• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

I fish on a power plant lake in Illinois and water temps are 73-82 degrees depending on where you are at and today I decided to keep a few of the 30 or so smallies I have caught in the past few day and two of them still had eggs. I was real frustrated with that since this is the first time I have ever kept a single smallmouth from the local lake.

Local guys.......Do sunnies/gills usually spawn this late? Seems very late to me. Let me know.......thanks....

This is a little later than normal in my opinon!

I was out last night with my bro and my gf and we caught a few hammerhandles on snyder, my bro missed a beast that we didn't get a look at but it was a big one! The GF didn't have much luck she had a 3 pounder up to the boat but it got off!

I cleaned a few crappies on Friday that had eggs in them as well. I agree that it is way later than normal.

Found a couple eyes on Big Detroit Friday night. Girlfriend just had back surgery so baitcasters were out of the question. Found a couple 14 inch eyes in 17-20 feet of water trolling leeches and spinners. Yes I ate them! Fished Melissa on Saturday and used bottom bouncers and spinners in 30 feet of water. Caught a 26 inch walleye and let her go, pic is in another thread. What started as a cold beverage outing turned into a memory. Walleye fishing in the DL/Pelican area has been amazing this summer. Spots really arent much of a secret and it seems like every boat around if not our own is pounding fish left and right. I hope folks practice selective harvest to keep this going. We do our part do you do yours?

might be up in the DL/Pelican area for the fourth, anyone interested in taking a CPR guy out for some crappies or gills? GonnA be staying at a cabin on Maud, But the boat has to stay home. Any good places within the area to shore fish?

Been out on snyder lake messing around with the northerns again lately, just tossing spinnerbaits and rattling raps around in the evenings. We always catch a few decent ones, this is Lengbyprincess's first northern she ever caught, a nice 3 pounder that was caught and released. Over the weekend me and my brothers caught some nice bass and northerns, northerns in the 4-5lb range and bass up to 3.5lbs!!

full-11084-9927-laurienorthern.jpg

I think she caught the fishing fever!! Cicada, we need to get out fishing sometime! When you are up my way chasing bass let me know, I love tossing spinnerbaits for bass!

Last night me and my brother went out on a lake we did well on this winter, we caught a ton of hammer handles and one nice sunny and one big ol slab crappie! All we did was troll spinners though, along the cabbage and shoreline structure. It was fun to get out and it was a beautiful night.

OOOhhh, did someone say bass fishing? Walleyes have been a little stuck-up lately, so bass fightin' might do the trick. How free is your schedule?

pretty darn free in the evenings! But I might be able to sneak out of work early on any given day!! I'll pm you my cell phone #

Went out to a local dl lake tday and had a pretty successful morning. Fishd from about 18 to 22 ft with leeches and caught 5 eyes. One 16" three 18" and one 26". Also managed two 30" pike and a couple perch. What a beautiful morning to be on a lake.

Nice report eyedawg. Ok, Leechbait, you don't just want me in the boat to run a camera, do you???? I do get to fish, right?

lol, of course you get to fish!! But you do need to take pics of my big fish too! laugh

Last several days have fished a new lake for me, and was surprised how much the walleye's cooperated..13 to 16'...riggin 1/8 bullet with a 7' leader, leeches were the perferred diet..came in all sizes up to 19". A few boats were around, but seemed to be using short leaders and moving much to fast in my opinion. Water temp was 75 degrees...lake shall remain nameless..

Steve

Very similar for me as well reno. I've been using a 6 ft snell with green hook and leeches and goin about .5 mph and I've caught two of my largest eyes ever. I've been pulln a three way system and its been Workn great

I have been having pretty good luck this past week pulling spinners with crawlers or just a hook crawler. About 20 feet. any shallower and the sunnies drive you nuts. Released a 22, 24, 26, 27. kept a bunch of 15-18". Also the crappies have been on fire. Limits in about 20 minutes. Nothing big just good 10-11" eaters. Simply tossing 1/16 oz jigs with hair or paddles, twister tails in bright colors in 12-14' near midlake weedbeds. Being a laid of state worker has alowed me to fish every morning thid past week. Usually have the lake to myself until about 8:00 and then a few boats trickle out. Pretty surprised at lack of fishing boats, even in the evenings.

Took my son out again last night. The east wind was actually a bit chilly. We fished for about 3 hours, catching a bazillion sunnies and obout 30 crappies. Put them all back. Tried to find the eyes but only caught a few slimers and bass... Still a fun night.

was out this past Sat. Morning. Kind of earie with the thick fog. I could only see about 75 yards. Thankfully my GPS kept me on the spots. Pulling spinners was tough as the sunnies were really hungry. I finally switched to a plug and had good success. Caught quite a few norskys and 3 nice eater walters. trolling about 1.5 MPH in 10-12 feet at tight as possible to the weedline. hoping to get out this evening.

Took my daughter out friday evening for pannies. Caught a bunch of fish. kept 20 sunnies all over 8" and 10 crappies in the 10-11" range. Probably caught 75 fish in 90 minutes. Had a great fishfry Sat. night. I then took my son out Sunday morning pulling cranks on a different lake. Nothing for the livewell, caught about a dozen perch, 4 bass and a 23" northern. My sons first time pulling cranks and he wasn't thrilled with it - pulling weeds of trebles is not much fun for a 6 year old.

Another idea for crank pullers......Went out last saturday and picked up 3 good eyes pulling for suspended walleyes using leadcore. We were fishing in 117 feet of water pulling cranks down about 14 feet. Picked up 3 in a little over an hour and my dad lost a very big walleye on the surface.....If you see baitfish on the electronics, those walleyes are not far awaay.

Took my son out bassin Saturday afternoon. Wasn't great action but we caught about a dozen in 3 hours. Jack is posing with our only double of the day. All CPR'dfull-5079-10830-july2011008.jpg

Went to Big C and pulled lead from 3:30 to 9 pm. Concentrated on 25-34 fow; main lake stuff. Three fish: 13, 14 and 18.5" to show for the efforts. A few smallies, a few jaxsons thrown in. It sure wasn't fast and furious. Caught all three eyes in three different areas. Very few fish on the graph in general. LOTS of boat traffic. 400 rip shads and #7 jointeds seem to get most of the bites. Good luck.

Took my brother in law and his nephew from New York out Saturday evening. Boy was it chilly with the strong east wind. Went after pannies for awhile. Caught about 20 crappies - kept 17 plus a bunch of sunnies, and then pulled plugs for awhile. Caught a few bass and small norskies. Pretty fun on ultra light rods.

Went to White Earth Sunday. Caught a walleye in the first five minutes and thought, "Here we go, I still do remember how to catch a walleye,"....wrong! The only 'eye I caught in the eight hours of fishing. Lots of small northerns. Tried leeches, crawlers, and trolling crankbaits.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was a beautiful evening to fish. I tried a deep clear lake. Leeches and crawlers behind a gold hammered spinner in about 20 feet was good. Caught about a dozen bass, a few sunnies, a bunch of rockies, a 25" northern and 3 really skinny eyes all around 15". A nice mixed catch. All released. I pretty much had the lake to myself. Really peacefull.