• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I thought the was T.H.E. JIG for a second. No meat required! smile

Can't wait to hit the lake tonite for some of those crappies!

Fished a small lake north of Nashwauk for the Minnesota Opener. Fished alone but was quite busy in catching a real variety. full-130-8639-dscf4128.jpg

full-130-8640-dscf4115.jpg

full-130-8641-dscf4126.jpg

full-130-8642-dscf4116.jpg

full-130-8643-dscf4117.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went after some panfish, again, last night and found fish but it was SLOW fishing. Water temp was recorded at 69º on this small lake. Best bait for me was a Northland Slurpie "Mini Panfish Tube" under a bobber. full-130-9066-dscf4172.jpg

Made it out on Pokegama a few times for short stints over this past holiday weekend. First stint was an evening bite. Hit the river opening for a bit, one perch, nothing else. Then fished drumbeater for a while, nada. Ended at the causeway. Caught a nice 21" eye, had another half way up, and missed 3 others. All were very light bites. Jig and shiner.

Next stint, we fished kings bay over 2 hrs in the afternoon. We caught a hodge podge of largemouth, smallmouth, pike and bluegills. Nothing huge but a few decent ones. All caught on stick baits.

Last stint, just one hour at dusk. Decided on the causeway again. This time, we were not alone. Lots of boats out. We caught 8 pike, no walleyes. Saw two other eyes boated.

Water temps were 54 on the main lake, 58 in the bays.

Won't be back for a couple of weeks. Good luck and Happy Memorial Day.

Thanks Seabass, I was wondering how things were going over there. Think I'll wait and let it warm up a tad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The shallow water walleye bite 7 to 12 feet is still going strong on area lakes, Big Winnie, Bowstring, Sand, & Big Island,They have all been very good this past week. I expect it to continue through out the next week or so. Jig and Shiner are still the preferred presentation.

Water temps are in the mid 60's which means the it's time for the pan fish to spawn. look for crappies around pencil reeds and rocks. Tossing spinner bait have been effective presentation. Bass action also has been

very good on area lakes.

by Charlie Worrath.

Many area lakes (Swan, Trout, Pokegama, etc.) are now offering good walleye fishing and kicking out some very nice fish. It has started.

I leave for Pokie in 4 hrs. I will be up there for the next 5 days, but won't be able to fish too much until Sunday. We'll be in a black Pro V with 200 yammie if anyone wants to say hello.

Started on Wabana today and the perch really got in the way of our walleye fishing (eating crawlers) so we did a little panfishing. Bluegills, full of eggs, were caught and released in 16-18' of water.full-130-9735-dscf4270.jpg

full-130-9736-dscf4273.jpg

full-130-9737-dscf4274.jpg

Then we packed up and headed to Trout Lake and found fishing to be just as tough. We did manage a walleye and some nice gills. All released. Looks like it will be weiners again tonight. frownfull-130-9738-dscf4276.jpg

full-130-9739-dscf4277.jpg

full-130-9740-dscf4281.jpg

Fished Pokie today from 11:00 to 8:00, lots of perch, and six nice eyes. All eyes bit very light. Nothing on spinners, all rigging. I know spinners were working for others.

What depth's were you targeting the walleyes on Pokie? I am headed up this weekend for some eyes'. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Most major walleye waters in the Grand Rapids area are now producing very nicely, with large fish as well. Here's a pic of one of my guide trips. In the photo are Patsy & David Harris of Florida, who had never caught a walleye before. Looks like they can cross that off the list!full-130-10425-dscf4358.jpg

Made it out with my uncle and cousins this past weekend. Pike and walleyes were active. 4 eyes in the boat on Friday night from 10 - 12:30. Had two others halfway up. Saturday, caught 8 pike trolling shad raps during the afternoon. Saturday night, 4 more eyes from 9:30 - 12:30 including two 27", a 23" and a 17".

All walleyes were caught trolling. Rapala originals and shad raps, Salmo Hornets.

• 2 weeks later...

Crappie fishing has been good, when hitting the lakes toward evening. It's the perfect game for anyone working a day-shift job like myself. Leaving home around 6 pm and fishing for a couple of hours, working small baits along the weedlines, has worked well for us. We try to hit a different lake on each trip, just for the fun of it. No big crappies, just "eaters", and the occasional nice pike.full-130-10753-dscf4415.jpg

full-130-10754-dscf4417.jpg

Anything biting on Sand lake? I've never fished the lake before and my in-laws will be up there in two weeks. Thanks.

My son and I were fishing the GR area today and hit several small bodys of water and cleaned up on the pannies caught lots of eater sized sunnies on each lake and found some nice size crappies on one of the lakes as well

The first lake I was on I havent been on for twenty years and WOW what progess changes I remember like 7-8 cabins on this lake now its loaded along with a nice concrete landing it probably had the smallest sunnies of any lake we hit and they used to be pigs that come outtsa there.

Thanks for the reports guys keep them coming

• 2 weeks later...

Up on Pokey All week in a Alumacraft Phamtom with a 80 hp Give a Yell if up there i might need a Tip!!! Ryan

I would like to fish bowstring today or tonight wondering what anbody knows about it please and thankyou

Hey proguide1825 and welcome to the HSO family

I havent been on bowstring this year yet but I have had my best luck pullin blades and crawlers around the edges of the stucture I wish I could help you out a bit more. hopefully some of the guys will chime in with there knowledge of the lake

good luck

• 3 months later...

Ice is shaping up just beautifully. If the snow stays away and it keeps getting cold, we're shaping up for a GREAT winter of ice fishing. Blake Liend and I have been on four different lakes so far and used snowmobiles on the last two (yesterday). Fishing smaller lakes, we've found anywhere from 4-7" two weeks ago and as much as 10" yesterday. Fishing has been pretty good too!full-130-14761-img_0225.jpg

full-130-14762-img_0227.jpg

Great, great ice but not really enough for these full-size trucks and wheel-houses, especially when they're parked right next to one another.

This was the scene on Blue Lake today, near Nashwauk, where I measured the ice at 9". Crazy!full-130-14804-img_0237.jpg

Anyone care to share any lakes around the Range that have night bite potential?

Just looking for a place to hit after work that potentially could lead to some action.

Thanks!