• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thursday and saturday night we found the crappies on Rush on the WFC, very shallow, 2 FOW at the most, but they are very concentrated, when you find one, you will probally find a school. Thursday night water temps were 57, and they were aggressive, just crappie minnows and corks, fished 8 to 10 inches below the surface.

Lakeside, we will be up there, but we are not on the chain - just east of town on a tiny lake, the long and narrow one. Oldest is alomst twelve, but I will also have my 11yo nephew and my 6 yo Grandson up there. Those are my "opener partners" going on about our 5th annual Opener Party smile Before them it was more a "big boy" opener, but these younger guys are a hoot! wink I have three younger Granddaughters that are just a bit too much to handle by myself, and my wife says the opener is for the boys, and she takes the girls when it is warmer, ha! But yep, teaching them all is great fun, I sure get practice taking fish off lines on the dock and untangling lines all summer long, ha!

Traxx, thanks will try a bit deeper on Friday evening.

Mudpig, were you on a bay catching those? My bro-in-law has place in the bay and he got skunked but his neighbor got a few dandies, Ithink pretty shallow like you were, but that is pretty shallow bay back there, and dark.

Yea very shallow dark bottom bay on the west side of rush, I think the big girls are really moving in. The last time we were out there, we anchored up on our spot, and starting pulling fish, then ol' man river and his wife came out on there dock, right where we were fishing, and they started casting their lines right across ours, without a care in the world. So we got mad and left, I mean where is the etiquette? couldnt we have at least shared that spot? frustrating.

oh mudpig that is when you tilt the motor and point it towards them and give them a klensing!!! Yeah I had this happen to me but from shore last weekend at the bait box.....cast out to an area and a bobber would land right next to mine and there were only 3 of us in the bay!!! nice to hear ya caught some fish....I am coming up thurs-sat and bringing a few buddies to paint the cabin and do some crappie fishing so it is nice to know once we get in the boat there are fish out ther biting other than the community spots......

Like traxxx said (the lake I was fishing anyway), the fish are still out on the break line. Pounded them yesterday (aprox 150 in 3 hrs) Most were small males but a few nice females mixed in. Only kept 2 limits between 3 guys but boy did we have a blast. Cant wait till the big girls move up. Should be within a few days (water temp now at 52 deg). Hope it happens before I leave for Vegas cuz it only lasts for a couple days and there out again.

Duk

Mud Pig....I think I met you at the boat launch on Saturday night. I recall the same story about the line crossing incident.

DUCKJ,

Where you on Gull last night? We were in a Lund with three little kids and a dog. I think we might have fished beside you guys.

Yesterday, on the spot we've been fishing, the fish had moved from the deeper water up into the shallows. The bigger fish seemed to be relating to shallow structure in the 3'-6' range. When the water was flat calm we had to use more of a slow pull to get them to trigger.

fishin magician, yea we talked for a bit at the landing, did you guys get on some more fish this past weekend? This week we were basically out scoping new spots, not much to speak of, there was a huge school behind the baitbox, mostly small males and alot of small bass, but they werent even really biting. Checked the channel between goodrich and o'brian, cold water and no fish there either. So, we will continue the hunt for old hog lips.

Things are really starting to pop around here. Around the shop guys are reporting some pretty nice action on a variety of lakes. The crappies are going now and everyone is getting excited. It should be an awesome weekend. Some of the hot spots have been the Gull Lake narrows, Lake Margaret or basically anywhere on the chain, Green lake down in Wilson Bay, the Bays on Pelican, and the Whitefish Chain. And I am sure there are many more spots out there that are getting good now. Puddle Jumpers are slamming the nice crappies again this year. Another good jig has been the Northland Fire Fly tipped with a minnow. Plus lots of sunfish out there too. Just grab a small box of wax worms. They always do the trick on the big sunfish. Have fun this weekend, it should be a good one.

Jason Erlandson

MNUser, If you were fishing next to a crestliner with Musky Nut on the side of it, Yep that was me. How did you do after we left?

Did the kids have some fun, looked like they were. Kept hearing dad look at this one look at this one. I wil have one or two of my kids out on Sat. Maby the big girls will move in by then.

Duck

We planned on going out Sunday but the rain came and that made up our minds. We were happy with our success from the weekend so we didn't have to go out again and pound the water.

Good Luck

That was us. I remember the Musky Nut logo on the side of the boat. The kids had a blast. They must have caught 60-70 of them. We ended letting them all go to swim another day. When you have three kids in the boat you get pretty good at untangling lines!

I put a few calls out there this morning for redtails and river chubs. I'll keep you posted on the results. The shiner situation should be pretty good. The leeches and crawlers have started coming in. The ones that we received yesterday were dandies. I think we will be in good shape all around. Now if the weather cooperates that'll make it even better.

Jason Erlandson

I hear ya on the line tangles. Ill be taking a couple of the kids out on Sat if they want to go. This meens I wont be fishing all that much. Hopefully the females move in and we can get a crack at em before I head to Vegas.

Good luck this season.

Duck

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

How's the pannies comming along in the area?

We are going to be out and about tomorrow as well. A buddy and I are going in the morning to try a couple other lakes. The kids want to go back in the afternoon so I'm going to try to find a spot a little less busy. We may be back.....

Very slow this mornig. Got around 20 in 4 hours(lots of small males). Scratched out a limit for dinner tonight but it was tough. Forgot my cuz is getting married tomarrow so fishing is out for me. Maby Sunday if the weather isnt to bad. Good luck tomarrow.

Duck

Small off the chain lake in Crosslake is about 53.5 degrees today. Caught some crapps but not many. Old timer says he thinks it is still about 2-3 weeks before they really pop. My Grandson (6) did catch a 16.5" smallie, and that was cool! (took pic and threw back, of course).

Sat night he told me, "Grandpa lets go fish off the dock." I siad, "we didn't catch much all day, so they just aren't biting" he says, "but I want to fish". So of course I take him down there ... and we caught 7 fish in first seven casts!!! 4 crappies, 2 bass and a pike... hahaha! he is my new guide! Ha! It was right before dark. Maybe that is time for the crapps, wish I had time to stay and try that again tonight!

I'm not an 'old timer', at least I hope not, but I agree that the best crappie action on the Chain is at least a week away. I learned from a genuine old time expert (Larry Fox of what was Fox Hunter Lodge and for whom Fox Bay was named) said that the crappies bite best when the maple leaves are the size of a squirls ear. My experience says it is a pretty good rule of thumb. BTW, I've been fishing them on Fox Bay for 40 years now.

Slab, not really. Not tiny, but in the 9-10 range.

Unrelated, was on WBL today and managed a bunch with a couple 12's and 13's in there.

how did everyone do for opener? i myself had my limit in a little under 45 minutes with 5 or 6 throw backs.

I am out in Wisconsin for a few more days of college but I talked to my dad who was out on hole in the day on gull and ended up with an 18.5 and a 15 inch. Both were caught before sun up. Never had a bite after light broke. He said it was "slow" and only saw one other fish boated.

Fished Gull today with fellow FM'er Mudpig. We found the fish relating to weeds in 9-13 FOW. Lindys with spot tail shiners worked for us. Water temps were 46-48 on the main lake.

I heard of a guy that had his limit in 43 minutes, but he is a fishing machine. But, seriously, we had a slow day. Just once could it be 65, partly cloudy, w/ a warm 10mph breeze out of the SW. Just good to be on the water, out of the house, catching a few fish, and good conversation.

we hit gull at 10 am and had our best luck between noon and 1. All shallow, less than 10 feet. Went out again tonight in the same area and only hit a couple.

Hoping to hear a report on pelican. I'd like to try that tomorrow. Any word?

ccarlson