• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Minnesota River Fishing Report

Papa Grump

48-49 in the main channel last Sunday , probably low 50's after today

DTro

It was 55 yesterday, this rain will cool it off a bit though I'm sure.

NKLCOLT1911

came up more than a bit.

dan z

Had a touch over 54° last night. And some activity on the clicker.

clayton08

Had some clicker activity yesterday also. 2 landed and one hog got off. This one was 39by22 full-29588-47565-kitty9983598609_n.jpg

full-29588-47566-catfish2882136735_n.jpg

pikerliker

Nice fish! How is it getting around on the river now?

snagfinder

Getting around is great if you can get on. Only place around BP to get on is Jordan.

MattL

A buddy and I took advantage of the open water the last couple days and got out in the boat. We got a mixed bag of walleyes/saugers ranging from little guys up to about 26". Vertically jigging minnows in 10-22' did it for us. Here are a few of the bigger fish..

full-22671-52024-img_20141226_182328.jpg

full-22671-52025-img_20141227_170802.jpg

full-22671-52026-img_20141227_170828.jpg

pikerliker

Nice fish Matt and way to take advantage of the warm weather! If life gives you lemons make lemonade as they say wink

Fever

So, I have a couple things to rant about..... Please be patient and don't judge too much, as I typically don't complain too much about much.

Anyway, I've been ice fishing the Mn River now for around 6-7 seasons. I made the switch from area lakes to the river for a few reasons. one of them was to get away from the crowds. The others were the challenge, the risk, the excitement, and of course the quality of a certain species of fish found there. I've had some luck and have had some struggles over the years. I'm cool with that and see the downs as being part of it all. Anyway, recently, I've had a little success, not alot, a little. And, I've been quite happy about it. To my point - Now... Outdoor news publishes a few lines about some fish potentially biting on a fairly accessible area of the Mn river that I've been fishing steady now for 4 seasons. Monday afternoon - there was around 2+ dozen people out there - half of them had NO CLUE what they were doing, and I've never seen more than 12-14 total there, ever. There was litter / garbage by the landing and in the parking area, and basically, imo, way too much pressure than the spot could possibly handle. Outdoor news really is the death sentence for smaller isolated fisheries. I wish they'd realize the impact they have. There are a lot of people that read that publication that are too lazy or too otherwise uninformed to find fishing spots on their own. I personally wish that segment of that publication would end as it does more damage than good.

Also to rant on... Some dude backs his car down the landing, and unloads it - then leaves it there while he goes out and fishes. Basically blocking all people from backing down to unload or load next to the ice. I cant wrap my head around that approach.... Next time I see that, I'm backing down and blocking him in and he'll just have to wait till I'm good and ready to leave. Common sense just isn't as common as I think it used to be.

There are some sketchy people (mainly from a small town located on hwy 169) fishing around that spot. I had a spud bar that I dropped while loading up on New Years Eve (It was WAY cold and I think my brain started to freeze a bit during the process of loading up). I remembered after about 2 miles down the road, flipped a u turn, and was back to landing after only 3-4 min. There was no spud bar (just the imprint of it in the snow) and a white pickup with a topper and a very recognizable sticker on the back drivers side window was pulling out. He saw me and instead of stopping or slowing to ask if it was my spud bar I came back for - he sped up and squealed out of landing parking area. Needless to say, if and when I see that white truck with the topper & sticker parked there again, he'll need to call AAA in order to get home.

Rant over

Thanks & carry on...

Willy

Well you seem like a pleasant gentleman!! crazy

I hear ya on the pressure, but it isn't just the river, it is everywhere. Ice fishing has exploded in the last 5 years. Just something we have to deal with.

I'd be careful about talking tough like you're going to wreck somebody's equipement, etc though, especially online. There is no way to be sure that was the guy that took your chisel.

rbs

Happens around here on the river in the summer also, but just because you have been fishing this spot for 6-7 seasons doesn't mean you can't find another spot that you can fish without anyone there. The river has tons of spots like you are talking about. Might even find a better spot...

Fever

Hey man, I started my post by asking us not to judge too much. Honestly I am a very pleasant person. High school bio teacher and big time advocate of doing the right thing. I was steamed up about a few things and just had to vent. I would actually never act on what I commented on. Just blowing off steam as some people really get under my skin. I know the guy that drove off with my spud bar knew it was mine. No doubt. I feel sorry for him actually. If he needed it that bad - so be it. I have an extra. As far as the guy with the car that backs down and parks. I will at least say something next time because maybe he just doesn't know.

I know all about the finding other spots. I started icefishing the river about 9 yrs ago before a now popular spot by New Ulm got popular. Then found another spot a few miles west and it was awesome. 2 years later, I moved again because of people crowding in. Seems it's just how it goes.

Did manage 2 fat pigs this past weekend in my normal area. Cold temps kept the crowds home.

Roscoe010

I was walking along the river in Jordan yesterday and saw two different sets of 4 wheeler tracks that were towing a portable shack downriver. They had drilled about 10 holes across the river to check ice thickness. I walked about 1.5 miles downstream and still saw those 4 wheeler tracks. I've always thought that ice fishing on rivers was very dangerous and I have always stayed off river ice except for near the shore. I wonder how safe it really is, but obviously depends on ice thickness. Anyone know what kind of fish you could target in winter in that area?

FshBloodRiverMud

Be VERY CAREFUL on the river in the winter. Ice thickness can vary from 24" to skim ice in a matter of 10 feet!!!

You don't get a chance to fall through the MN RIVER ice more than once.

Know the river current.

Check thickness constantly.

Know that it changes with flow.

It's darn risky. Certainly can be done. Just know your risks and be prepared for them.

pikeandchester

Finally got out fishing, been a busy summer at work. Spent Saturday and today in the Mankato area. Amazing to show up at a boat ramp on Labor Day weekend and be the only person at the launch! Caught a lot of sheep head , a bunch of small channel cats and 3 carp, nothing to brag about but action all day. My boy’s first river trip and he loved it!3E2BA716-0086-40EA-AC40-2CEC198BF837.thumb.jpeg.82d648323bd5b6f33f01659c4008abe5.jpeg

EB85A5CC-8A21-402E-B5EF-0A6D2BDD2D78.jpeg

2EECB7C9-BB64-48E3-872E-1B9360D751FB.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1