• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I haven't heard anything about those lakes....not even rumors! wink So that either means no one is fishing them, which I doubt. Or people are fishing them, catching fish, and keeping in quiet.

Without any specifics the general consensus is that fishing is pretty good right now. Winnie has been good for walleyes and northerns......so/so for perch. Lots of perch but tough to find keepers.

Brian

Thanks for the info. We'll be heading up Fri-Mon so hopefully the fishing is good and everyone is keeping it a secret. Winnie is another option we were pondering as well. Good to know.

Thanks,

We were on Bowstring on Friday, one crappie for four people. Tried four differant spots and couldn't mark anything.I saw three other vehicles out there so either very slow or the cold scared people away. We fished six other lakes Saturday through Monday and only got a few sunnies and a few small northern. I would think with a few days of this warmer weather it can only get better. Good luck!!

merc,would like a way get ahold of you, e-mail, phone, something, i have a friend that would like to talk to you, they have a place on peterson. thanks.

We drove on every lake we fished with no problem. No slush and you could go anywhere. I do think the fish went south for the winter though. We did manage enough for a fish fry so that was good. I would hope this strech of warm weather will get them going.

The lakes are drivable but you may find slush on some and need 4x4 on others. Nothing to treacherous tho

Any fish being taken outa bowstring or any of the area lakes?? Im headed up to the area middle of february to do some snowmobiling and more so ice fishing! Im stayin at arcadia on Turtle lake, is turtle worth spending time on? Otherwise ive heard good things about jesse, and bowstring...and if that falls through winni is a jont away! let me know how you guys are doing and if you have any in put on where i should try. Thanks guys

I haven't heard much about turtle in the winter, other than northerns. I know there's some monster crappies in there, guys get 'em in the spring when they're on their beds, but I haven't ever heard of anyone getting on them in the winter. Jessie is ok, a few eyes and crappies, but I'd definitely stay on either bowstring or winnie. I've got a weak spot for crappies on bowstring, alot of good memories, but the eye, perch, and pike bite has been pretty good on winnie this year, or so i hear.

I have a place near Turtle, and have a hard time finding fish on that lake for some reason. I would love to find the crappies this winter, any ideas where to look in that lake? I have had good walleye luck around the islands in summer, never in winter.

Your guess is as good as mine pinusbanksiana. Alotta big, deep water out there for 'em to suspend in.

Well Well, Wonder how Bro. Dave did on Bowstring? Usually Valentines Day is the start of the Major Big Crappie run on Bowstring, at least in the areas we fish. I will call him and find out. If the bite was good he wont even tell me. I always have to be there to find out myself!!!!No minnows, never have, allways LARVA, Red & White is the ticket!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Went out on a small lake north of deer river on that steveresche recommended to me. Was looking for crappies, only got one little guy, but got some really nice sunnies, 10 or so in the 8-9 1/2" size, along with alot of smaller ones and had 3 bass in the 2-3lb range get off at the hole. Alotta fun for never having fished the lake before

Nice size "GILLS", best to keep it to yourself, or---you could contact my Brother, He keeps secrets real good---He lives in Deer River. Reply? if ya need a fishing partner!

I usually don't have a problem sharing spots but since someone else told me about the lake, i'll keep my mouth shut. sorry!

"ATTA BOY FISH",Sorry you guys didnt get into the crappies out there. I'll let you know when the slabs start going on that other lake we know about,it should only be a couple more weeks.

The fish in these lakes get BIG because we dont let out spots-sorry. There are so many untapped honey holes up here,get out there and explore and keep one for yourself for awhile. Its alot of hardwork usually, but well worth it,who wants to fish a 300 acre puddle in the middle of the great northwoods, rubbing elbows with 50 other people? Not me. GOOD LUCK

steve, you talking about the one that I caught that nice northern out of last year or the one north of the cities about an hour?

The one you caught your big northern out of. I fished the other one on monday-2 of our go to spots only produced a few fish then we started exploring the main basin and found fish scattered in small schools in 14-20 feet. I think the traditional structure has been fished pretty hard the last few weeks-pushing the fish into no mans land. I'll email you the coordinates when I get a chance, I dont know when I'll get out next.

I was gonna tell ya, too. Looks like there's a good chance I'll be moving back up north!! I took the dispatcher exam, passed it with flying colors, and have an oral interview this wednesday. Out of 52 people that took the exam, there's 5 that they're interviewing for 2 positions. You have no idea how excited I am!!

Congratulations! That is exciting,Hope it all works out in your favor. Are you gonna fish on wednesday? We fished Big Splithand when we went on our last excursion-found out very quick its a night bite for we were there all alone during the day. If I hear anything this weekend I'll be sure to let you know.

Probably not. Gonna head up tuesday night, sleep at my folks house, go to the interview at 9, and hopefully be back for work when we start at 1:00.

Sounds like Itasca???

I know they just tested for a new dispatcher and there were arond 50 applicants. Good luck fish, hopefully you get the job! But then again, more competition on the water/ice for me! wink LOL

Brian

Totally agree with you about keeping spots. Over the years I have done my homework and Tell someone I can trust, but you know what? Can"t trust Em know more.. GOOD FISHING