• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If you just want catfish then the farther north you go the bigger they kind of get. Drayton is a great place for cats over 10 pounds. A lot of fish over 20 pounds too.

I dont know where you can stay cuz we always just went up for the night or day.

Time that I like is when its hot!! Like early August. All depends on rain and that kind of stuff too and weather. Im sure someone will chip in with some better info than what I got!!! Good Luck

Other people will be able to give you better options regarding camping.

Are you looking for a little night life or do you want peace and quiet? If you don't mind some people, I'd probably go to Grand Forks. If you want less people, I'd think in between Fargo and Grand Forks or North of Grand Forks. Related to this, what kind of boat do you have? How big? I haven't fished near Drayton (yet), but that'd be a good choice. Would you consider going up North to Stu's place near Lockport? It's an unbelievable fishery up there- mind boggling in fact. If you want to stay in the US, any of the above places would be great.

As far as when, I'd think about early June and early August. But... you may get other suggestions than that. The spawn will dictate when the best time to be out will be, and there's no way to predict that now. A week after spawn is great, but if you miss the spawn by a week fishing might stink. Can you be flexible with the dates or do you need to lock in some dates early?

Answer a few of the questions I asked and we'll get you some pretty good info, I think.

Ed, can you repost the diagram that shows all of the landings on the Red.

Brian and Scoot, thanks for the quick replies.

Normally I like a little night life, but if the fishing is slow or it rains, I would probably end up hunkered down on a bar stool for three days, and I can do that around here smile. That said, I would rather be away from the crowd for this trip to really put some time into fishing.

I'd like to stay stateside, although I hear the fishing is amazing at the border. Not proud of this, but I got a DWI several years back and I am told I will likely have problems border jumping because of this... Can you fish that area and still be in MN, or is it all in Canada? Is a boat a must there?

This time around, I want to keep it as simple as possible. If I could get by without even bringing a boat, that would be best. If not, I just have a small 14' boat and 6 horse motor, but again, if I can go without it I would prefer to.

Dates are pretty flexible. I can swing a long weekend more often than not with just a day or two notice--assuming something major isn't happening at work.

Anything else I should consider? I see pics of guys on the Red with cats during the day, but they all seem to fish in boats. Is that a key to daytime cats...jumping from hole to hole in a boat? If so, I would bring it along.

Thanks, again.

pikestabber,

A couple things: 1) you do not need a boat, but I would definitely bring mine if I were you. Land access would be an issue for you- you don't know the land owners, so you may have problems. Fishing from a boat gives you a ton of flexibility that you'd miss if you were on shore. 2) If I had any place to pick for a catfishing trip, I'd go up by Stu's place. However, you can have some outstanding catfishing on the MN/ND side of the border and you don't need to go to Canada to have a great trip. Given what you said, I'd think about two sections of river- the section between Fargo and Grand Forks and the area up by Drayton. If Ed sees my request for the pic with all the landings on it he'll post it- that'll give you a better idea of your options. Drayton would probably be my first choice between those two, but if you fish the area around Hendrum, you'll probably not see another soul on the water, which is nice. It's not like you'll be playing bumper boats by Drayton either though...

If you remember to e-mail me (scootsfishing -- yahoo) once very couple weeks I can update you on the bite going on around here. Most important will be working around major rainfalls and the spawn. Nothing I can do to predict when we'll have a big, ol' gully washer, but I can keep you in the loop regarding the spawn. The 2-3 weeks before the spawn are great and about a week after the spawn is done is a riot. Those would be the times I'd focus in on. Also, cutbait is my best producer prior to spawn and frogs and hands down the best producer for me after for a while (although that can vary from year to year or day to day).

If you have any other questions, fire away.

Hey, Scoot, thanks for all the great detailed info. I will plan to bring a boat, and I appreciate your offer to keep me in the loop. I will be sure to keep in touch.

Thanks, again.

Pikestabber,

I would highly recommend bringing your boat!

As for location, I would recommend the area south of Grand Forks for several reasons. The water is easy to navigate(as easy as the river gets anyway) and there are high numbers of big fish. Drayton may have better fishing but water levels get really low(rocks,mudbars)and if you break down your boat will float a long way before you get to a town to get help.:) There won't be much boat traffic to help you either in the Drayton area either. South of GF you just end up back at the launch if you have trouble.

Day fishing is very productive for most sizes. I go in the morning straight through to sunset. 11-4 can get pretty slow but other than that there is always great fishing on some part of the river in that area. Good luck.

Still Floats, thanks. Do you recommend a certain boat launch south of Grand Forks, and how far do you have to go from there to get to fish-able waters? I know it is a river, and as such the levels vary greatly, so am I just looking for holes during the day? What month is your favorite? Bait? Just trying to get a bunch of different ideas.

Thanks!

Convent Landing is now open for use in South Fargo.

MidTown Dam Ramps, and the Moorhead MB Johnson Park ramp were colosed yet as of yesterday.

MB Johnson is usable, if they just opened up the gates....they may need a few calls to encourage them to do so. wink

They should be open soon.

The other ramps are open now here in Fargo Moorhead, so all ramps are now available for use.

The Red River is still high but fishable.

I advise you exercise caution.

Thanks Ed. Still too high, fast, and cold for me to bother, but I'm looking forward to getting out pretty soon.

I advise you exercise caution.

What does exercise caution mean? What are the biggest risks?

Thumping into wood mostly. Wood in the water and unseen submerged snags are the largest risk yet.

So eyes forward, keep alert to surface turbulence that may alert you to hazards beneath..in general...take it Cool.

Any reports on docks installed at Abercrombie, Convent, Fargo, Hilsboro?

Any data on water temperature on the Red?

Some guys are fishing the Sheyenne near my house but only pulling out little cats so far.

No dock at the Convent. I decided to put my boat in anyway. I went for a 10 minute run to make sure everything was working well, turned around and noticed via my GPS the speed of the river. Much faster than normal. The river flow is still 3x normal for this time of year. I really noticed it when I tried to trailer my boat. I bumped one of my rollers and snapped a bolt. It was not too major so I decided to go fishing since everything was working well. I backed out and gave it gas. Died right there. This is when I really noticed the speed of the river. 2.5 MPH is a lot faster when you're dead in the water. I was headed for some bushes and paddled around it to give me some time to diagnose the problem - turns out my fuel line became disconnected. A couple of pumps, some choke and I was off and running with a high heart rate.

In hind sight, a ready anchor would have been the best solution.

I went for another run, saw the storm clouds approaching and decided to trailer and head to fleet farm for parts.

It was good to get out. The high water and swift flow certainly changes the look of the river.

Wish I could have put a line in the water but the weather didn't allow it.

I would recommend launching in Grand forks by Cabelas. You will have approximately 25 river miles to the Thompson Bridge to the south. No need to go any further than that. If you go more than 3 miles south you will have gone farther than most of the causal catfisherman. There are plenty of bid deep bends along that whole stretch. Perhaps a quick google map search will show you the area you want to target.

That stretch is pretty productive the whole season but probably peaks in fall. I have best luck with steaked goldeye or suckers(as a backup) in the earlier months and frogs in the summer and fall. Feel free to send me an e-mail if you have more specific questions. [email protected]

I have best luck with steaked goldeye or suckers(as a backup) in the earlier months and frogs in the summer and fall.

Hmm - first time I have seen the term "steaked goldeye." I usually use fresh cut goldeye. How do you "steak" it?

It sounds to me from what I'm reading you will want to be in Grand Forks. For camping there is a State Campground in East Grand Forks that is steps from the nightlife and only a couple blocks from the Cabelas boat ramp.

If you are looking to do the shore fishing Grand Forks and East Grand Forks have miles of public greenway that you can experiment with. Most of it is foot or bicycle traffic only but it could produce some great shore fishing opportunities.

As for the catfishing in the daytime in my opinion it is the best time (and yes I use a boat for the record) because you can get around faster and stay on the move to find the cats rather than them find you. I hope that helps a little bit.

I only use fresh goldeye when fishing the Red. However, the way in which the bait is cut can make quite a difference on results. Many people basically cut a filet off the goldeye and then cut the filet into one inch strips. In my experience this is not the best way to target the bigger fish. With the smaller single filet pieces you will get a lot of lttle fish and stone cats that will drive you crazy and eat all your bait. Not only that but it is harder to keep the bait on with this method.

I either use a whole goldeye head or a "steaked" section of the body. I simply rest the goldeye on it's belly and cut all the way through the whole fish in 1 inch sections. When done you have 4-6 chunks(throw away the tail) that each include a section of spine,2 filet sections, and hopefully some juicy belly stuffs. I've seen bigger fish with this approach. The more traditional cut bait approach can be viewed with good photos at this link: http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1461495/Cat_Tip_of_the_Day_Cut_Bait_Tu

Still Floats - Hey - I've been doing the same - just didn't know what it was called.

Last year I was successful heading out with just a few crawlers, catching a few 10" goldeye and making my fresh bait. They sure can bleed.

Haven't been out yet around Fargo yet. Drove past the dam (don't know the name, near downtown) and it was rushing over pretty good. Still has a ways to go. Did do some scouting and found promising bank fishing spots throughout Fargo. May have to give it a whirl this week. If anyone wants to join me, drop me an e-mail duckslayer100 (at) hotmail dot com.

That's the only way to go. Don't even bother with little chunks. The salmon steak method is the best way, IMO. I do this with goldeye and sucker. Besides, I think the bones give the bait a bit more toughness, which decreases the amount of missed hits or steals.

Great! Thanks to all for the great tips and links. I appreciate all the help!

No dock at the Convent. I decided to put my boat in anyway. I went for a 10 minute run to make sure everything was working well, turned around and noticed via my GPS the speed of the river. Much faster than normal. The river flow is still 3x normal for this time of year. I really noticed it when I tried to trailer my boat. I bumped one of my rollers and snapped a bolt. It was not too major so I decided to go fishing since everything was working well. I backed out and gave it gas. Died right there. This is when I really noticed the speed of the river. 2.5 MPH is a lot faster when you're dead in the water. I was headed for some bushes and paddled around it to give me some time to diagnose the problem - turns out my fuel line became disconnected. A couple of pumps, some choke and I was off and running with a high heart rate.

In hind sight, a ready anchor would have been the best solution.

I went for another run, saw the storm clouds approaching and decided to trailer and head to fleet farm for parts.

It was good to get out. The high water and swift flow certainly changes the look of the river.

Wish I could have put a line in the water but the weather didn't allow it.

Fast water makes you plan ahead that's for sure. Anchor ready and or a "Brush Grabber" line is wise. If the unexpected...pops up....and it usually does....your covered.

As I said, use extreme caution, the water vorticity is up and things happen purdy darn quickly under those conditions.

And....watch for overhangs...they will get ya too. wink

I used to go out of the landing at Oslo Mn, A really good landing Really good size cats. Definately 10 on up with eaters. Always wanted to float the hole an camp aong the shoreline but water levels would dictate that, a guy would have to take a pretrip to see what he would get into thou. Saw lots of areas that would be great places to pitch a tent.You would certainly be on your own with little or no people around. Boar

Thanks, Boar. From the Oslo landing, can you fish pretty close to that area? In other words, I have a small boat/motor and long travel via river is not really an option. If I could fish within a few miles of any given landing, that would be best. Thoughts? Thanks for the info!

Thanks, Boar. From the Oslo landing, can you fish pretty close to that area?

Yep. A small boat won't limit you much and really is often preferable. That'd be a nice stretch for sure.

One thing to keep in mind here is that these areas aren't far apart at all. You could fish a day out of each landing (Oslo, GF, Hendrum) and get a feel for which area you like best. Then you could target your favorite of the three next time you come. Just a thought...

Good idea, thanks, Scoot. I know in the end I just need to get over there and experiment, but I like to have a sense of what works and where to go first, so thanks to you and everyone else here for filling me in. Everyone around home thinks I'm crazy to travel as much as I do to catfish (a minimum of an hour and half from where I live to get to catfish waters), but if they only knew!

Walleyes are biting on the Wild Rice in the southern valley!!!

Yup scoot is right, when I fished that area, I had no need to go any more tha a mile of landing in any direction but the closer to the landing the harder hit the snags are from others. If your interested in checking it out with a pre trip let me know be glad to help an wet a line for cats, been awhile. Boar