• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any fishing reports? Thinking about skipping out of work on Thursday and chasing some crappies with a buddy. Is it a little to early? That is always the question.

Is Margaret open yet? Has to be close. I would think you can get into the Margaret from the channel by now.

Thanks for the link. Is this view from the North shore looking South, positioned about where the Loon's nest is in the summer?

Cragun's has a web cam - look at the link on their website with "today's weather".

Also Grandview Lodge at the bottom of their home page has a webcam link.

I would say Lower Hay looks just about open if not all the way. I would say Gull is going to be dang close by the weekend. At least better then last year with the ice off the lakes only days before opener.

Really, from the looks of the webcam there appears to be quite a bit of ice left. Is your post from personal inspection of the lake or the webcam as well?

We were hoping to put the docks in on Friday but that would require the lake to be pretty much 100% ice free. Fingers crossed!

Was on MB tonight. First run of the boat and all went well. We struck out. Talked to two other boats out there that did not catch anything as well. Beautiful night on the water!

Looks as if Gull is really close(per webcams). Lots of dark ice and open spots. With the warm temps and high winds today, it should make some serious headway.

Lower Hay by the looks on the Web Cam has a good chunck of ice still on it.....can't tell for sure but there appears to be open water out past the sheet of ice...if that is the case it should go fast!!

How do you like living up there. You seem younger and was wondering because I think my girlfriend and I are moving up there!

Went by Hole in the Day today and there is still ice in the middle of the lake. This wind should take care of that in no time. Most other lakes are open.

Was out on whitefish tonight. some ice blown up against the shore but I'd consider it open from what I saw. Didn't cruise the whole thing, just from clamshell, bertha, middle wf etc.

Nothing but a few bass biting. nice night to be out though and feel the warm wind as we were cruising. Water temps varied widely from mid 50's in some parts to upper 40's in others.

ccarlson

Great area to live and play. I have lived in different areas of the US over my short life span (46) but I ended up coming back to this area. Homes are readily available in all locations and prices seem to have leveled off. North of Brainerd is a great location as you are close to multiple lakes for rec, fishing, hunting or? Good paying jobs are thin at this time. Great rural area to raise kids / family.

Gull is mostly if not all open.

Fished margaret and Upper gull last night, not much going on. Water temps ranged from 45-57. Great to be out!

BHS

I will third that,tons to do and lots of fun.I'm 31 and am here to stay after moving back twice.If you are going to buy a home I would suggest hunting down some foreclosures they are all over and cheap.WJ is right jobs are tough to come by and not getting any better.

Well I work for an airline and commute out of Brainerd and my girlfriend is a nurse so hopefully she could find a job around!

FYI - My little lake in Crosslake was 50.8 degrees this morning at about 10. No fish biting, but was raining. My Grandson "had" to go fishing smile so we did until we got cold. Maybe by next weekend they might start popping better.

Box - Thanks for the update. Are you going to be on Cross for the Opener, or staying home? (check out my locations). How old is your grandson? Mine are 5, 3 and 2. What a joy is is to teach kids to fish all over again!

The fish are still holding out a bit deeper in 7-12 fow. wink Keep moving til you find them then slow down. When you find that first one, cast back to that same spot. They seem to be in tight schools in specific spots. Plastics have been working the best for us. Good luck

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.