• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Fished another area lake last night, me and my son. Got out there and it was flat calm, tried out from a shallow bay in 10-16 fow and all we caught were perch, which were pretty decent actually. Moved into the bay and caught a lot of small notherns and one decent sunny. We were tossing 1/16 oz jigs and crappie minnows, and using floats from time to time.

Found water temps almost hitting 53, and as low as 47 on the south side of the lake. I've always had better luck at and after dark on this lake with the crappies, but when you do find them they are really truely some slabs. But being a school/work night we just headed in at 8:15. Good times though!

Let's try this. A fishing report in the fishing reports thread. The crappies are going pretty good right now. Yesterday a high school classmate and I fished a larger lake with a shallow bay. The water in the bay was 56 degrees and the crappies were active. We took home 14, but caught maybe thre times that many. Today we hit another good size lake that has no shallow bays on it. We found the crappies along shore in and near cabbage weeds. We think we caught around 50 or so crappies along with a few bluegills and maybe a dozen bass. All catch and release today, but fun. Water temp was 54 degrees. Although Scot continually made fun of my pink and white jig, it did school him.

Starting trouble Myers, Im with ya.

Crappies were very easy to find on a large local lake. We caught them at any point of the day in about 6 to 12 feet. We had constant action with most of the fish being around 13" threw back many that were larger and a few that were smaller. I may or may not have culled. Kept 10 could have kept 100.

How about this, if I intend to keep crappies but only catch 2, at the end of the day. I think to myself this isnt enough for a meal. So I throw them back in the lake alive and in good condition. Are some of you saying that this is illegal and that I have to keep the fish. Sounds dumb, but it happens, and feel it is obviously better for the lake and fish to release it.

By the way, yes shinners were out, I didnt check the streams but say many in the bays. Carefull where you seign though. Zebra muscles.

and flowering rush!!!

Good reports guys, keep them coming. I fished 6 lakes in two days and only came up with a handful of crappies. The ones I did find were in 6-8 fow. I did catch some nice gills and couple of bass that were fun reeling in. The one I thought was a monster crappie grin got the ol' heart pumping. I found temps creeping towards 60 in a few select bays! Otherwise 55 was the avg temp.

Anyhow, I fished a local DL lake last night and managed a few bass and some sunfish/gils but no crappies. But I've fished the same lake for about 1.5 weeks now and watched the temp rise from 51 (04/11) to 61 (04/20) in there. Seems to me as though the crappies were moving into the bay in the A.M. and P.M. at colder water temps. Since the water hit >58 deg. it feels like it's been more of a mid-day bite?

Any one else have any similar occurrences?

Got out a few times this week, crappies are on fire right now. Took one afternoon out in the waders and landed at least 50 in about 3 hours, got them all on 1" gulp minnows or 2" power minnows under a set bobber. Met up with Cicada today and hit Lida, boated about 40 nice crappies and kept 8 for a fish fry this weekend. They are definately on the feedbag right now, get out while it's good.

Well what the? Couldn't phone a friend? lol!!!

I'm heading out to fish in the rain for a while!!

Caught some small pannies (sunny/crappie mix) and two of the hugest bass I've ever caught on an area lake last night!

fair enough, I did take pics of the kids holding them, I'll post them up. I'm not much of a bass dude, but these are some pigs for this area.

april252010025-1.jpg

april252010026.jpg

Its almost too bad that everything is happening so early this year, I feel like im going to miss out on all of the early season bass fishing because all the slop is going to be grown in by the time I can get out and target them. I guess im feeling like im going to miss the good walleye bite too with water temps approaching 60 already! But im not going to complain ill take the warm over the cold anyday. And on the bright side I already went out and got all stocked up on shiners! good luck all and keep them reports coming!

well, I hit my favorite sring honeyhole today for a few hours. Was more concerned with making sure everything in my new boat was working as it should, and am %80 satiisfied. Did however manage to boat some huge monster Blue Gills. Not a crappie to be had though, the other boat in our party had about 10 between 4 of them and some bluegills, water temp was only 57 in the bay. Magic number for that body of water is 61. as soon as the bay hits 61, all you have to do is hold the lid to the live well open, and wait for the crappies to jump in.

It was still good to get out.

Fished a few times this week on a couple of smaller lakes with the water temp from 57-61 degrees. Only found one little area that was tight up against the rushes and you actually had to shake them for the crappies to come out of it. Other than that there were thousands of little potato chip sunnies and more than enough bass looking for crappie minnows.

So anybody have any opener traditions or rituals you go through each and every spring?

And what are you plans for this year?

My spring ritual, is normally, clear off the dining room table, set up an additional 8foot table, lay down some table clothes, and empty out my takle boxes and reorganize everything. (BTW this really upsets the wife, so send her to spa that day). I respool my most used reels, and grease them all.

I then, tie up a years supply of snells, and spinner rigs of different sizes, lenghts and colors. I then spend several hours attemtpting to stick everthing I had from last year plus all the new "hot" or "special" lures I managed to buy on sale at my favorite takle stops through out the winter back into all the little plastic tackle boxes while maintaining some sense of order. I also resharpen a few hooks at this time so they are easier to get stuck in my hand or arm, while tieing on to fishing line later.

Now this year so far, I have done none of that. Reason number one, is boat remodel, reason number 2 is most of line spooling gear, and leader material is in a box at the bottom of my storage garage. Dont worry though I will get to that box before opening weekend.

Last fall, I bought a Lund Pro-V 1750 DLX for a fantastic price, however it had a few flaws, which I had no problems fixing for the price, but as I get more and more into the boat, I am finding out just how moronic some people are. I mean who wires their boat with 16 gauge solid copper wire anyway. Someone replaced all the factory wire with solid wire. ( I am guess the previous owner was an electrician). SO far I have torn up the lower floor deck and replaced it with new 3/4 inch plywood, and covered it with rubber toughcoat instead of carpet. THis is a non slip surface that gets painted on, and when dirty, I can take a hose after it and it is done.

I have replaced trolling motor with better one, replaced faulty live well filler pump and bilge pump. Replaced 8 out of 10 fuses with working ones, replaced all locks and hinges, new batteries, rerivoted all the cleats, replaced the ball hitch mechanism on trailer, and repacked bearings. I still have to add a onboard charger, and replace three super waterlogged boat seats.

This all seamed like such a small task, but has turned my spring upside down. I have only made it on the water once, and that trip was more to find the rest of the flaws to fix, but it will be worth it when done. After all I only paid 4,000 for the boat.

As for this opener, I have no exact plans, but will be out at midnight one way or another. In the past I have left the lake picking to my long time friend Rod who passed away 18 months ago, so I have to pick up the Becker/Otterail Map and throw darts at it this year. If anyone is interested in joining me at midnight on Saturday of opener, I will have an open seat in boat.

We head up to our Deer camp on Round Lake. My dad and his 2 partners bought it in 1982 and it was 10 guys and 5 boats. Fishing opener has now grown to about 15-20 guys....and 3 boats. Needless to say most come for the BSing and just to get up to deer camp. Most of us go up Thursday afternoon. Some go to town and go golfing Friday and some stick around put in the dock and sien minnows.

This year i am going to change it up and fish trout on Bad Medicine. Probably the wrong move since this SHOULD be the best opener we've had in a while but since moving to Fargo I miss the trout.

Hopefully I can sit in my boat and have a couple cold ones as I organize my things in the garage this weekend as well.

I get all my stuff in my tackle box organized usually in March, lol! I re-organize it several times after that until the opener. Over the last 5 years or so I get up really early on opener make a good breakfast and fill up my thermos and head to the same ol lake out in the hills. I troll the same point and shoreline all morning, some openers I've slammed them and some I get skunked. I really don't care if I do that well, it's nice to be out there on that ol lake again fishing walleyes and enjoying the scenery.

I stay home and take the weekend off from fishing. No need to butt elbows against all the other people out there.

Ok guys post up...fishing opener in Mn is a tradition like no other. Now I must admit I have not always fished opener for one reason or another. The openers I have not fished however I have watched the boats go by on the highway and had that tug at the heart. I grin and think of all the warm memeories of openers past. Most have been family and friend events where catching is subordinate to the fellowship. The years were it was 35 degrees with 45 mph win and snow flurries and the warmth of the cabin was the highlight of the weekend. The year we were chased off of Winne by a tornado(yes we watched the funnel cloiud). It's not about the fish caught, but the fact you were there. My 22 yr old son still talks about these times and he always will. I can just hear him talking about these memories to my (FUTURE) grandkids. Get out there guys and make some memories.

I stay home and take the weekend off from fishing. No need to butt elbows against all the other people out there.

I guarentee I'll be the only boat out where I'm going grin

Hey Leech just be sure the kids are with you, they never forget these openers.

Crappie fishing ahs been a good tune-up for the opener. Eerything is in working order. The choice of lake will depend on the weather more than anything. Star, Lizzie, Big Cormorant all are possibilities, but I won't rule out other rumors.

Leechbait, it don't count if you put your boat in the swimming pool. smile

Ahh it's no secret, I'll be on (@#&(^#&$ Lake. grin It's the same story every year! Actually plans might have changed now, I may be out on White Earth with fisherdog19 and his flock of misfits!!! Fish should still be gorging on shiners out there come next weekend.

Paul that sounds like a hell of a deal on that boat. We'll have to join up one of these days this summer. I haven't fished the DL area...ever!!

If all goes as planned I'll be out on White Earth again this year. We normally don't fish real hard but give it a sporting chance. For the group of us that go, its more of a time to get away and relax and maybe have a few beverages. We have had years that we did very well and other years that we've been snowed on and not caught anything. By the end of the weekend my batteries are recharged and I'm ready to get back to the real world.

Leech, are you guys planning on staying at a resort down there? If you are at Cedar Crest I'll try to look for you and say hi.

Good luck to everyone on opener. Remember to be safe and try not to let yourself get too frustrated with anything.

If all goes as planned I'll be out on White Earth again this year.

Hey Hunt, shouldn't you be at home in charge of bottles and dirty diapers over opener? I hope all went well and you've got some good news to share. "The guys" at the club have been asking about you, but I don't have a report to give. Shoot me an e-mail and give me the skinny.

Be up on White Earth, I think we'll be at Cedar Crest but I don't remember and I didn't make the reservations. Get there Friday morning and will fish until Sunday. If you see me, come over and say hello, I'll have the Triton Tiller with a 115 Yamaha.