• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any fishing reports? Thinking about skipping out of work on Thursday and chasing some crappies with a buddy. Is it a little to early? That is always the question.

Is Margaret open yet? Has to be close. I would think you can get into the Margaret from the channel by now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Traxxx

• Sportland_Bait

• gregg52

• centralmnguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hit a couple area lakes recently. 1st stop was a basin crappie bite. Fish scattered around the edge of the bowl from 24' - 27', suspended 10 foot down.  Dark 5mm jigs, tipped with dark, small minnow p

Pelican Lake Report: Crappies going good in 10' of water surrounding weeds/reeds. Crappies minnows and flu-flu jigs (yellow/white) on slip bobbers. Right before dusk about 6-8' down. Multiple limits

My son and I had a great day bass fishing the weekend of catch and release only. We caught almost 30 fish and the biggest was 23" 7.6lbs and the smallest was 20 3/4" all prespawn pigs on deep cranks o

Posted Images

Thanks for the link. Is this view from the North shore looking South, positioned about where the Loon's nest is in the summer?

Cragun's has a web cam - look at the link on their website with "today's weather".

Also Grandview Lodge at the bottom of their home page has a webcam link.

I would say Lower Hay looks just about open if not all the way. I would say Gull is going to be dang close by the weekend. At least better then last year with the ice off the lakes only days before opener.

Really, from the looks of the webcam there appears to be quite a bit of ice left. Is your post from personal inspection of the lake or the webcam as well?

We were hoping to put the docks in on Friday but that would require the lake to be pretty much 100% ice free. Fingers crossed!

Was on MB tonight. First run of the boat and all went well. We struck out. Talked to two other boats out there that did not catch anything as well. Beautiful night on the water!

WALLEYENUTZ

Looks as if Gull is really close(per webcams). Lots of dark ice and open spots. With the warm temps and high winds today, it should make some serious headway.

Lower Hay by the looks on the Web Cam has a good chunck of ice still on it.....can't tell for sure but there appears to be open water out past the sheet of ice...if that is the case it should go fast!!

How do you like living up there. You seem younger and was wondering because I think my girlfriend and I are moving up there!

motley man

Went by Hole in the Day today and there is still ice in the middle of the lake. This wind should take care of that in no time. Most other lakes are open.

Was out on whitefish tonight. some ice blown up against the shore but I'd consider it open from what I saw. Didn't cruise the whole thing, just from clamshell, bertha, middle wf etc.

Nothing but a few bass biting. nice night to be out though and feel the warm wind as we were cruising. Water temps varied widely from mid 50's in some parts to upper 40's in others.

ccarlson

WalleyeJeff

Great area to live and play. I have lived in different areas of the US over my short life span (46) but I ended up coming back to this area. Homes are readily available in all locations and prices seem to have leveled off. North of Brainerd is a great location as you are close to multiple lakes for rec, fishing, hunting or? Good paying jobs are thin at this time. Great rural area to raise kids / family.

Gull is mostly if not all open.

Fished margaret and Upper gull last night, not much going on. Water temps ranged from 45-57. Great to be out!

BHS

deerwoody

I will third that,tons to do and lots of fun.I'm 31 and am here to stay after moving back twice.If you are going to buy a home I would suggest hunting down some foreclosures they are all over and cheap.WJ is right jobs are tough to come by and not getting any better.

Well I work for an airline and commute out of Brainerd and my girlfriend is a nurse so hopefully she could find a job around!

FYI - My little lake in Crosslake was 50.8 degrees this morning at about 10. No fish biting, but was raining. My Grandson "had" to go fishing smile so we did until we got cold. Maybe by next weekend they might start popping better.

Box - Thanks for the update. Are you going to be on Cross for the Opener, or staying home? (check out my locations). How old is your grandson? Mine are 5, 3 and 2. What a joy is is to teach kids to fish all over again!

The fish are still holding out a bit deeper in 7-12 fow. wink Keep moving til you find them then slow down. When you find that first one, cast back to that same spot. They seem to be in tight schools in specific spots. Plastics have been working the best for us. Good luck

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  With water temps dropping, some beautiful walleyes caught this week.  Walleyes being targeted using three methods, drifting or slow trolling crawler harnesses, trolling crankbaits and vertical jigging.  Walleyes are located in various areas of the lake, deep mud, shallow water adjacent shorelines and deep water reefs.   As a rule, the larger walleyes have been over deep mud and deep structure.  As fall progresses, walleyes will start getting schooled up in key areas along the south shore, in many cases relating to shiner runs. 
      On the Rainy River...   Larger schools of shiners showing up in the river this week.  Shiners showing up under dock lights at night and on the sonar of anglers in Four Mile Bay and the mouth of the river.  Nice walleyes caught in the river this past week, but not the big numbers yet.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners.  Trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses covering water is still effective. Sturgeon activity increased this past week as well.  Various feeding windows throughout the day.  Find a deep hole using a sturgeon rig (2-4 ounce no roll sinker with 18" 60 lb test snell with a circle hook) loaded with crawlers and/or shiners.   
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Good numbers of walleyes caught this week up at the Angle.  Walleyes in 10 - 25' being caught with spinners / crawlers or minnows and trolling crankbaits with some jigging activity on structure beginning as the waters cool.  Muskies and big pike hitting spinners in bays and off of rocky points.  Smallmouth bass on rock structure in 5-15'.  Some big crappies and jumbo perch in the mix week as well. 

• RedSunset
      By RedSunset
      Is anyone out there getting tired of all these fishing tournaments?  Lake Vermilion just came off an August with way too much Bass tournament pressure.  Several folks are really concerned about what all that pressure is doing to our fish populations.  The week of August, first week of Sept. there was a 3 day B.A.S.S. event.  There was pre fishing all week then the 3 day event.  It looked like a swarm of locusts out here on the Lake.  People who live on the lake and people who came up for vacation to fish bass could hardly find a place to fish.  B.A.S.S does not practice true catch and release or Catch Record Release.  There practice is to catch hold in live well,  parade across a stage, hold the fish in a tank, releasing them somewhere in the lake.  The mortality must be quite high.  Besides the DNR is not monitoring how the fish are handled or where they are released.  Both are regulated in the Tournament guidelines for Lake Vermilion. Also those fish are displaced from their normal habitat.  Many residents on Lake Vermilion are complaining.  There are just too many fishing tournaments. Too much pre fishing.  Too often.  Time for the DNR and MN legislators to take a new look at the statutes governing them.
    • jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      28 here this morning.
      Ice fishin will be here before you know it. LOL
      Might even get here before deer huntin. lol
      Jim
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of walleyes caught this week on Lake of the Woods.  For many of the AIM tournament anglers, a lot of huge walleyes were caught this week.   Charter boats and guides doing a nice job of finding good schools of eater walleyes as well as the slots and trophies.  At times, eaters might be in a different location vs the big walleyes.  Walleyes are being caught in 14 - 36' of water.  Two main patterns, crawler harnesses and crankbaits.  Best spinner colors, hammered gold, pink, glow white, glow red or orange.  Shiny or brighter colors are good starts for crankbaits.  It is important to get cranks down to the fish.  In deeper water, downriggers, lead core line, snap weights and a 4-5 ounce bottom bouncer will all do the trick.
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes are scattered on flats and along breaks.  Trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses covering water is effective.  Anglers reporting a mixed bag of fish.  Sturgeon activity has picked up.  Target deep holes with sturgeon rigs and crawlers or frozen emerald shiners.  Smallmouth bass and pike continue to be active around current breaks, rocky areas and in bays.  There are 42 miles of navigable river from Wheeler's Point to Birchdale.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleye fishing continues to be very good up at the Angle.  Good numbers of fish living around Four Blocks and Little Oak Island.  Also good numbers of fish over the mud north and east of Little Oak Island.  Watch your electronics, scattered schools in many locations.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both are producing.  Again, some big pike caught this week by walleye anglers.  Some muskie action this week on topwater.  Smallmouth bass on rocks in 5-15'.  

• austin123456
      By austin123456
      Will be up in the sawbill area this weekend any info on any of these lakes spots colors techniques I would appreciate any info 
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great walleye fishing this week.   Different schools of fish around the lake being caught in 14 - 36' of water.  Trust your electronics.  Two strong patterns, pulling crawler harnesses and trolling crankbaits.  Covering water and moving is important.  Best spinner colors, hammered gold, pink, glow white, glow red or orange.  Mix up crankbaits until you get size, shape and colors dialed in.  2.2 - 2.8 a good range for speed.  Shiny or brighter colors are good starts.  Some schools are active, some inactive.  Different feeding windows throughout the day.  
      On the Rainy River...   Summer patterns continue.  "Resident" walleyes are scattered on flats and along breaks.  Trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses this time of year to cover water is effective.  Anglers reporting a mixed bag of fish.  Target sturgeon in deep holes with sturgeon rigs and crawlers or frozen emerald shiners.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and in bays. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle via boat.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Excellent walleye fishing this week.  Various schools of walleyes throughout the Angle.  Some nice fish around Four Blocks and Little Oak Island.  Other fish over mud in "no man's land" north and east of Little Oak Island.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both are producing good numbers of fish.  Again, some big pike caught this week by walleye anglers.  When targeting pike and muskies, casting bays and trolling rocky point areas will produce.  Smallmouth bass on rocks in 5-15'. 

• lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Hey guys! Some buddy's and I usually make the trip up to the Sioux Narrows of Lake of the Woods in June. This year with the border being closed, we went up to Lake Vermilion instead. It was our first time being on the lake. We caught quality fish of every species. Video linked below! 

• Mkregness
      By Mkregness
      Does anybody have any experience with Wilson lake? 
      It got good reports on the DNR survey but I’ve never fished it.
      looking for walleye in northerns.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.