• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• tacklejunkie

• Surface Tension

• reinhard1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decided to switch it up and try for panfish today and got a nice mix bag of slabs, big gills, perch and a few walleyes... The only spot I found fish was right on a breakline going from 6-10ft out from

Got out and found some nice wallys and a pile of jumbos.

1st piggy of the year already, going to be a good year.

Posted Images

This is such a downer, what with all the bluebird weather we've been having and now all this wet snow...I feel like the season is shot already..if we get a few days of below zero weather, will that shore up the ice any?

Someone inspire me! cry

Early Riser

I was just reviewing my journals for a little perspective on this winter's progression.

I am not too worried about these current conditions. It will work out for the lake ice. I remember waiting nervously for ice fishing Lake Trout season opener in the BWCA Jan 1 when we lived in Hovland wondering if I could get into the big border lakes that first day.

I still can almost always make it into where I want to go for the BWCA trout opener; but some years the ice is not good enough for a week or so after the first of the year. Even in those late cold years we stillI have until March 31 for some of the best ice fishing anyone could imagine.

It was far warmer than average until 12/27/1993 when the high temp reached 32f. That afternoon it started snowing and the temp dropped to -26f by the next morning. It did not get above zero for daytime highs until January 18th. That day it was -17f when we left to go out fishing at 7:30 AM. I was out fishing all day without wearing gloves because it felt so warm by the time it got to zero. The very next day it got back down to -27f with a strong NW wind to go with it. Many days during that cold spell the daytime highs, even down by Lake Superior in Grand Portage where I worked at the time were hovering around -20f.

It started out pretty mild with no signifiant snow over 1" since 12/19/1995. Then after New Year we had snow storm after snow storm, including a single storm that started 1/16/1996 lasted almost three days. At the end of it all it was -10f, windy from the NE, and snowing to beat the band. By 1/19/1996 it had dumped 23" of snow. Tower MN broke the cold record fairly late in February that year. Our thermometer at the house inland from Lake Superior bottomed at -40 so I don't know how cold it got below that. We were ice fishing far into Lake Superior well into early April that spring. The ice wasn't gone from even the small lakes until 5/20, and I noted finding piles of snow in the woods and piled in places along the roads on 6/1. So be careful what you wish for, unless you, like me, like the type of variation that often occurs in MN.

The same thing happens many years with the heavy snow coming before the big lakes are ready for snowmachine travel. The weight of the snow will push down the ice, flood it, and then it will refreeze. You will still find pockets of slush, but once a few folks run through them with their high powered sleds they will reset for some solid travel routes into the back country.

All we need now is the cold between now and the first week of January. It could come later. Just remember the phrase: "When the days get longer the cold gets stronger."

Jack Stasney

Well said by Early Riser. If we had 8 inches of ice and then got 18 inches of snow, it would take days of -20 weather to refreeze and the lakes would become impassible. Eventually some would open roads, but the second you went off the path it'd be slush city. I think we'll be okay as EA said. There is not enough ice to hold this heavy wet snow and not so much that you'll have an insulating layer above the slush that will no doubt be out there.

• 2 weeks later...
arctic_scrap1

5-6 inches on Tamarack, near Wright, MN. Lots of slush, though. The top of the slush is froze but you break through everywhere you go with an atv.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Surface Tension

7" of good ice + layer of frozen slush from the weekend rain is what I'm seeing in the Twig area.

arctic_scrap1

Around 10" of good ice + around 2" of not so good ice[the slush that was on a lot of the area lakes] on Eagle Lake near Cromwell. Saw a small truck out there. Also saw a couple of cars and a small truck on Island Lake, also in Cromwell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
live4chrome

Anyone have a snow report for the local lakes

I want to try boulder tomorow but dont want tobdrive all the way up there to find i cant get out with my jeep

Surface Tension

Driving cross county on area lakes can be done just watch out for snow drifts.

Bring good shovel just in case. If that doesn't get you out, drill a hole at a 45 degree angle but not all the way through and use a 6' 6x6 as an anchor for a comealong.

• 3 months later...
tmg1brandt

Hi all, does anyone have any information about how the fishing has been along the shore from Duluth to around McQuade's landing? What have you caught, on what, what depths, etc? Thank you very much...just wanting to know when the time is right to make the trip.

LoonASea

I would wait till the construction is done for the lakewalk expansion (Grandmas marathon weekend it should be finished) We got skunked last time we fished the McQuade area but the water was cold then ,,,Im sure the fish will be around shortly after the marathon and maybe the mud will settle by then too

Northlander

Some friends did real well on lakers out from the Lester in 140' of water with sticks yesterday.

tacklejunkie

Some friends did real well on lakers out from the Lester in 140' of water with sticks yesterday.

Off boards or Downriggers?

JasonAkers

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good perch / walleye fishing in the Grand Marais / Lutsen Area? I will be traveling up next week and staying in a cabin on Caribou but I've heard mixed reports about the fishing there. I'm sure with the pure amount of lakes in the area there are good walleye and perch lakes but since I'm not familiar with them thought I would ask here. I will have my boat with me so I'm not isolated to the shore.

Thanks!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Check out the post on Tofte area. Crescent Lake was hot for me over memorial weekend. The fish should be shallow still. Lots of great lakes in the area to try.

• 1 month later...

Spent a few hours fishing from the Two Harbors Breakwall earlier this week. Caught 5 Coho in that time, and missed / lost a few others. Nothing happening on spoons and jigs at any depth, for anyone I saw. Lots of fish being caught on crawlers and minnows under bobbers.

Never would have considered bobber fishing for salmon had I not read some posts on here. Once again, FM helps me out. Cooked up three for the group on the grill that night, and brought home 2 for later.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

I was up on Basswood near Pipestone Bay over the weekend. We caught lots of fish in 2 days of fishing we ended up with 43 walleyes, 27 rock bass, 11 pike, and 3 smallmouth and 4 perch. The walleyes were mostly small in the 10-13 inch range, however I did catch a 29 incher on Saturday. The boat I was in released all the fish we caught. Our group had 3 boats up there and they did about the same except no one else caught any big walleyes. Jigging with leeches was the key for sure. If you used a crawlers rock bass were all over it.

• 4 weeks later...

Been spending more time on Island Lake recently. Size of the 'eyes are on the small size, but with lots of sorting have had some very nice eaters.

Also have been having decent luck finding some respectable Croppies and Perch as "by-catch" not too terribly far from one of the launch ramps.

Another good weekend on Island Lake. Jigging minnows between 13-20' has produced good mixed bag results. Some of the Croppies are very respectable size and weight.

Boat traffic is way down and depending where you are fishing, there could be only one more boat in the area.

• 4 months later...
ladyfishfinder

Birch lake has some nice roads plowed out now it has been slow maybe now with change of weather it will pick up

• 3 weeks later...

What's the condition on hanging horn is it drivable every where or is the snow to deep? Any help would be much appreciate.

You can never drive on Hanging Horn out of the Public access. Theres a shallow river you have to drive on. Only way to get around out there is with a Snowmobile. Just got 14" of snow.

• 2 months later...
Surface Tension

Rice Lake May 18.

Water temp 48.

Sluggish bite but managed to release a pair of 22" eyes and keep a handful in the 15-16" range.

Spinners w/worms or chub. Some nice perch and a couple pike to boot.

full-831-45936-rice222tim.jpg

full-831-45937-rice22frank.jpg

Surface Tension

The fish is the subject in the photo so why not put the emphasis there.

I stated the size so that puts it into perspective and just wanted a quick shot for a quick release.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Sue Baker
      By Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)

Thanks and enjoy your adventures.
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      any idea when the tullibee might star biting off stony point on leech............i'd sure like to give that a go again.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Been awhile since I posted. Hope everyone had a great season ice fishing. I have been chasing pike mainly with the Aqua Vu this year and trying different baits. Pulled out the 5 of Diamonds to end the season. Who remembers this one. Anyone use it ice fishing. Thought I Share.

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      A little long winded but I'm excited to share.
      Got out on Tonka 4 times this week. Yes, I'm retired. 😀 Bought the Milwaukee 2803-33 and put it on a 6" lazer hand auger that I've had for 20 years but have never used it since I have a gasser too. Very impressed by that set up. Also gave the LiveScope a good work out.
      Monday afternoon found the sunfish and crappie suspended over a 40-foot hole. Saw fish with the LiveScope with the first set of holes and drilled a few more to get on top of them. Kept 3 of each for fish sandwiches.
      Tuesday afternoon in the same hole but near the ridge that connects shore to an offshore reef. Mostly sunfish there but a few crappie too. All released.
      Yesterday started an hour before sunrise and fished a small 12 foot-hole that I started fishing around 1970. Caught sunfish, crappies, largemouth and lost an ~8# carp at the bottom of the hole. Had it played out and laying sideways at the bottom of my 6" hole. Trying to get it started up the hole and my 4# test line broke with a new 4 mm tungsten glow wonder bread jig in its lip. Looked at the flasher and they was another fish. Grabbed the other rod with a 1/16 oz jointed pinhead minnow on it and fired it down the hole to be immediately consumed by a 12" crappie. All fish released.
      This morning fished the small hole again at the same time. Sunfish and crappies. Largest crappie was 11 7/8. No sunfish over 7". Just drilled 3 holes in the spot with the most fish from yesterday. Two for fishing, one for the LiveScope and set the house up. It's fun seeing fish creeping in from 8 feet away and you can definitely tell the different sizes of fish on the LiveScope.
      Reminisced on some of the times I've fished this hole over the years with friends and family.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Son and I decided one last trip before ice melt on Rush. Lots of slush at access, probably unpassable by next weekend with 40 to 50 deg. temps next week. 25" ice with 4" packed snow on fishing area. No hot spot just area with 30 so wheel/skid shacks. Drilled a few around orange marker found nothing, flasher lit up at blue marker suspended 15 to 28 ft. 36 FOW. Bite non existing put everything down, colors, plastic, variety. Got 3 at 9 to 11 inch. Talked to several anglers, same results. Love the floor I built for the flip no water/slush everything dry. 

• gimruis
      By gimruis
      If you intend to fish past Sunday, you'll need a new 2021 angling license.

Additionally, the deadline to remove permanent/overnight fish houses is Monday in the southern half of the state.  If found unattended over night beyond the deadline, enforcement officials can confiscate the house itself.
    • 7sixes
      By 7sixes
      Hey all...I am a noob ice fisherman and want to be as safe as possible...

The lakes around my area have about 2 feet of ice and the warm weather the past few days has me nervous driving my Ford Ranger on the ice...

I am assuming that I should not be concerned yet BUT I just wanted some reassurance before I go this evening.

*There is no major flow in the lake FYI*

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is asked too much!
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Coho Salmon are unlike any fish I've ever targeted. There's not a ton of opportunities to catch these fish through the ice, so to be able to do that makes it that much cooler. Went went out on Lake Superior near Duluth, MN. This was on Sunday. Such a cool experience! 

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A warm up triggered some nice walleyes and saugers up on Lake of the Woods this week.  A mix of walleyes and saugers with some pike, perch, eelpout and tullibees being caught in 29-33 feet.  Using a bait with rattles or vibration to attract fish is helpful.  On the deadstick, try a glow hook with a live minnow or even a glow bead above the hook.  Set bait 6 inches to a foot off of the bottom.  Try gold, glow colors, chartreuse and pink good color choices this week.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish as well as how fish are reacting to your presentation.  
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite producing some walleyes on the river.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  Use caution and work through a resort, outfitter or gain info from a bait shop as there is current and areas not fit for travel on the river.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A lot of nice walleyes caught up at the Angle this week with a mix of other species.  Walleyes in 24 - 30' of water.  Some resorts are fishing on or adjacent to structure, others fishing deep mud.  Some resorts are fishing the deep mud.  Some anglers catching walleyes with small jigs tipped with a plastic that mimics bugs and worms in mud.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Hookmaster
      Averaged 18" with a range of 16"-20". Starting tomorrow I should get out everyday while the access holds up.
    • gimruis
      I am sure there will still be safe enough ice to venture on next weekend.  The forecast looks way more like spring starting tomorrow than winter though.  As far as I can see, its nothing but 40's and even 50 in a week.  Its going to make for a sloppy mess out there, but it will still be safe enough to walk on.  The access point could be in rough shape though.   Bear in mind that most game fish seasons have now closed as of yesterday.  The only season open now is panfish.  Specifically targeting a walleye, northern pike, or bass is illegal and could get you in big trouble.  There are exceptions (mainly on some border rivers), so I would encourage you to check the regulations ahead of time.
    • Fishing DA Range and nort
      i skipped the first weekend since 2021.  My kid went out and caught 4 pike sunday.   Shallow.
    • Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)   Thanks and enjoy your adventures.
    • gimruis
      There was an article in the Star Tribune about the operating costs of public natural resource agencies and their loss of revenue yesterday.  Its quite obvious based on the chart provided that the number of people participating is slowly declining and operating costs are staying steady or slowing going up.  There was also a projection given and if its accurate, operating costs will exceed revenue in 2025.  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  Creating obstacles, whether they may seem small in the grand scheme of things in terms of an overall budget, will make an impact.   2020 was different because there was a surplus of people participating in outdoor activities referred to as "the covid crowd" but that is not expected to continue.
    • Hookmaster
      bobberineyes, Did they have the Federal Waterfowl stamp?
    • gimruis
      How many inches of ice is out there?  I think there will be open open water in a month based on the current forecast.  Especially if we get a couple days of rain in.
    • smurfy
      any idea when the tullibee might star biting off stony point on leech............i'd sure like to give that a go again.
    • smurfy
      so it looks like i'm gonna be bailing on the kitty GTG. my perch trip got changed to that same day due to the weather forecast and the real possibility of iffy ice at that time......was planned for march 27th. this is a real bummer........as i was really looking forward to actually meeting up face to face with a bunch of you guys.   but if i have to choose between fishing catfish over going north to the cabin and chasing perch on winnie then chasing crappies or sunfish on lakes like bowstring ....i'm heading north every time.
    • Rick
      Preliminary results of a study testing white-tailed deer spleens for presence of neonicotinoid pesticides show exposure of deer throughout the state, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.