• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Fished strawberry sat morning. The two of us caught approx 50 fish. It was good except we were fishing for walleye and didnt catch one. We caught snake northerns, lg mouth bass, smallmouth bass, sunnies, perch, rockbass and a crappie.

All the fish were smaller, nothing big. Fished all depths starting at 37' where I got the first rocket of the day.

As for the walleyes, maybe it wasnt the right time for them. As far as all other fish, what a great place to bring some kids to keep them busy. Fish were in the weeds from 12-26' and they liked minnows.

High, it's pretty shallow to get the boat in. I wasn't sure if I could jump into the boat with my bad back. I was thinking I should wade to the boat, but managed to get on the ?dock? and make a leap of faith.

Anyone have any opinions how the cool summer and the cool lake temps are going to affect the walleye bite going into the fall months?

Went out with my little dude Sat. afternoon in search of panfish. Found them. The sunnies were on the attack big time. Fished them for about an hour, catching about a million. Kept a few 8-9 inchers and then went after crappies. Fished another hour cathing about 20 kept 15 good eaters 9-11 inches plus some dandy bass that my 4.5 year old pulled in on his snoopy rod. Pretty fun outing. Lake was like glass, light mist and no other boats on the entire lake. That was odd.

auggie78, just read an interesting article on this subject in the In-Fisherman magazine. The jist of the article said that the fall bite is dictated more by loss of daylight and cooling nights than the August full moon. In fact, they said an early (in the month) full moon is better for night fishing muskie and bass and a later one is better for walleyes. I went out today thinking that with cooler water temperatures I would find walleyes shallower than normal for this time of year. I fished cabbage on the first lake I tried and found that while the cabbage was still there and pretty healthy there was a lot of deeper weed growth mixed in that wasn't there a month ago. All I got was bluegills and largemouth bass. Moved to lake number two to look for suspended fish to crankbait. They weren't as deep (30 plus feet and off the bottom)as last year at this time and the ones I did find (24-27 feet hugging the bottom) wouldn't chase cranks, but sure liked the leeches I had even though they were small leeches. Caught six walleyes and a couple of northerns before the back started to tighten up, so I quit mid-afternoon.

paceman, I was at a funeral in Cooperstown, ND last Monday and talked to a teacher from McVille. It sounds like several ND schools are starting early this year. He had to start August 12th. So, the Nodaks may be thinnning out for the summer already.

Went out tonight with the family and ended up doing OK on the sunfish (Worm and plastics pulled in about the same amount of fish). Pulled rapalas around just before and after dark and ended up with 1 rock bass. No walleye. only reason for the posting is because it was a great summer night to be out on the lake. My wife even mentioned that tonight is why we live in MN.Tonight was the first night of the year she has fished with me and the boys.I had a great time with everyone in the boat. Even if we didn't get many keepers.Great night on the lake and Even though my wife will NEVER read this,(Thats why I can say this) I had a great time with her fishing grinwhistle.

Fished Lizzie pretty hard this weekend as my in laws rented a condo this month out there. Friday/Saturday the weather sucked and it was windy. Caught a few nice eyes on jigs and shiners, only a couple crappies, a few bass, some pike and lots of nice 8-9" gills. Lost about a 50" muskie while bass fishing so I now have my muskie rods there, lost one other around the high 30's also. Sunday the weather broke and we fished about 6 hours for panfish, the crappies were still not overly active but we got 6 nice ones up to 1.5# and quite a few nice sunnies again with some bass and pike mixed it. Plan on hitting Lida this weekend since I'm so close, need to find the crappies out there and have been meaning to for a few years now.

Good to meet Paceman, Brett and see Jerry again during my vacation and to almost cross paths at the Mellisa ramp with Steve. Perhaps we'll cross paths again in September.

When were you out on Melissa? I was out there today, off the lake at 3pm. Went after some slabs, got about 25 of them but not much size. Wind was tough today, had a tough time holding the anchor. Hit Lizzie this evening, got two nice eyes while crappie fishing with plastics in 10 fow, they seem to be in the cabbage, that's my 6th incidental walleye in about 7 hours of crappie fishing, all of which were over 20".

Yesterday when the wind was howling mid afternoon. Pike bonanza, with almost all having whole bluegills in the gut. We did pickup several bonus eyes to 24" while casting 7.5-12.5 fow or trolling the deep edge, which in Melissa is 16-16.5. Must be all over because we graphed fish down to 32 feet. An often overlooked walleye pattern in August is fishing tight on the cabbage early am. We rip shadraps and traps at 3.5-3.8 mph first light and do well, and anytime the south wind is cranking even in bright sun like Wednesday. Enjoy! Saturday into early Sun looks to be a big fish day for you all if the storms don't spoil it. Clouds rolling in and good pressure falls forecast. Wish I was back but kids football banquet requires the fishing addiction to be put on hold. Appreciate the forum and all the good information you folks share.

My son and I went out after the mighty crappie last evening. Found everything except them. Walleyes, northerns, sunnies, bass...Some nice ones of each. Plenty of action to keep my 4 year old entertained. I was fishing a new lake. Just simply sliding/gliding along a shoreline weedline with me casting a small/jig minnow and jack dragging his lucky bobber on his lucky sponge bob pole. Jack was the better fisherman as he caught the two nice 15" eyes. I believe he is getting hooked!!!!

Great news paceman with the son.

Fished Lizzie yesterday. No walleyes. Four smallmouth up to 18.5 inches, a northern, and a largemouth 18 inches. The smallies were puking up bugs and all looked kind of plump. Had a tough time loading the boat with my 2wd. Boat floated over on the trailer. The water is down a foot or better. I couldn't back in again to straighten the boat since I was sure I wouldn't get back up the ramp when it was wet. Had to limp over to Pelican and use that access to get the boat on the trailer properly.

One thing that was pretty cool. Had a low to mid 30 inch range northen follow up the first 12 in smallmouth I caught. Stayed there for several seconds, so I could get a good look at it.

Cicada- Thanks for the info. I finally had a good night last night. A buddy and I fished from 7 to 9:30 and boated 11 walleyes. Found them in 20 to 25 FOW. the wind died at sunset and the bugs were just too much to handle and we had to leave.

I had a hard time finding leeches last night. The guy at quality bait told me they are hoping for more soon. I hope they arnt done trapping them for the season.

Wow, has it been a while since I got out in the boat. I went out last night, despite the wind and rain. It was a welcome feeling as I drifted along pitching my jigs in and along the cabbage! It's been darn near 2 weeks since I've been out.

I was out on North Twin last night, I caught some nice gills, perch, bass, a ton of northerns, and one crappie! A smorgasbord of aquatic dwellars, but they all went back into the drink. Good times though!

Was over a week since I had the chance to get out. High school classmate came up and we hit Juggler on Saturday. We had a little bass contest. This time I came out on top 22 to 16, most on buzzbaits, but some on a scumfrog. Also caught some big bluegills and a northern or two. We fished most of the day, so it wasn't fast and furious by any means.

Sunday we went to Tamarac for largemouth. It stunk. Only three largemouth and several northerns. Those were the sickliest looking northerns I have ever seen. They were about 18 inches long, the head looked normal, but the bodies were only about an inch wide. Gave up on that and stopped at Cotton. Little smorgasboard fishing there. Everything but a walleye, but nothing to really brag about.

Toopk my little dude out Saturday Mid-day for panfish. Found the crappies right away. Trolling a small beatle-spin with a crappie minnow shallow along the weedline. Caught 2 nice ones right away. Anchored up and tried bobbers...No bites after 15 minutes so went back to trolling. They wanted it moving. Every trip through a small inside turn produced a fish. Had our limits of good eater's 9-11" in no time...

Did Lida yesterday. Caught eight walleyes, two over the slot and the rest were under 14 inches. Also caught a few bass and a bluegill. Very light bites. Leeches in 24-27 fow.

What is the walleye slot now on lida and do you think it is working or is it to early to tell?

Took my father in law out last night. Found the crappies again. Trolling beatle-spins is a lot of fun. Caught a few snakes, bass, sunnies and 20 plus crappies in about 90 minutes. Had the entire lake to ourselves except for couple loon. Got home in time to watch most of the vikes game and the end of the twins. A great night to be alive.

Went out last night for walleyes on Little Floyd. Was completely dead! Just a few very light bites. Hoping that with the full moon on friday night things will pickup.

Still hope to fish Cormorant when the wind lays down. Fished Franklin on Monday. Got 2 small walleyes and 6 small notherns in 17-23ft. Water is "very" warm". Fished DT Lake this morning at the south end, out of the wind. Got 5 small walleyes and a bunch of pan fish. Got perch,sunfish and the walleye 30ft down. The walleye were more agressive today than on Sat. or Sunday. Little Pine is also on the list to try.

Best to you. Any info on Pickeral Lake?

MI Friend

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Big C Friday night trolling cranks and frogs. Ended up with 5 fish between 15-20 inches, lost a few on frogs, and got a ton of rocko's. Water temp 71, 15 too many for a good fall bite yet.

We fished Bad Medicine over the weekend without much luck.

Caught one 17 inch walleye and a bunch of little small mouth bass. Seen alot of trout jumping around but couldn't seem to catch any. But was it a nice weekend or what?

Fished Lida today. Caught seven walleyes, all in the morning. Redtails in 23-28 feet of water. Three keepers, one to small, and two to big (23 and 25.5 inches).