• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

McGregor-Aitkin-Crosby-Deerwood Area fishing reports

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palisade1kid

• knoppers

• Born2Fish

• Crappie2760

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aitkin area - lots of snow!  Shocker, right?  Never really measured the ice but I doubt it’s over 20 inches thick with maybe 16 inches of snow on top.  And slush happens....  Bring a snowmobile if you

From this past weekend in the Brainerd/Crosslake area...found the panfish on the weedlines or just out from them in the 10-16' of water range and used all sorts of methods but the best had to be 2.5"

family cabin on Ripple over that way, a good lake too...   sure looks like a good time for ya!!!!  👍

Posted Images

getinked3

Any tips for a mid august trip to Big Sandy? Haven't fished the lake in almost 20 years. I've been studying my lake maps already, just wondering if there are any must visit area's of the lake.

• 4 weeks later...
BucksnDucks

I've been pickn up 4-6 walleyes each evening trolling raps and crawler spinner harness rigs on the edges of the weedline. After dark I havent been able to stay on the water, the skeeters have been nuts.

• 2 weeks later...
fishbock

Brother caught a 20 inch walleye last weekend which was the 2nd biggest ive seen on the lake, anyone catch any eyes much bigger than that on Big Sandy? Theres gotta be some big ones on the lake.

• 3 weeks later...

I caught a 22" about 2 months ago. This weekend though we found a approx 26" washed up on shore.

• 2 weeks later...
getinked3

Been waiting all summer for this trip up to BSL, 5 more days and I will finally be on the water... pretty excited to see what the lake has to offer. After reading through some of the earlier posts, I just wanted to say to some of you that seem to be the "year round fishers of BSL" Thanks for all the tips and pics that are up, and that I will be as respectful to your lake as I would hope you would be on mine... C.P.R. the whole week.

palisade1kid

Good luck and enjoy the land of whoooooooo. At least that's what all of the tubers are screaming.....whoooooo.

taking the family to visit friends on Minnewawa this weekend. Any tips on where to catch some fish this time of year? I have never fished this lake. Species doesn't really matter. They would be happy with anything. any advice would be greatly appeciated.

tony

• 2 weeks later...

I was across the highway all last week on Big Sandy. SPOONS! Thats all I have to say on that one... live bait wasn't working spinners weren't shiny enough.... Started throwing the five of Diamonds and the Northerns started jumping in the boat...(then right back off of course) Made the mistake of handing the Five of Diamonds over to my Dad who proceeded to bring in a Nice 12 pound 36" (pictures to come).

palisade1kid

I was across the highway all last week on Big Sandy. SPOONS! Thats all I have to say on that one... live bait wasn't working spinners weren't shiny enough.... Started throwing the five of Diamonds and the Northerns started jumping in the boat...(then right back off of course) Made the mistake of handing the Five of Diamonds over to my Dad who proceeded to bring in a Nice 12 pound 36" (pictures to come).

Nice report!

Was up this weekend and ended up getting a few eyes and a few crappies. They eyes all came in about 7-12 fow. We trolled lindy rigs for about 3-4 hours on sunday and got about 6 in the boat. Nothing huge, just had some fun. Crappies seemed to be very sporadic. Caught them on and off along with a LOT of rock bass.

• 3 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Has anyone been on the fresh ice yet this year? are they biting?

• 3 months later...
Agent Andy

How is the ice on BSL? We are planning our first trip there for the year this Saturday. Do we need to bring wheeler on snowmobile???

How's the entrance to BSL? Are there any spots that you know of to watch out for?

Deer_Assassin

The enterance near big sand bar is fine,as of Friday. Theres a ice ridge right next to it. It would be hard to pull a trailer out there,but my dually went around it just fine. Never went on any of the other launches.

fishuhalik

Any idea if a corolla would have any problems getting around on Sandy? Heading up on Saturday

dougr1969

I will be there tomorrow morning and will post tomorrow evening on the landings and the fishing.

Cyberfish

Hi Doug, I may be coming up this weekend, would like to fish w you again! laugh If the bite is slow, I might be up for another 40 miles north where I been getting lots of nice sunfish

• 3 weeks later...
Finlander

Going to Aitken to attend a wedding this weekend and I was wondering if there are any lakes open up there to fish for panfish? blush

Not sure which lake your targeting, but by this weekend some small ponds should be open.

West of town the ice looks real dark and one or two more sunny days should do it. The larger lakes may take some more time.

I was down by Farm Island on Monday, and it was still ice covered. I'll drive past it tomorrow and post an update.

The last 3 days have been very sunny and warm up here. Cedar lake still has quite a bit of ice. I doubt that the bigger lakes will be open by this weekend, but next weekend they should all be open.

I was hoping to put the dock in this weekend (Gun Lake) and would be interested to hear if things are going to be on schedule for this weekend?

crappie todd

Korns, did yu do any ice fishing Gun this winter.? This is the 1st year in 21 years I didn't make it up there for ice fishing.

My journal shows April 25th to be about average ice out. except last year when it was out early April.

The lake level was up when I was there last in October. I wonder where its at this spring.

Todd,

I made it up there only once this year (I'm working fulltime and going to school fulltime, so don't have much available time).

Gun historically has ice out around April 15th, at least that is what I have seen over the past 30 years.

Farm Island still has a lot of ice. It has melted away from the shoreline, but still looks strong after about 20 feet from shore. The weather this weekend will not help melting much. A few of the small ponds west of town on HWY 210 have opened up.

knoppers

gun lake, and the lakes near it are all ice covered still as of this afternoon. turner lake towards mcgregor was open. I just hope the ice is off fleming by next thursday, planning on putting the dock and pontoon in then.

keep any updates coming in, thanks.

Hi all, I was thinking of running up to the hunting shack this weekend and getting the boat out of storage. I'm near Lawler there by Mcgregor, any lakes open yet?

Just want to put the boat in and make sure it runs and all that, might as well wet a line and catch a sunny while i'm there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  With water temps dropping, some beautiful walleyes caught this week.  Walleyes being targeted using three methods, drifting or slow trolling crawler harnesses, trolling crankbaits and vertical jigging.  Walleyes are located in various areas of the lake, deep mud, shallow water adjacent shorelines and deep water reefs.   As a rule, the larger walleyes have been over deep mud and deep structure.  As fall progresses, walleyes will start getting schooled up in key areas along the south shore, in many cases relating to shiner runs. 
      On the Rainy River...   Larger schools of shiners showing up in the river this week.  Shiners showing up under dock lights at night and on the sonar of anglers in Four Mile Bay and the mouth of the river.  Nice walleyes caught in the river this past week, but not the big numbers yet.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners.  Trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses covering water is still effective. Sturgeon activity increased this past week as well.  Various feeding windows throughout the day.  Find a deep hole using a sturgeon rig (2-4 ounce no roll sinker with 18" 60 lb test snell with a circle hook) loaded with crawlers and/or shiners.   
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Good numbers of walleyes caught this week up at the Angle.  Walleyes in 10 - 25' being caught with spinners / crawlers or minnows and trolling crankbaits with some jigging activity on structure beginning as the waters cool.  Muskies and big pike hitting spinners in bays and off of rocky points.  Smallmouth bass on rock structure in 5-15'.  Some big crappies and jumbo perch in the mix week as well. 

• RedSunset
      By RedSunset
      Is anyone out there getting tired of all these fishing tournaments?  Lake Vermilion just came off an August with way too much Bass tournament pressure.  Several folks are really concerned about what all that pressure is doing to our fish populations.  The week of August, first week of Sept. there was a 3 day B.A.S.S. event.  There was pre fishing all week then the 3 day event.  It looked like a swarm of locusts out here on the Lake.  People who live on the lake and people who came up for vacation to fish bass could hardly find a place to fish.  B.A.S.S does not practice true catch and release or Catch Record Release.  There practice is to catch hold in live well,  parade across a stage, hold the fish in a tank, releasing them somewhere in the lake.  The mortality must be quite high.  Besides the DNR is not monitoring how the fish are handled or where they are released.  Both are regulated in the Tournament guidelines for Lake Vermilion. Also those fish are displaced from their normal habitat.  Many residents on Lake Vermilion are complaining.  There are just too many fishing tournaments. Too much pre fishing.  Too often.  Time for the DNR and MN legislators to take a new look at the statutes governing them.
    • jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      28 here this morning.
      Ice fishin will be here before you know it. LOL
      Might even get here before deer huntin. lol
      Jim
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of walleyes caught this week on Lake of the Woods.  For many of the AIM tournament anglers, a lot of huge walleyes were caught this week.   Charter boats and guides doing a nice job of finding good schools of eater walleyes as well as the slots and trophies.  At times, eaters might be in a different location vs the big walleyes.  Walleyes are being caught in 14 - 36' of water.  Two main patterns, crawler harnesses and crankbaits.  Best spinner colors, hammered gold, pink, glow white, glow red or orange.  Shiny or brighter colors are good starts for crankbaits.  It is important to get cranks down to the fish.  In deeper water, downriggers, lead core line, snap weights and a 4-5 ounce bottom bouncer will all do the trick.
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes are scattered on flats and along breaks.  Trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses covering water is effective.  Anglers reporting a mixed bag of fish.  Sturgeon activity has picked up.  Target deep holes with sturgeon rigs and crawlers or frozen emerald shiners.  Smallmouth bass and pike continue to be active around current breaks, rocky areas and in bays.  There are 42 miles of navigable river from Wheeler's Point to Birchdale.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleye fishing continues to be very good up at the Angle.  Good numbers of fish living around Four Blocks and Little Oak Island.  Also good numbers of fish over the mud north and east of Little Oak Island.  Watch your electronics, scattered schools in many locations.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both are producing.  Again, some big pike caught this week by walleye anglers.  Some muskie action this week on topwater.  Smallmouth bass on rocks in 5-15'.  

• austin123456
      By austin123456
      Will be up in the sawbill area this weekend any info on any of these lakes spots colors techniques I would appreciate any info 
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great walleye fishing this week.   Different schools of fish around the lake being caught in 14 - 36' of water.  Trust your electronics.  Two strong patterns, pulling crawler harnesses and trolling crankbaits.  Covering water and moving is important.  Best spinner colors, hammered gold, pink, glow white, glow red or orange.  Mix up crankbaits until you get size, shape and colors dialed in.  2.2 - 2.8 a good range for speed.  Shiny or brighter colors are good starts.  Some schools are active, some inactive.  Different feeding windows throughout the day.  
      On the Rainy River...   Summer patterns continue.  "Resident" walleyes are scattered on flats and along breaks.  Trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses this time of year to cover water is effective.  Anglers reporting a mixed bag of fish.  Target sturgeon in deep holes with sturgeon rigs and crawlers or frozen emerald shiners.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and in bays. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle via boat.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Excellent walleye fishing this week.  Various schools of walleyes throughout the Angle.  Some nice fish around Four Blocks and Little Oak Island.  Other fish over mud in "no man's land" north and east of Little Oak Island.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both are producing good numbers of fish.  Again, some big pike caught this week by walleye anglers.  When targeting pike and muskies, casting bays and trolling rocky point areas will produce.  Smallmouth bass on rocks in 5-15'. 

• lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Hey guys! Some buddy's and I usually make the trip up to the Sioux Narrows of Lake of the Woods in June. This year with the border being closed, we went up to Lake Vermilion instead. It was our first time being on the lake. We caught quality fish of every species. Video linked below! 

• Mkregness
      By Mkregness
      Does anybody have any experience with Wilson lake? 
      It got good reports on the DNR survey but I’ve never fished it.
      looking for walleye in northerns.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.