• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

bowhuntermitch
Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2018 at 8:53 AM, bowhuntermitch said:

Fished an Ottertail hump on Sunday in 24-25ft of water. Got out there at around 9am, had a few walleyes swing and miss at my deadstick w/fathead early on only to  lose interest and swim out to deeper water.

Couple 10-11" perch. Had a sturgeon swim through, guessing it was 40-50" (tough to tell on the camera). Made my day, and also got a video of it.

From 11-2 I only saw small perch come through. 2-4:30 I had walleyes all over me, but couldn't get them to bite on a deadstick, or jigging. Switched colors, lures, tried heads, full minnows, dorsal hooking, lip hooking, laying the minnow on the bottom, everything. They were interested but just had a case of lock jaw. 

All in all, a great day. I bet I saw close to 40 walleyes swim through. A few decent sized ones (guessing 20ish") but most being that 12-14". I'll be back out this Sunday, and hopefully with the "warm up" they'll be more aggressive and bite! 

Yes, wheelhouses and pickups are all over the place. 15-17" of ice where I was at. NE access in decent shape yet. 

Could literally say the same thing for yesterday, 1/7. Sat from 8am to 4:30. Tallied 52 walleyes seen on camera. Caught 2. A few decent perch. 3 sturgeon came through as well. 

Is ottertail known for a walleye nightbite? 

Edited by bowhuntermitch

ISUGAK

fisherman of ottertail co.  I will traveling up on Wednesday, planning on fishing Thursday to Sunday.  With the weather front coming through at that time, fishing will not be ideal.  Planning on fishing Donald, Rush, and Long/Portage.  Any other spots worth checking into, Ottertail?  Let a guy know,  tight lines boys

StarShooter

What fish are you targeting? If walleyes I would try Ottertail Lake.

ISUGAK

targeting anything and everything

BisoNation
On 1/8/2018 at 10:22 AM, bowhuntermitch said:

Could literally say the same thing for yesterday, 1/7. Sat from 8am to 4:30. Tallied 52 walleyes seen on camera. Caught 2. A few decent perch. 3 sturgeon came through as well. 

Is ottertail known for a walleye nightbite? 

I have a perm on ottertail west side... we don't even bother fishing until 430-6pm .  That's it!!! 

I havent see this many house on ottertail in years, im wondering what impact that will have on spring/summer fishing???

(mon.tues it was so warm out, but could only get 1 or 2 a night to keep dangit!

Chill62

Got out this weekend on Saturday night and Sunday morning around perham.  Saturday night we landed a few crappies with biggest one being 12".  Minnows were a waste of time again and bite was definitely on a wax worm suspended for the crappies.  Tried a #3 Rippin Rap with no luck.

Sunday went back out to the house at 7 am and had marks instantly.  Lost 3-4 Huge crappies two were gracious enough to swim by the hole after spitting the hook.  The three biggest were 13.75", 13.5", and 12.75".  The snow was just starting when I got out to the house and when it was time to come to shore I couldn't see shore at 10:30/11.  I had Christmas to get to otherwise I'd have stayed on the ice.  Fish were there when I started the graph and they were there when I shut the graph off.

busse3775

Fished Ottertail Saturday and Sunday morning on a shoreline break. Saturday morning they wanted the dead stick with a shiner and we caught 6. On Sunday morning we caught 5 and 4 of them came on jigging spoons. The morning bite seems to be a very short window from 7:30am-8:00am.

Chill62

Moved house on Friday night in the dark.  Got holes drilled and let aired out.  Came back out after supper to fish for crappies.  Only small ones but had some action.  Got up early on Saturday and tried chasing tuilibee's and struck out.  Graphed a few but not a bite.  Switched back to the house around 8:30/9.  Buddies were near the house and had one crappie in the bucket.  Five of us fished till 11:30 without a crappie being bigger than 9".  Went back out after lunch fished till supper and nothing.  Came out again after supper got a 14" and 12.5" in 5 minutes and not a fish after that.  Sunday fished from 7 am till 11 nothing bigger than a 8" crappie. 

Fished 3 hours Friday, 12 hours Saturday, 4.5 hours Sunday with only 2 crappies over 10".  Pretty sad but heard a ton of poor reports all over the area.

BisoNation

Ottertail is DEAD... last 2 times out   0 zilch nada.

anything happening out there?

have we fished out this lake this winter?  its the most houses ive ever seen out there in my lifetime (no snow, better rigs.. etc)

Edited by BisoNation

BisoNation

out sunday, only 2 Walleyes  15 inchers.  13 feet of water at sunset.  Fatheads.

pretty slim pickings out there ..  i think its fished out for the winter :)

Chill62

Fished for crappies Friday night had 3-4 6" crappies bite.  Went out again Saturday morning and caught a 13" instantly when I got there and that was it.  Fished a lake by DL during the afternoon and nailed the big gills.  Fished again Sunday morning and caught again one big crappie.  Got fed up with the neighbors blaring music and strobe lights so moved to the house.  Girlfriends uncle says its a crappie spot but looks like a walleye spot to me.  Tried crappie jigs with shiners down on rattle reels.  We fished from 11-4:30 and caught 3 perch.  Had a few huge marks chase me around but nothing bit.  Story of my life lol.

BisoNation

why did i see trucks driving out on a tuesday night at 2am on a small lake by battle lake?   so weird.. hmm

BisoNation

anyone know how Battle Lake is doing right by Shoreliner?  there is easily 100 houses right there.. just curious.

Huntinfool

might be some left overs from the fishing derby on Saturday

busse3775

Fished Ottertail Saturday evening without much luck. Was fishing a mid-lake hump in 28' and caught several small walleyes and one keeper. Had a nice one get off while jigging then another one on a sucker minnow that felt like a good fish. 

IceHawk

Heading up that way tomorrow on a pan fish Beast hunt hope to have a report when I get back. 

• Like 1

Chill62

Moved the perm house on Big Pine on Monday morning.  Saw a big group had set up 50 yards from me so I thought I would be nice when I went out to the house to go around them since they were parked on the trail leading to my house...bad idea #1 of the day.  Snow is deep and I got hung up with 3/4 ton pickup.  After digging and rocking for about 20 minutes I finally got free. Had an audience of 4 drinking and smoking watching me as I dug.  Got the fish house up and off I go just to get stuck again.  Another 40 minutes trying to get it out with the audience members watching.  Got out and when I got moving I said screw it for driving around them and if you are going to be stupid enough to park on the road I'll drive by within 10 feet of you with my house.  Got set up in a deep hole started drilling holes and I can't reach through without an extension...got that fixed holes drilled start the heater now I can finally relax...I was wrong!  Wires connecting to the battery were broken, no clue how that happened so off for parts to fix that.  Gather every tool and accessory I might need because I'm tired of running back and forth and the graph is LIT UP with fish!  Catch 4-5 quickly all 5-7" crappies.  Start working on lights and fans as schools came in and out of the area.  Almost done and my wire crimper slips out of my hand down the hole it goes!  Rod was thankfully already down the hole and I started making circles trying to grab the wire crimper and wouldn't you know it I got it!  I was shocked as heck I caught it as it was falling with a small jig lol.  Get lights fixed everything working good in the house clean up my mess to finally start fishing.  We didn't catch a single thing the rest of the dang afternoon!  Highlight of my day was catching the wire crimper lol.  Tough bite but with the weather being so extreme I can't blame the fish.  

• Haha 1

IceHawk

Great Reports Chill like the detailed reports. Have to hook up sometime I fish that area quite often. Shoot me a Pm sometime. There definitely is some snow to deal with up there. Not bad but those hard drifts wow. 

Wanderer

@Chill62

Wow, what a day! :cry:

Chill62
13 hours ago, Wanderer said:

@Chill62

Wow, what a day! :cry:

I was ready to start drinking at 11 lol  I'm hoping to get out this weekend just nervous of the snow on Sunday since I'll be in the cities on Saturday for a Wild game.

hoppe56307

@Chill62

I thought I was the only one who had luck like that.

Chill62

I'm glad I could produce a lot of laughter on my day I had lol.  I'm not excited about how much snow is on the ice right now and they are talking more tonight and more on Saturday.  Hoping I can get out chasing tuilibee's in the mornings.

Chill62

Went tuilibee fishing in the area on Saturday morning graphed a ton but only had a few bite and only a 3 hooked up.  I landed a 19" one right away then instantly afterwards I hooked a big one!  Fought it for the longest time and then I heard a huge SNAP!  Looked at my rod the fish SPOOLED ME!!!  Never has happened before.  Snow was extremely deep and it sucked getting out there.

Sunday we went out to big pine to get our fish house off the lake.  The roads were flooding and getting worse as the day went on.  Took a lot of plowing and pushing snow to get to the house which is odd because I was hauling snow in to bank the house up prior to that point.  Then coming off the lake I had to gun it to get it off the ice.  People were getting stuck all over the lake and so many people are thinking they can just go anywhere they want and that's not the case out there.  Visibility sucks because you can't see the old roads and then you get sucked into the shoulders and snow banks if you are not careful.  If you have a house out there hopefully there isn't an open hole around you or your house may be flooded.

BisoNation

question.  had game warden swing by, it was slow, so i was jigging a 2 rods back and forth trying different lures and had a sucker on a rattle reel.

there's no law about me mixing back and forth with rods is there?   he didnt like my answer, but he was nice enough not to give me a ticket...  i said 0 fish times 17 lines is still 0 fish..  (it was slow that day)

Chill62

I got this same issue with an USFW officer one day. 

You have multiple rods out how do I know you are not running multiple rods and just reeled one up before I came into the fish house?

As I told him you didn't see me using multiple rods and the last time I checked there wasn't a possession limit on the number of rods that a person can bring with them fishing.  Second I told him do you go hunting with only one bullet when you only have one tag?  He got huffy and puffy with me and was telling me that he thought I was breaking the law.  I told him after about 20 minutes of this to either write me a ticket and we can fight it in court or don't write a ticket, either way you are now no longer invited in my fish house and I want to get back to fishing instead of arguing with you.  He promptly left the house.