• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

BisoNation

sometimes they just want to get you to show their bosses they are doing their job....  id' say if they went the whole day with 0 citations that they ARE doing their jobs by attrition.

if my 3 year old son is there in house or in boat, can I have 4 lines down and 2 lines out of boat?  i believe I can.

ps- crappie bite on battle lake slowed to a crawl, there was hundreds of houses on there by shoreliner, think they fished it out? haha

Chill62

Made it out this weekend again with a bunch of friends on Saturday morning.  Ice conditions at shore were great condition, ice driving around was just fine especially since I was only in 2wd.  Fished a deep hole from 6:30 till 2 pm around Dent.  Fish were active and everyone was able to land a few fish.  Fish ranged from 12-16" with average being in that 14-15" range.  Tons of people out there.  Coming off the ice the access was no longer in great condition but was still very easy to get off the water.

Fished over by perham in the afternoon for crappies hit a deep hole that usually holds good populations.  Graphed a ton but only 3-6" crappies.  Fished till graphs died, guess LX7's with a 9 amp hour rating wont run 12+ hours lol.  Access on that lake was getting very sketchy to say the least.  Everyone kept driving on good ice so the trails coming off the lake were sporadic at best.  Lots of snow on the lake and lots of slush and flooded spots on the lake.  We were throwing water with 4wd in the pickup locked in.

Fished Sunday morning again, buddy I took is worse than most 5 year olds so it was an interesting morning.  Got one around 7:15 right away.  Was trying to set his rod up and graph and hooked one in the process he gave it too much slack and lost it.  5 minutes later he's fighting one and I can hear drag flying off so I thought I went too light of gear for him, he landed an 18.5" tuilibee!  Biggest one of the weekend and ended up being his only fish.  We fished the rest of the morning and ended up with about a dozen of them.  Range was from 5" to 18.5" average being about 14" again.  Access coming off was same condition but you drive through a "Beach" on shore and the beach is getting really dug out and soft.

Unless we get tons of cold weather soon I might be done for driving on any access that gets hit by sunlight.  Sun has tons of power and I got a nasty sunburn on Saturday while hole hoping!

• Thumbs Up 3

Chill62

Sorry for the delay, I've been in Iowa for work for the past three days and came into a bigger mess than your brother in law using your bait caster!

I was only able to fish on Saturday due to work.  Weather had most of my friends hesitant on going out but three of us went out chasing tuilibee.  I rarely ever release a lake I'm fishing due to protecting that lake from all the people who internet fish BUT I will be changing it on this post.  I fished Loon Lake by Vergas on Saturday morning.  We walked out from shore on the north side since the narrows by the culvert are sketchy most of the year.  We got onto the lake by 6:30/45 and it was perfect conditions.  NO Wind! 28 degrees.  Half inch of snow on the ground.  Felt amazing!  Fish were INSTANTLY Biting!  It was awesome!  I easily caught over 20 fish, sadly lost an EASY dozen at the top of the hole!  It was a BLAST!  We ended up keeping 41 nice sized tuilibee all before 11 am.  We butterfly the tullibee to all the brine to get into the meat more and this is where we started having issues.  Of the 41 tuilibee I cleaned and yes I cleaned every single one because I was raised to not waste a fish, I was only able to salvage 12 fish.  29 of the 41 fish had a round worm/tape worm thing in the meat.  I'm not talking those dark black specks I mean 3" worms in pockets throughout the fish.  Some would only have one pocket but some would have 6-10 pockets and the pockets would have a ton of worms in them.  If you are looking for catch and release head out there have fun but if your looking to weed through 70% of your fish like we did go ahead keep them but it's a waste.

I've fished Loon Lake and Rose Lake and both have worms in them!  Did we happen to get bad fish and you could go out and not get them sure...but do you butterfly your fish and inspect every single one?  Or do you notice the worms as you go to grab a bite of smoked fish?  I'm not running the risk of keeping a fish that has worms.  If I go back to either lake I'll be doing catch and release only.

Sorry for being the Debbie Downer but just sucks.  We were soo excited because they were 41 15-17" tuilibees and only able to keep 12 of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Chill62

Was debating on trying to get out on Good Friday and decided I would stay home.  Buddy had 8" of snow at his place around DL and with 6-12" being forecasted I decided to stay home.  Buddy went out and fished from 5:30-7:50 and got 7 tuilibees.  With the weather forecasted we stayed put and waited till noon to start moving around.  Got to the lake around 2 and there was an easy foot of fresh powder on the lake.  He had to plow a path with his vehicle and I followed in line to get to the fishing spot.  Still had over 24" of ice on the lake though with a foot of fresh powder.  Got the house set up with the two vehicles blocking the wind and parked using the receiver hitches to secure down the fish house.  Got set up around 2:30 and within 5 minutes I had my first one on and sadly lost it.  We were in 45 feet of water and the fish were coming through 30-42 feet of water.  We ended up catching 4 monsters (19.5-20"), 2 huge ones (18-19") and one baby (10").  I had two personal bests with the 4 fish I caught on Saturday and I lost one after it straightened my hook.  I've never had a fish fight like that before!  People who've been following my posts know a few weeks back I got spooled and I was afraid of getting spooled again even though I put a TON of line on this time!  Was a great bite from the time we set up till 5:30, from 6-7:30 we got one fish.  Hopefully try it again next weekend.

3.31.ch.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

BTL

That's awesome. Those are some huge tullibee, congrats!

Chill62

Thanks dude.  Picture sucked but I could barely pick the fish up it was soo thick in the shoulders.  Buddy was out today and got a 15.5" at 2.10 pounds.  Think looked like a football.  I'll hopefully have the cameras out this weekend and try and see if we can get them to cooperate for a video and some better pictures!  I would not be shocked if my big ones were near 4.5 pounds.

otterman91105

That really sucks that some of the lakes have fish with worms in them. I would not eat them either if they had worms in them.

Chill62

Otterman it does suck but the only way to tell is by taking a filet knife to the fish.  Wish you could tell externally but you can't.  

slammer

Kinda quiet here.  Ive been out a number of times and have had a hard time finding anything consistent for active fish,  crappies or eyes.  Did ok this past weekend but fish were" one here and one there".  Cold front Sat. didn't help.  Looking forward to the weekend with some stable weather and a better bite.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ben Mattis

Headed to little pine the second week of June.  Usually I am there in august or september and troll with shiners or worms. Should I be jigging with shiners since i'm earlier??? Or something else?? Thanks in advance...I will glady buy ya a beet at zorbas for the advice!!

huntnfish

I am sure the presentations you've been using will work earlier in the year as well. I don't know about little pine but the lakes I've been fishing are starting to turn into the summer leech and crawler bite now. I prefer leeches over shiners because they're cheaper and heartier. 

BTL

Spent the last 2 weeks in OTC and had a great time. Mostly fished bass but caught some other stuff too. Sucks to be back home...

MVIMG_20180604_093000.jpg

IMG_20180606_120113.jpg

MVIMG_20180605_121217.jpg

IMG_20180530_221104.jpg

MVIMG_20180602_130924.jpg

MVIMG_20180528_115105.jpg

MVIMG_20180530_092700.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Chill62

Made it out Saturday for a little bit on a new to me lake by Dent.  Was seeking gills only but caught a few crappies.  Very negative bite but with all the weather activities going through can't blame them.  Jig and soft plastic is what we were throwing and landed a few but all were released chasing bigger ones for a tournament.  8.5" was our biggest one but got a few 11-12" crappies mixed into the batch.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Kettle
      Boot lake is not open to fishing.  I checked typo lake yesterday. Really sketchy right out from the access about 10 feet or so. Past that there was 4.5 inches. I did not fish just wanted to see if I got the new auger blades on correctly 
    • leech~~
      Nice Duff.  Don't you have a furs and feathers board, or you don't hunt and eat um? 🤔
    • Duffman
      Here's what I have in the man cave. I refer to it as "The BIG Board". Usually add a couple pics a year, this year I've added 7. (It's been a good year)   On a log basis, I've kept track of days fished on ice and open water, species caught, and how many different bodies of water per year. About to wrap up year 20 of doing that, usually just jot it down on the calendar at work and tally it up at years end. That log total list is on the side of  The BIG Board.          
    • mavshockeyfan
      Any news of ice conditions in the Mankato area?
    • papadarv
      Wanted a smaller compact high ah battery for early ice to run my camera. Found the Milwaukee M12 comes in a 3ah version, ¼ the weight and size of the small 12v lead acid and charges in 30 min verses 12 hours. Also the + - contacts in the battery match the male outlet plug and work with male spade lugs so connecting it to electronics doable. On line I can get a twin pack 4ah under $40. Pic is the smaller 3ah with a 5.5mm power cable. Video is my camera panner in motion with the M12's.    
    • eyeguy 54
      My 4th year in southern MN. Seams to be normal deer running around where we have been hunting.  
    • IceHawk
      Definitely would give the season a B. We were very fortunate in seeing a good number of deer. I sat a total of 4 sits during gun season and saw a total of 26 deer 6 bucks the rest does and fawns.  We went 4-5 with 3 nice bucks and doe being harvested. Would of easily filled the last tag but my brother is a trophy hunter and is very selective.  Me and my brother practice QDM and have put in a lot of food plots and minerall licks over the years and it has really paid off. . Its a lot of work but the rewards are worth it as I harvested 5 bucks in the last 5 years this year a  Nice 9 point . Looking forward to checking our trail cams soon to take note also  of our buck inventory. 
    • monstermoose78
      Where I hunt in the extreme eastern part of the arrowhead deer numbers show be low. My group of 7 guys hunted the whole season and saw 5 deer while hunting. A spike buck has been lucky as most have seen him and chose to let him walk. My dad took a 6 pointer that was chasing a doe. It’s not about killing a deer for me it’s about spending time with my family and it was a great year.    The population is where it it should be in the arrowhead. I am excited to see a possible wolf season coming again up there as it’s fun to have a wolf tag in the pocket just in case one slips up and comes out by you. My season was great would I have liked to see a few deer yepbut it was the relaxing I needed and provided me the stress relief I needed.   Taking out wolves would help the moose population so that is my stance!!!
    • monstermoose78
      Thanks for checking and the report 
    • iiccee63
      Well I went out and checked the lake Friday am. All locked up. I walked out a bit and it looked like 2 inches. It froze over even which is good. Hopefully it's 2 inches out in the middle too. More info to come!