• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye action heating up yet in FM area? Havent been out on the red for a month or so, lotta cats in summer time but no walleye. When does it start in the fall? Had good luck during ice season but not so much from the boat. Any tips? Thanks!

The river is very low right now. This time of year I like to hit some spots with water flowing into the Red after a good rain but that doesn't look like its going to happen anytime in the near future. With the river as low as it is now I doubt I'll do much fishing this fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try hit it Tuesday afternoon. Probably wont go far from the convent in south fargo due to the low water. Thinking about just a jig and minnow. Any thoughts? Chasing walleye.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone fishing walleye in FM area lately? Found a 26 foot hole and marked alot of fish in it but no bites. Would U fish the hole or the flats/shallow areas around it? Only caught one walleye about two weeks ago, river doesnt seem that shallow if you are careful and stay in the middle. Was hoping for more action this time of year. Any thoughts? THANXS!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any recent reports (with pics maybe?) on the greenbacks north of winnipeg? Or is everyone just waiting for ice up?

boats are done now. Ice forming north of selkirk, guy on the ice at the float plane base on 2 inches of ice. The temps will be back down to the -20's by the weekend. creeks are frozen.

East side is forming ugly ice... may be unfishable this year.

• 2 weeks later...

walked on water this past monday. 5 inches of ice at CIL road, walleye thumping the jig pretty good. Nothing big, but healthy fish. Should be 7-8 inches by this weekend, been cold at night.

From what I have heard part of the lake froze over and then a north wind broke all the ice up and pushed the chunks of ice into the south basin where it refroze. This created very rough ice with some of the piles of ice being pretty high. There were reports of people being out on the east side yesterday on quads. They said it was very rough. They found 10-11in ice. From what im hearing it sounds like truck travel might be out of the question this year.

This is a pic from another forum. This is on the west side at the Chalet beach access. People are saying the east side is worse.

full-21032-27018-img_9942.jpg

I'm jealous that you're ice fishing, but I'm not jealous that you're catching fish that should be 7 to 8 inches by this weekend. How big are they now? How much will they really grow in the next 2 days anyway? wink

gringringrin LOL- aanderud, quit picking on Cam! wink He's nice enough to post with an update, so don't tease him about his miraculously fast growing fish! laugh

Cam, I knew you were talking about the ice. I figured I'd just rib ya a little. Thanks for the report.

That's too bad about the ice being all stacked up and rough. I would imagine it'll be hard to fish even with snowmobiles.

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from a trip with my dad up to the red in manitoba. fishing was pretty tough but we still managed to get some nice greens on the ice. lots of lookers not so many takers. about a foot of ice where we were fishing. most of the bigger greenbacks were suspended 10-14ft down in 22-28fow. jig and a shiner worked best. caught my fatty 25.5 on a live target. it was a fun trip with my dad. we will be back. smile

P1010630_zps43eda159.jpg

P1010627_zpsd854c95d.jpg

P1010620_zps6f651f3f.jpg

P1010618_zpsb9371c68.jpg

Congrats on a fun trip, Mike! I assume you were on the river and not on the lake, is that correct? Regardless, I'm jealous and wish I was up there...

I am trying to find a place to ice fish on the RED RIVER around the FARGO/MOORHEAD area wondering if anyone knows where to go on the red..new to this area live by lake of the woods before so that was easy.

Hi Sven,

There are lots of places to fish the Red River. However, there are lots of places to avoid. Knowing one from the other can be very difficult and very important!

First and foremost, take very safety precation: always carry ice picks, fish with a buddy, wear a life preserver when fishing a new area, have a long section of rope packed along, use a spud bar. Be careful!!!

Do a search on this topic and you'll find a ton of good info. Basically, you should be looking for "quiet" water- water that is near, but not in the current. Fishing the slack water on either end of a deeper hold is a good bet. Good areas that often have deep holes are at sharp corners and near pinchpoints (e.g., bridge). Fish in the deep holes tend to not be biters, so don't be lured into fishing for them there. Also, if you can find wood, all the better. Fishing tends to be best from an hour before sundown to later in the night (I fish from 5:00 to 10:00 PM mostly). Also, the tribs can produce well too- it's not just the Red that is good.

Again, be careful! Things froze up slowly and a little late this year- I'd guess there's a lot of shakey ice around on the rivers right now. There are definitely fishable spots that will be safe, but there are also plenty of spots that won't be. Have fun and report back!

Mostly standard walleye gear (I assume you're fishing for walleye). Fathead minnows and medium weight jiggin lures- I like buckshot rattle spoons, but live targets, chubby darters (needs to have very little current for these, but that's what you're looking for anyway), etc. Some guys put out tip ups and do well witht them- usually a leadhead jig and minnow on them.

Believe it or not, an underwater camera can be a great aid in the river in the Winter. The water is amazingly clear and you can find structure with cameras. A flasher is a huge aid and I wouldn't do it without one- some of the walleyes come in high and some come in low. Good luck!

I've been wondering if a camera would be good this year! I've never seen the water so clear. Has me itching to head out and try the hard water. Also with how low the water is, that's really going to change things up. Might actually put the odds in our favor for once.

I'm sure a camera would work great! People wouldn't believe just how clear the water is in the rivers in the Winter...

I totally agree, Tyler- low water means less travel options for the fishies. Hitting the head or tail of some holes where fish might be congregated is a good bet, and if you find 'em, they're not likely to go too far this Winter.

I'm no help on this one- I haven't been on a river yet. Like every other year, I'm spending every spare minute in the woods chasing deer with my bow and arrow until the first Sun of Jan. That'll come to an end in the next week or so, then I'll likely have a report or two for you. Anyone else been out?

just wondering if anyone has a vexlair or aqua view for sale for a decent price trying to get my wife into ice fish with me.

• 2 weeks later...

No, not yet. My next two weekends are booked up, so I'm not sure when I'll get out there. I'm assume it'll happen eventually, but who knows with how busy things seem to be these days...

North of the sewage plant is all open, I'm sure it stays that way every year, anyone ever do any casting there during the winter? For some reason I have a hard time fishing when I know it's downstream from a sewage plant...

I've never fished there in the Winter, but I know a few people who go up there and fish for pike in the Winter. In the Spring as things are thawing and warming up it can be a good place for pike and an occasional walleye.