• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports

Hey Imhatz , as a northern Mn resident I just want to say to you that I wouldn't get to comfortable with your 17th of May arrival at Crane . This years ice out is going to be record breaking up here ... With that being said , I would hope by your trip date that the Gorge on Crane will be fishable at best , but getting up into Sandpoint may still Not be a go yet as of your arrival.....  My guess up there will be not until the 23 of May or just after , which puts it just before Memorial Day weekend ...  we are just so far off this year with any type of spring weather that produces ice outs .... 

darn...boat rented and camp site reserved...my father in law as been going to Crane since the late 50's....never an issue....it will be record setting....lets hope for sun and warmer temps ...thanks.

I will be contacting a friend that worked at Handbergs marine and is now a guide Micahel Scwanke...he will update me as well...much appreciated

On 4/15/2018 at 9:08 AM, imhatz said:

darn...boat rented and camp site reserved...my father in law as been going to Crane since the late 50's....never an issue....it will be record setting....lets hope for sun and warmer temps ...thanks.

I will be contacting a friend that worked at Handbergs marine and is now a guide Micahel Scwanke...he will update me as well...much appreciated

I would be intersected as to his opinion , please post when you hear from him .

• Thumbs Up 1

My brother in law stays at a resort on Kab through second weekend of walleye season. They called him the other day and told him to reschedule his group as they are sure there will be ice.

I heard back from Michael Schwanke a guide working out of Crane Lake that I have known for several years. I told him we are heading up on May 17th. He said it will be close real close. I depends on the night temps need to remain over freezing.....we will keep fingers crossed for a week or two and then decide what to do.

19 hours ago, imhatz said:

I heard back from Michael Schwanke a guide working out of Crane Lake that I have known for several years. I told him we are heading up on May 17th. He said it will be close real close. I depends on the night temps need to remain over freezing.....we will keep fingers crossed for a week or two and then decide what to do.

I’m wishing you luck my friend. It’s hard to get away and it can be very deflating when the weather doesn’t cooperate. 

Latest update from Crane lake.....people are hopeful and are predicting a possible ice out May 7...Been some good deterioration this week

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest dusty

Was up to Kabetogama   this past weekend. The Ash river ice went out April 27th The lake ice goes about 10 to 14 day later.

thanks....I watch the Crane lake Pine Point , Handbergs, and Voyagaire web cams....Pinr Point has open water and Handbergs around dock open and looks like opening up in the distance out of bay...we should be all good by may 17 for our trip.

I know hibbing is like 75 miles from crane but the majority of lake in the hibbing area don't have ice on them as of today.

thanks Sush...I spoke to a Guide on Crane Mike Schwanke and he said  Ice will be out for opener...looks like decent weather nights and days...the web cams are showing some open water. Pine point Webcam their bay is open and Handbergs dock has open water but still locked up. You can open water in main body of water where the flow is. Voyaeagaire Webcam is still  is still  locked up..but getting dark. By previous reports it has went from ice out prediction of May 17 to may 13 now to maybe may 11. Sure hope it is open for the opener for all the guys planning that weekend. Our group is breathing easy now ...we head up may 17

Ice took a beating this week at Crane....open water in several areas. I would estimate by webcams ice out by Tuesday

Looks like it went out today. I even see a boat at the dock at Handbergs. A little ice floating but that's it 

Yes Ice went out May 4 ..A boat in at Handbergs and pontoon at Pine Point...The last ice to go out was in front of Voyagaires webcam...that was late afternoon. It went very fast last week... Thanks for the note Dusty..tight lines

with the weather being cold till now are the slot fish deep or shallow. cant remember from years past but I think the keepers came from the deeps.

good question....we will be checking out the shallow sand close to drops in the evening and moving water in the day

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Kabetogama Fishing Report 5-10-18

Hi folks – here’s the latest update on the Kab Ice conditions.

There is none! When I left 2 weeks ago to visit my son coming off deployment, i would have never thought we would be ice free and ready to go this weekend.. Mother nature has her ways of rewarding us and she did just that. All types of waterfowl, including hundreds of loons are around in full force so while on the water this weekend you will have more than just the fish to enjoy.

Opener weekend highs should be in mid 60’s daytime and overnight 40’s, so this should be pleasant.

The fishing report each week will have a different feel to it as we will have Crabby Phil's tip of the week including reports from area guides. This should give all of you an excellent idea of how to prepare the before you hit your favorite lake!

CRABBY PHIL’S TIP OF THE WEEK

Get your ball head jigs out, sharpen the hooks and get the eyes opened and paint free. Use the lightest jig you can fish comfortably with, depending on wind and your equipment try to keep in the 1/4 and 3/8 size.

Fish tend to be spoiled a little early on as ice out usually accompanies walleye spawning.

Northern pike will be done spawning and may be quite active and might be a nuisance for walleye anglers.

Get your boat and tackle ready, the show opens in just a couple days!

We will follow with an update after the weekend.

Good luck everyone and stay safe.

Gateway General Store...

• Thanks 1

thanks Rick....how about the bays. are they free also ?    Any late word on Crane and Sand Point

Shallow bays are usually the first to open up, unless it's a deep bay like Walker Bay on Leech lake.

Kab is entirely ice free, and I know Namakan is open all the way to Kettle Falls from Kab.

• Thumbs Up 1

To say the 2018 fishing season started with a bang would be an understatement.

With just about everyone catching limits of fish it could be one of the best openers in years.  Most years the start of the season on Kab can be a head scratcher, but not this one.  Fish were being found in most depths and were hungry to say the least.

Dock and shoreline anglers seemed to fair best with the bigger fish and those in a little deeper water were finding more of the eater variety.  If you could find shiners at your local bait shop, you got lucky as very few had them.  Even though shiners were producing more fish, all minnow types did well.  Jig fishing was by far your best option.  Tip your favorite jig with any minnow you could find and it was game on!  All techniques were working whether you were jigging under a bobber, over the side of the boat or pitching the shorelines.  Early and late in the day were peak times to be on the water but there was a consistent bite throughout the day which made for a few sunburned faces and tired anglers.  

Northern pike were a nuisance as usual, but it was the size that made the difference.  Last years pesky 20 inchers are now that perfect 23-26 inch eater size and no one is complaining losing a few minnows to them.

Throw in the almost perfect weather and we had a banner start to which could be shaping up to be one of the best years we have seen on Kab!  The only negative aspect to the great weather is we are extremely dry so bonfires need to be kept in check.  Check with local authorities before having a fire as we were in a critical fire warning designated area yesterday.

With the late ice out waterfowl including hundreds of loons, are still migrating through which is making for some great bird watching while catching fish or enjoying a boat ride.  A few pelicans have made an appearance but it is obvious they are behind schedule as well.

Let's hope the fishing continues to be as hot as the the weather forecast!  Be safe out there, it's a long season and we are all just getting our boats in the water for the first time.  It may take a few boat rides to get our sea legs under us again!

On a final note make sure to pop your head into Gateway General as we have a new look and a lot more to offer.  Made to order subs have been a big hit as well as our hand scooped ice cream and new F'real ice cream machine that can make you a smoothie, milkshake or iced coffee!  We also have expanded our tackle, groceries, hardware and gift selection.  We have also have begun to add some award winning wildlife mounts done by Bob Christensen with more on the way.  It's your one stop place on the way to the cabin or before you go out on the lake!

Hope to see you soon!

Jason and Robyn
Gateway General

• Thanks 1

The action has been very good almost everywhere on Kab. One group of four guys caught over 30 walleyes off the dock last night, including a 26 1/4" dandy.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Satchmo are the shiners up shallow? Thanks for the report.

9 minutes ago, Rick said:

@Satchmo are the shiners up shallow? Thanks for the report.

Not that I've heard yet, but they should move up into Tom Cod Bay soon. Sounds like everyone is doing well, no matter what minnows they are using. I won't get up there until Memorial weekend, but several of my buddies have been doing very well at various depths. The shallows are yielding most of the bigger fish. Dock fishing has been superb all along the south shore.

• Thanks 1

Well, spent Thursday and Friday on Kab for my first time ever. It's a beautiful lake, the weather on the other hand could have been better for camping. It poured both nights, and during the day it seemed like it was either windy, rainy, or both. Unfortunately we didn't have much luck and didn't boat a walleye. We fished around Bittersweet Island and that general part of the lake, and fished at varying times, depths and presentations. About the only thing we didn't try was fishing around sunrise.

Talked to a grizzled vet of the lake at the landing on Saturday. He said sometimes the strange weather patterns turn the fish off up there. I'm going to go with that excuse - we had a great time but was certainly disheartening after hearing how great the fishing was on Opener to have such poor luck.  

Will definitely be up there again though. Beautiful area.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry you got shut out.  Any two days any time of year can find that happening to anyone.  Sounds like you need to come back for a week one day.

21 hours ago, Uncle Boney said:

Sorry you got shut out.  Any two days any time of year can find that happening to anyone.  Sounds like you need to come back for a week one day.

I spoke to a buddy who was at Sag over the weekend, and my dad who was fishing a lake a bit north of Leech - none of them had much luck on walleye. I'm chalking it up to a walleye blackout across the northern part of the state. I just need an excuse for the rest of the trips I take!

We're talking about coming up again in the fall. I definitely would like to come back for a longer trip, there is so much more of the lake to explore

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to 2020 Crane Lake - Lake Kabetogama-Namakan Lake Fishing Reports