• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Went out today and found jumbo perch! Sight fishing in 8 feet. I kept 10 and took them home to fillet. They were filled with those white grubs in the meat. I was so disgusted, what a shame. They were a blast to catch, but man, not going to keep any more of those things. Beautiful day to be on the ice.

can't stand the sight of them myself, but I was told of a trick to rid the filets of those white grubs.

place the fresh filets in a bowl of warm water. the grubs sense with the warm temperature that it's time to continue on to the next stage in their cycle and exit the host.

it works.

I still don't keep grubby perch.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering what everyone in the area found this weekend. Really slow opener on Moose for me. 3 walleyes in 2 days. I couldn't figure out if they were going to be shallow or deep. Turns out I couldn't find them anywhere! I did catch my 1st muskie - 35 incher - which was cool.

From what I've been hearing, Saturday was good and Sun/Mon have been tough due to the high skies and flat water.

35" 'ski, bet that was fun on the walleye gear!

Brian

Fishing Report for Area lakes in Northern Minnesota

The second weekend started off with a bang, on some area lakes, like Big Winnie, and Upper Red Lake. Big Winnie we found fish all along the north shore 7 to 10 foot range, perch our also showing up shallow in good numbers, Jig shiner, but rainbow chubs are a good second choice, which seems to be the best all around presentation, although leeches seem be a good third choice for walleyes. Took a trip up to upper Red Lake, which is the hot lake at this time, lot’s walleye in all sizes, 7 to 9 ft. around rocks seem to be the best spots, jig minnow is all you need. Leech Lake is also starting to turn on, the water temps are findly getting to the upper to mid 50's which we need, for the hot bite.

Have fun and be safe.

Area fishing guide Charlie Worrath, Full time fishing guide, Charlie Gone Fishing Guides services, member of the MN Fishing Pros

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing Report for Northern Minnesota

Grand Rapids & Deer River area

Winter just doesn’t want to let go, keeping the water temps in the mid to high 50”s. For us jig fishermen that all fine and dandy as cooler water will prolong the jig & minnow bite but the water are slowly creeping upward despite the cool windy weather were having. Which will be turning on many of area lakes which haven’t been producing in the past couple weeks. Still look for most fish shallow, the walleye will still be chasing the shiner run, for a week or so, Bass still will be on deep break lines, till the water warms a little more to build there beds, crappies will be staging out in deeper water in front of there spawning area. Big Winnie still is the hot bite in the area, Leech Lake needs a few more warmer days, before it lights up. Jig tip with a shiner still preferred bait at this time, for just about all of area species.

Charlie Worrath, Full time area fishing guide, member of the www.fishingminnesota.com guides service

• 2 weeks later...

Northern Minnesota fishing report

The shallow water walleye bite 7 to 12 feet is still going strong on

area lakes, Big Winnie, Bowstring, Sand, & Big Island,They have all

been very good this past week. I expect it to continue through out the

next week or so. Jig and Shiner are still the preferred presentation.

Water temps are in the mid 60's which means the it's time for the pan

fish to spawn. look for crappies around pencil reeds and rocks. Tossing

spinner bait have been effective presentation. Bass action also has been

very good on area lakes.

• 3 weeks later...

Grand Rapids- Deer River Area Fishing Report

With all the rain and cool temps have kept the water temps in the low 60’s, Making the jig minnow bite hanging in as still one of the top presentations, rigs, tip with either a leech or crawler have been a good second choice. The fish are making there move out to deeper structure, and they have been signs of first may fly hatch. I’m thinking after our next few days of warm weather, you’ll see the first hatch. Then the rig bite will be in full swing. On the area lakes the bite is having mood swings along with the weather, great bite one day go back the next and you work for everyone you get. When we get a few days of stable weather the bite should be as good as you can expect for this time of year.

Be safe Have fun, and enjoy a day on the water, this is area fishing guide Charlie Worrath

Was up at Deer Lake this past weekend. Mayfly hatch is in full swing, they are all over.

More of a non fishing trip, but I was able to get out in a kayak for some smallmouth fishing. There were a lot of smallmouths on the shallow to deep breaklines. Fish would chase a small crank or spinnerbait, but would not bite. Most smallmouth came on a jig and plastic.

Nothing big, 3 lbs probably the biggest, but still fun from a kayak.

Coming up to Sand lake on saturady for our yearly trip, any reports from there would be great, the mayfly hatch has ruined our fishing before, hoping it doesn't this year. Any reports from Sand would be greatly appreaciated.

> Grand Rapids-Deer

> River Area Fishing Report

>

> The water temps in area lakes has finally reach the high sixties, which

> is putting this years May fly hatch in full swing. This mean to me that

> you want to switch over leech's and crawlers as your best baits for

> walleyes, look for walleyes around mud humps as they will be feeding on

> the May fly as they hatch, The key to fishing these fish is to fish

> these walleye as slow as possible, you can't fish to slow, for these

> well fed fish. Also the larger Northern pike will be found on these

> deeper mid lake structures. I like to jig these deeper pike, and you

> pick up some nice perch in the process. On Days when the wind is to

> strong to fish mid lake structure, the cabbage weed beds will always be

> holding a few fish of all species. I like to run spinners or jig these

> fish. When running spinners only use a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. bullet weights,

> you don't want the spinner to drag the bottom.

>

> Area Full Time Fishing Guide Charlie Worrath

Grand Rapids – Deer River Area Fishing Report

The May Fly hatch of last week as come and gone, fishing walleyes has improved the last few day, Rigs tipped with crawlers, seems to work better over the leech, also ran spinners in shallower water on windy, cloudy days, it also work well, tip with a ½ crawler. Crank baits are staring to show signs of life. Running #5 shad raps. Perch are going pretty strong, look for them around 15 ft rock piles, jig minnow best presentation. Bass are also biting on the area bass lake. I like casting a jig and leech and pull down the drop.

Charlie Worrath, full time area fishing guide. wwwcharliesgonefishingguideservice.com

• 4 weeks later...

I did very poorly on big sand and sugar lakes near Remer, both seem like pretty poor lakes this time of year. Ended up sneaking back to knight lake and fishing off a cabin's dock and got a real nice batch of sunfish for the frying pan. i also caught one very large bass on leighton lake, had to go 6 pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Its that time of the year, the nights are cooling down and the water temps are starting to fall. The fish are starting to make their transition to the shallows. Most fish we have been catching have been around the weeds. On winnie the fish have been still on the flats of the big bars like bena, long or muskie. Using a spinner or a shad rap trolling around to find a bunch of fish has been working well yet. The edge of the weeds in the 9-12 ft of water on the north and west shore has also been working well. Again trolling shad raps or spinners and a leech has been the ticket. Other area lakes Bowstring and sand lake have been producing some decent catches with the fish being caught in the 8-11 ft with a spinner being the best bet. The name of the game is still to cover ground to find the active fish. With this cooler weather look for the fish to school up more and more as the weather cools.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

fishing fever guide service

fishingminnesota guide service

218-999-5591

• 4 weeks later...

Grand Rapids, Deer River & Winnibigoshish fishing Report

Sept. 16th 2011

The last few days of very cold temperatures as certainly dropped the water temps. We saw the temps drop down to the low 60’s. But the fast drop has slow the fishing on all species in this area. Once they make and adjustment to the cooler temps, the bite will on. Starting to see signs of the jig minnow combo being the go to presentation. Yesterday we marked a lot of fish on Big Winnie both on the north and East shores, in 12 to 14 ft range. Getting them to bite was another story. We did pick up some with a spinner tip with a ½ crawler, and ¼ oz jig tip with a chub minnow. Some crappies were also caught in Little Cut-Foot 15 to 17 ft, spinners, or jig minnow, perch can be found on rocks humps the shallower the better, again jig minnow.

This area fishing guide Charlie Worrath, Charlie’s Gone Fishing Guide Services, a full time professional guide, member of the MN Fishing Pros Guide Services,

• 8 months later...

May 20th Grand Rapids - Deer River Fishing Report

Over all, on the area lakes we haven't had a fast start as we would have liked, not that were not catching fish, just that you have work harder then I think you should have to for this time of year. Walleyes can be found 7 to 8 ft range, jig tip with a shiner is the top choice at this time, also the perch bite and size has been great, look for them mixed in with the walleyes or on rocky shorelines on Lake Winnie. Bowstring has been the most consistent bite in the area, If you can't fine the walleye along the shoreline, try the deep water breaks 18 to 25 ft. again, jig & Shiner work well, I believe you could rig this fish with leech or crawlers, I just haven't tried it myself. Sand Lake is starting to show signs of coming alive. look for walleye in 9 to 11 ft range. If the small pike are to overwhelming try using chub minnows, you'll catch less pike and more walleyes. Big Red lake also took off last week, alot of walleyes in the 13 to 15 inch range, look for rocks 6 to 9 ft.

Charlie Worrath

What what a week of fishing.Wind Rain and plenty walleyes.

Winnie was just ok for me found most of my fish around the river channel in 9-13 ft of water. they weren't fast and furious but steady. the other areas on winnie were some of the little humps off the river channel in 20 ft off the edges of the humps. I also got some fish in the inside river channel in 5-7 ft of water. The fish were all over the place but hard to entice.

Bowstring was the other lake I was on this week with excellent results. most of the fish were on the edge of the main lake bread in 15-23 ft of water and there are lots of them. Lots of small and big fish but plenty around for the livewell. Most the fish in Bowstring were caught on a 1/4 oz gumball and a shiner or a chub.

good luck fishing and we will keep the reports coming

Jason Boser

Jason Boser

Fishing Fever Guide Service

http://www.fishingminnesota.com

218-999-5591

• 2 weeks later...

Once the weather got done with the fish seemed to turn on up here the weekend was a great time to be fishing. Fished Sand, Leech,Ballclub and touched on island this weekend. Sand lake has picked up with the fish being caught in mostly deeper water 15-23 ft but we are also getting some fish in the weeds with the perch in 6-8 ft. I have been using a 1/8 oz northland gumball for most of my fishing. Leech was pretty decent too. Most of our fish came in the weeds in 7-9 ft. When we found weeds we found fish it seemed. again a 1/8 oz gumball and a shiner was the key. Ballclub was the disappointment for me the weekend. I had a hard time putting anything together. The water was high with all the rain and might have screwed up the fishing. Island Lake was decent also most fish in the 9-13 ft with jig and minnow being the key. The shiners are going to be tough to come by soon so enjoy them while you can. soon we will be rigging.

good luck fishing

Jason

Jason Boser

Fishing Fever Guide Service

http://www.fishingminnesota.com

218-999-5591

• 2 months later...

Looking for a little help selecting a lake for a fall fishing trip. Will be fishing for Walleyes and Crappies. Would like some advice on selecting a good fall fishing lake. I have looked at Spyder, Wabana, Northstar and Moose any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Looking at purchasing a cabin on Washburn lake, wondering what I can expect on the fishing potential there. Thanks

I did check that out and the net surveys weren't great for walleyes . Was just looking for some real word reports. Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

I duck hunted the last 2 days and yesterday found skim ice on most of the landings we checked.

With this colder weather moving in, I'd have to say there's an excellent chance to possibly start venturing out the weekend of the 1st or 2nd.

This is just a guessimate!!! NO ICE is ever safe!!! Use the buddy system and have life jackets on, ice pics on, and a long rope with something heavy on the end so you can get it out to your partner if he goes though. I've got a small cast iron fry pan on the end of my safety line.

Have a GREAT ice fishing season everyone and BE SAFE!!!

Brian

so how'd ya do duck huntin?????????? seen 2 swans fly over sitting in the deer stand sunday morning and there was a ton of shooting to the south of me towards rush island sunday morning. sounded like duck hunter shooting but guns sounded like high powered rifles.??????????