• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Joe

Please post your fishing reports or questions to fishing reports here..

Everyone feel free to chime in with fishing reports, ice conditions , questions about the fishing etc.

Thanks smile

ICE_KING

not sure which end of the bdub your talking about, but the gunflint side has been slow!!! most groups ive talked to fishing from north of bearskins all the way up to canadian side of sag have said about the same thing, one maybe... dont know if its just the weather or what not but i havent got anything yet and just a couple lookers. be trying to find some lakers here in the next week maybe one more time then ill be switching to pike and walters until my rabc comes in then ill go to canadia for the great fishin!

Mike Stark

im curious if anyone as heard any reports from knife or thomas

Mudcutter

about a week late,, but ; hit a lake about 15-20 miles from GM on Sat and did quite well for lakers. Limited out too quick, wish we had let some of the smaller ones go.

Sunday- fished some new water, not much. That night, went for walleyes. Ended up coming in with alot of slush, and alot of work moving sleds/ etc. to get in. all for a 11" eye. Not worth it. Stay on the deeper lakes, as they seem to have froze over later to prevent all the snow and slush that accumulated on the shallower lakes that iced up earlier.

The lake that we fished for eyes is ruined for winter. Totally a mess when it comes to moving anything, even walking in it was a workout.

Might be a good opener lake thou,, in JUne with the way the weather is going.

JBMasterAngler

Mudcutter, do you go to grand marais in june? I think I know which lakes you are talking about.

Bassboy1645

The slush and snow are deep but the willys are looking. you can get a few in the half hour bite but there 15-18 inch avg with alot of smaller fish. Every now and then a bigger fish comes through and the possibility is real for a 3 or four pound fish. the last few days have slowed the eyes down and alot of them are slow to come light to bite if at all. Last night I saw nine fish and missed 2. Can you guess the lake?? Good cuz im not saying lol

Comment

Write a comment...

fishinfey8

Fished Island Res. the other day and got four waldo's. All were in the 12-15 in. range. Oh ya, and I was only out there for a hour and a half and only fished maybe an hr. due to moving around to find my spot. All in all not too bad of an outing...

jlarson

anything on fish lake lately?? what part of island were you on??

digsfisher

Howdy,

Will be fishing out of Sawbill in June, seeing what helpful info I can find on a handfull of lakes: Temperance, Little Sag, Frost, Pan, Malberg, Koma and Lake Polly. Any success? What good in early June? Thanks!

JBMasterAngler

digfisher, e-mail me, I can help you out. goldglover81 at yahoo dot com

digsfisher

shot ya an email, thanks for your help!

ICE_KING

Gunflint Trail BWCA sure has been producing! Just before we got the bad weather last night and today i managed to hook into three really nice lakers!!! Patterns did not seem to affect the fish because they were extremely aggresive!

-First One 30'' ~9-10lbs

IMG_0203.jpg

Next one was bigger at 36'' ~12lbs

Lakers007.jpg

Finally having a decent Day and not falling through the ice, thats what im talking about! Ill be out again prob tuesday or wednesday maybe sooner to the same spot and hopefully more lakers!

DMJ84

Any one been out on Greenwood lake for walleyes? and is there slush on the lake?

splakeshaker

Nice fish Ice King. Looks like ya can feed the whole family(a few times). I gotta get out and chase some lakers. Is it bog stain that causes such a dark coloration? I've caught lakers on Gunflint Lake and they looked just like that.

splakeshaker

Hey Ice King, Hows the ice conditions up the trail? Is it slushy? I'm thinking about heading up early Thursday morning.

ICE_KING

Splake shaker, the slush is almost non existent. Didnt find any in the two spots i tried but im sure if you look hard enough youll find some... Yea those fish were a blast cant wait to get out again this week! I was actually thinking thursday too, but maybe wednesday. Hopefully get another one of those bad boys cause he sure tatsed great!

Steve Foss

Splakeshaker, it's not bog stain that causes the color. Or at least not only that. I've caught lakers on Burntside, which is very clear and unstained except for a few of the bays, that were nearly black. Interestingly, the only ones that dark were over 6-8 pounds. All of the smaller fish I've caught on Bside were lighter than that.

Ice King, really nice lakers. Did you weigh that 36-inch fish?

ICE_KING

Yea steve she was about 12 pounds(my scales a little chinsy). It was a blast though! Probably ties for first place for funnest fish to catch with spring run steelies on the shore. Ill be out again for sure this week and hope to get some more...

caseymcq

Splakeshaker, it's not bog stain that causes the color. Or at least not only that. I've caught lakers on Burntside, which is very clear and unstained except for a few of the bays, that were nearly black. ...

I caught this one on Lower Manitou. That lake is almost gin clear, no bog stain at all and this fish was almost as dark as night.

blacklakerrszac3.jpg

JBMasterAngler

Yeah, lake trout are kinda' funny like that. Maybe it's similar to how a smallmouth bass is chameleon like, they change color with their surroundings. I've caught lakers out of superior and greenwood that were light silvery gray, and then out of gunflint or grindstone they were dark brown. Kinda' cool.

splakeshaker

Pretty cool. I was just surprised to see them so dark. I guess I was expecting a lighter color. Thanks for the input.

BigCohoe1

whats the ice like on greenwood and gunflint? should i bring the square stern with the Johnson or the pickup?

fishermn

Ice_King, I recognize where you were staying and fishing. I'll be up there in a couple weeks. Were you out on the main part of the lake? Was there any slush in the big wide open areas? Looks like a couple nice fish, congrats!

ICE_KING

Yea fishermn i dont stay there i actually work there so... From what ive heard over the weekend and seen fishing been slow all the way into canada and sag/saganagons. Plan on water and slush if we dont get a deep deep cold freeze cause we are still hitting deep slush even today. Snow helped the main trails and the corridor alot but sleds are the only way. I plan on doing some fishing for lakers/eyes/whities/ciscoes/burbout/ whatever bites this week/weekend so ill keep all posted up!TTYL

caseynewberg

Looking to head up to trout lake off vermilion anyone doing any good out there?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Fishing remains consistently strong on the Minnesota side this week. Many species are quick to bite leaving anglers with a very mixed bag at the end of the day. We saw multiple 40+ inch Northern, many Perch, even a Lake Trout among an already strong Walleye bite. 22-24 ft on gravel bottom surrounded by mud has been our best spots. Be sure to charge up any Glow tackle in use, with the increasing snow cover, glow or lighted lures have been hot. Pink/white and gold are also very effective on sunny days.
      The Canadian bite just keeps getting better! Crappies can be found in 30 foot holes while 22-26 ft flats on break lines have been hot for a Sauger/Walleye mix.
      Remember to stick to well-traveled trails as most have not been staked/marked as of yet.
      Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• jtnjenn
      By jtnjenn
      What are ice depths in the metro right now?
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• BIGFISH.JZ
      Thanks, I sent him an email, asking for some info. From what I saw of his work, he seems to specialize in birds and mammals. I don't know if I saw any finished fish photos. I'm a pretty picky taxidermy customer and really liked the work done by Bryce at Game Over. He actually did the preserving of a majority of the states panfish for lots of other taxidermists, using his freeze dry method. So I would really like to find somebody else that has a freeze dry system. Could you please send me a pic of your finished crappie? Thanks again.
    • BIGFISH.JZ
      Larger lake had good ice yet. I was actually able to drive off the landing and probably could have drove to my spot but the lake is over 100' deep and my spot wasn't far from the landing. Just as I was expecting I got 1 whitefish at about 8:30pm and as the orange colored moon was just starting to peek above the horizon I got a fat 15.25" crappie that will join the other Crappies on my wall.
    • leech~~
      I have 6 fish done by him on my wall. 1-15 1/4 Crappie.    Mike's Taxidermy Taxidermist in Andover, Minnesota Address: 16721 Valley Dr NW, Andover, MN 55304 Phone: (763) 422-2007
    • BIGFISH.JZ
      I'm in the market for a new fish taxidermist... Any recomendations? 
    • MinDak Hunter
      On a lake by Cold Spring tonight, walking was a little tough.
    • chaffmj
      I heard Big Dave has faith in what he can't see! Just joking Big D! 😀
    • PRO-V
      I'm just helping my friend that does it. Last year was real poor. Just starting to run and have about 65 gallons so far.
    • smurfy
      As far as I am concerned you can go anywhere you want!! Just keep an eye on snow depth and ice reports!!!😉   Just curious, how much syrup you usually get or do? 
    • PRO-V
      We're on federal land and another spot on county land.
    • smurfy
      One year we had someone tap some trees on our property. Dallas trail. Wasn't a big deal to me, thought it was cool!