that was pretty cool to see.

weedis99

fished the mississippi tthe last few days and caught a few walleyes with jigs and lindys. caught some descent smallies also. has anybody fished big watab for walleyes. i have fished it a lot for bass, pannies, and trout but never for eyes. i hear there is big ones on there and that it maybe a night bite. i know there is big northerns, my buddy speared a 42 out there, it was fun to watch as i was with on that trip. let me know if anyone knowes about eyes on big watab.

ranger20

hey weedis there are plenty of walters on watab and they are very nice size but the only time we ever get them is at night the lake is way to clear for fishing them in the afternoon time so i would try towards evening and try out in front of the sand bar in the middle of the lake

Rick G

There are some real big walleyes in big watab but they are few and far between. Night bite has been best for me in the past.

weedis99

thanks ranger20 and riverfishingmiss. i am going to have to try it out one of these days.

• 1 month later...
Borch

Well I had a short trip on Rice lake earlier this week. Primary target was small bullheads for a flathead trip Wednesday night. But after an hour of catching walleyes and no bullheads we changed our focus. We found walleyes in multiple year classes in less than 10 feet of water pulling spinners or crankbaits during daylight hours. These were active fish in a feed mood.

Good Luck!

ranger20

hey borch what time where you out there,and there a ton of boat?

Borch

I was out there late afternoon on Monday. Only two other rigs at the access at that time and a few local lake fisherman out.

Borch

Well hit Rice again this afternoon targeting walleyes and had some luck. Was out by myself and pulling spinners on bouncers or pullign shad raps. Ended up landing 5 walleyes between 23-26" and had a couple more big fish come unbuttoned near the boat. Three fish were carbon copy 26'ers. Also a couple of small crappies, a bullhead and one pike. Best bite was again shallow and tapered off quickly once the sun hit the horizon.

Boat traffic was light and it appeared others were having some luck as well. Water is green and sufarce temps in the 78 degree range.

Rice for me too. Found the small 10-12" eyes cooperating on the windy side. Enough of a bite to keep me interested.

Borch, will you send me an e-mail?

Borch

Things were slower for us on Firday with one 21" eyes and lots of little guys caught. My brother and a friend ended up with 5 15-20" eyes. Fish were in the 5-15 ft range and either hit spinners or cranks.

I'll shoot you an email hert

Borch

Well I fished Koronis yesterday afternoon as I hadn't fished it for awhile. Took a different approach and purposely stayed away from my usual spots looking for some new ones that looked good but I usually never get around to fishing. Ended up catching around 15 eyes with most small, (12-14"). Did catch two over 20". Found walleyes from 6-22 fow and caught them on spinners, cranks, lindy rigs and slip bobbers. Walleyes were spread out on flats and a bit more concentrated on points with wind blowing in. Water is green and surface temps around 75 degrees.

Plenty of sunfish hitting the bait as well.

Good Luck!

Rick G

Thanks for the report Borch. I am going out there some time this week when I can tear myself away from the awsome smallie bite on the river.

neverenoughfish

First post on this site so sorry if I'm not in the right place.

Anyway, we are on our way up to Richmond this weekend for our (I think close to 20th)anual family vacation on the chain of lakes. I have always wanted to fish walleye at night and wondered if anyone could tell me a couple of tricks and what kind of places to look for on the lake ie:sand flats, rocks etc.?. We are staying on Horseshoe lake.

Thanks

Rick G

Welcome to Fm/Hso Neverenoughfish. For the night bite on the shoe you could either troll crankbaits or fish with a lighted float. For the crank baits I would start with a no 5 or 7 shad rap and troll along the shore lines in areas you have caught fish in previous years untill you locate active fish. For the lighted bobber bite I would ancor off the side of one of the humps and rig with a leach throwing on top the bars. If you choose to do the bobber thing you will catch a lot of catfish in various sizes along with a few eyes.

Borch

I'd start in 10-15 ft and work shallower as fish move up. These fish will often move in less than 5 feet especially after it gets dark.

• 4 weeks later...
huskie0302

I'm taking out my gf's dad out on Sat. We are going to do some sunnie fishing, all catch and release. You guys have any suggestions where to go? He wants to go to Clearwater? You think thats our best bet?

• 7 months later...
pushbutton

got out saturday evening and hooked all 3 within about 20 minutes.they hit hard and put up a good fight for cooler temps. reel was set for walleye from last fall and spun more drag from a 2lb. cat than the 4lb. eye i had on last in oct.

0327001859.jpg

0327001843.jpg

0327001907.jpg

Borch

Well there you've gone and done it now! wink

Nice fish.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great walleye action this week with numerous pike mixed in.  Walleyes are starting to gravitate to fall patterns.  Walleyes being caught in various depths 13 - 34 feet of water.  Most anglers are still drifting with spinners or trolling crankbaits, but the jig bite is picking up steam. 
      Water temps in the upper 50's and low 60's.  Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  
      Reef fishing is starting to pick up.  Jigging with a frozen shiner on or near reefs is a fall goto and things are just starting.
      September and October are excellent months to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchored up with a jig and minnow, this is a fun time of year.
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners are continuing to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far and walleyes are showing up.  Anglers are catching fish in the river.  Fall is here.
      Most walleye anglers on the river will anchor up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  Fishing is taking place from Wheeler's Point to Baudette to Birchdale.
      Fall is a great time to fish sturgeon, bass and pike on the river, although the vast majority of anglers are after walleyes.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow is effective.  Minnows on some days are starting to be preferred by the walleyes.  Try both.  
      Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto.
      Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  Some nice fish boated this week.
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• AnglerJake
      By AnglerJake
      Heading up to Garden Lake Resort Sep 16 - 24. Any reports or tips from up there? Thanks!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really strong week of walleye fishing.  
      One of the main areas to fish is still deep mud.  Basically 28 - 34 feet of water.  Various schools of walleyes move around the basin relating to different kinds of forage.  
      Big walleyes eat a lot of everything but really key in on tullibees (ciscos) who live primarily in the basin.  Other forage can be perch, perch minnows, emerald shiners, blood worms, crayfish, and the list goes on.  
      Various schools holding shallower, over rocks or sand, based on bait options in that area.  Reefs are still holding fish, normally on the sides and base where rock meets the mud.   
      Drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are still very effective for catching walleyes this week.
      As we approach mid to late September and October, the jig bite will fire back up!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes hanging out in some of the deeper holes throughout the river.  Moving up and down the river, hitting numerous spots until you find which areas have walleyes is a good method for success.
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits to cover water.  Oftentimes, walleyes won't show up on electronics if they are laying in a depression in the river bottom.  Only way to know is to fish the area.
      Bass and pike are plentiful on structure, docks and weed edges.  Hitting various "goto" spots up and down the river is a fun and normally productive day.    
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Great fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 28 - 33 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler is effective.
      Underwater points, sunken islands and neck down areas with a bit of current in 18 - 27 feet holding fish.  These areas are good areas to jig.
      Pike and muskie anglers are still finding good fish on weedy points using jerkbaits and topwater. 
      Travel via vehicle through Canada to the Angle is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW, the NW Angle, Baudette and the Rainy River at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  

• klee103
      By klee103
      How are the lakes across southern Minnesota? 
      Do they "green" up with the summer heat?
      Are there any lakes you would recommend for sunfish, crappie or perch?  
      Looking to do a day trip or 2 this fall to somewhere from Fairmont to Mankato.

Any recommendations?
      Thanks!
    • Draht
      By Draht
      www.fuyu-outdoors.com
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      What a year it has been with this drought. The Mighty Mississippi isn't so mighty anymore but doesn't stop the smallmouth from eating. Got out for a nice evening float after work and found a few quality Bronzebacks. 

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The walleye fishing remains good.  It really helps to be versatile.  It seems one day fish are set up in an area and the next they slid somewhere else.  
      There has been some good fishing in 25-29' in front of Pine Island.  When the south wind blows, the Zippel Bay and Graceton Beach area have been productive.  These fish have been in the 17-21' area and are mainly small fish and eaters with some slots thrown in.
      Still big numbers of fish in various areas of the deep mud, 28-24'.  
      Reefs are still holding some fish as well.  Fish could be on top, on the sides or relating to the deep mud just off of the edges over the mud.   
      Drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are the goto techniques for putting fish in the boat.
      Hammered gold with glow white or glow red, yellow, orange and red/white are colors doing well.  
      The top team in the AIM MN Championship on Friday and Saturday had 88.62 lbs for 10 walleyes to take first place.  Some big fish were caught despite windy conditions.   
      On the Rainy River...   The river producing a mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, pike, bass, and sturgeon.  Spinners / crawlers or trolling crankbaits are a good way to locate walleyes.  Some walleyes holding in deep holes can be jigged once you find them.  
      Bass and pike holding on structure, docks and weed edges.  Hitting various "goto" spots up and down the river is a fun and normally productive day.    
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Great fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 28 - 33 feet.  Spinners and crankbaits are effective in covering water and catching these fish as there are various pods scattered in the deep mud.
      Various structure, such as underwater points and sunken islands, are also holding some walleyes, as they normally do.  Not all walleyes in the system are keyed into the same forage.  
      Pike and muskie anglers finding fish on weedy points using jerkbaits and topwater. 
      Travel via vehicle through Canada to the Angle now open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  
      To travel up to the Angle and avoid the border crossing, vaccination cards and COVID test results, charter boat transport and float planes are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• cherokeeref
      By cherokeeref
      Wondering what water levels are compared to a normal year? Will be up early/mid September. Thx in advance.
    • chaffmj
      By chaffmj
      Took a trip out fishing to a couple of lakes guided by my friend Rob from Ely Fishing Guide Company with my son and son in-law. We caught some eater walleyes in the first lake we went to. Took a break for lunch, then hit up a small lake for rainbow trout.

• MinneapolisTransplant
      By MinneapolisTransplant
      Living in SW Minneapolis, and have gotten back into fishing after many years away (guess COVID was good for something). I mostly fish in Bde Maka Ska (formerly Calhoun) and other urban lakes because I can get to 'em and get out on the water under pure human power (not opposed to electrics or real boats, just can't afford 'em). Most times out I'll get bass or northerns... but no dang walleye, despite all the fry that DNR pours in there. In fact, I've been living in Minnesota for 3 years now, and from the BWCA to the southern lakes, I have never gotten a walleye to bite, be it leech, jig, dropshot, or crankbait. Which tells me I need to quit trying on my own and get on the water with somebody who knows what they're doing.

I'm pretty flexible about timing; can even do some weekdays if we plan in advance. Would love to meet others who fish my local lakes, but at this point, I'll happily travel to learn the mysteries of the 'eyes. If you're looking for another partner or just like to spin yarns, I'll listen and bring along some brews and gas money for your troubles.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• fishingstar
      I have two Labs that are 7 years a part. it took them less then a month to get a long. Now they are best buds.
    • SkunkedAgain
      ...and that was the worst team that they will play all season. It's a rough road ahead.
    • delcecchi
      Interesting.   Have to give the narrows more respect in the future...
    • delcecchi
      Ah the old un-named bay trick...  Got an end?   
    • pwencel
      We have 4 AKC GSP puppies left for sale that are ready for their new homes. Pedigrees Available. Great family dogs and hunting dogs. Born on 8/2/21. Call or text me for pictures or if you have any questions!.  320 808 4541
    • monstermoose78
      Finn is going to be 6 in October. Thanks the pup will be fun
    • maryjames9939
      someone provide me good information on vintage seiko watch..
    • smurfy
      👍i'll bet he is. how old is Finn??? when i brought my new lab home, my 13 year old sheltie was not a fan!!!!! with the energy that young pup had, the sheltie did a lot of hiding!!!!!🤣 its getting better!!!!!   have fun with the new pup!!!!!!!!!
    • monstermoose78
      Tomorrow is the day Hazel comes home!! I am super excited to have a second lab in the house. Finn is in for a surprise with puppy around. 
    • mtheis
      I just got back from staying up at Vermilion for a week, and I made a few notes:   The water temp was consistent at 66 degrees Monday through Saturday.  The weather was crazy wet or wildly windy, and I found my biggest walleyes (15-17's) were caught in my standard spots Monday through Wednesday.  Then a switch turned off, and I had to relocate and find new spots as my previous ones were dead for the rest of the week.  Never seen anything like that before.  After the lake calmed, and skies turned blue, I could only catch the 9-14 inchers.  The biggest I saved for fish fries, and I even scrapped up a limit to take home.   I used lead core, and I fished in water depths ranging from 20-25 ft.  I saw alot of HUGE balls of bait and tried to keep slightly above them.  I tried many different colors, and silver out produced everything and I couldn't buy a fish on my favorite color, fire tiger.  The lake appears to be less dirty this year for me.  With invasive species this may become the norm.    I found a bay that was absolutely stacked with fish.  I spent two days there, and no one was around to compete with me.  I loved it.  But it was too small for me to let out enough lead core so I tied a three way with a line counter reel and a 2 oz sinker with a 6ft leader.  That worked really well.  It came to me again, you do not need to invest in a lot of pricey equipment to get your lures down deep.  Those fish were again in 20-25 ft of water.  I hope this helps someone!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.